Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.95 (148 bb)
CO: $3.63 (182 bb)
BU: $2.03 (102 bb)
SB (Hero): $1.94 (97 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q A
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Is 3 BB good enough here? Would 4 BB more EV, or it would make decent losing hole cards fold too much?

Flop: ($0.12) 3 A Q (2 players)

Now what? a half pot bet could be seen just as a standard CBet, someone with a decent Ace could even reraise. But Aces are scary cards, checking could show weakness and induce a bluff later? If V had trips Im doomed either way.

Hero checks, BB checks

Turn: ($0.12) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.05, BB raises to $0.21, Hero raises to $0.75, BB calls $0.54

Once more I thinly value betted trying to lure V into the pot, and was lucky V hit his second pair. Was the 3.5x raise good? An all in shove seemed too much now, saved for the river

River: ($1.62) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

sadly the flush came. I figured that any bet would only be called by the nut flush and decided to check call any.

Total pot: $1.62 (Rake: $0.08)

Showdown:
SB (Hero) shows Q A (two pair, Aces and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 75%, Flop: 96%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

BB shows A 9 (two pair, Aces and Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 25%, Flop: 4%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

SB (Hero) wins $1.54

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your 3bb preflop bet is quite good. With a hand like AQs, we want to play post-flop and don't want the opponent to throw away his hand. The flop check is the best option, all right. I also like the turn bet, we provoke the opponent to a bluff raise with a black flush draw or even with a pure bluff. The river is also played well, but I would put 33% and play a call raise. Although my line of play on the river is more dangerous. And so it's a matter of taste (if I may say so) Play more safely or get to the maximum.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is 2NL, don't miss your chance to bet on the OTF value. You can make a half pot or even a much larger size if this V is sticky.
On the turn I like your line. If V 4-bets you can induce bluffs on the river by just calling OTT.
You should definitely keep betting on the river. Unless your opponent thinks you are a maniac and could have the absolute nuts, you are still ahead of 2 pairs, the hand that your villain actually had. From the big blind your villain could have 3 combos: Q9s and you could have have AK with A of diamont.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop sizing is good. I like betting the flop here as there is worse that will call you. Two spades will call, Ax will call, Qx might call and smaller pocket pairs that villain did not 3 bet pre with might call. Checking gives a free card to a spade which if it came on the turn could either be your demise or could slow action down so I think betting is best and would go either 6 or 7 cents.

On the turn I would have bet again if I bet on the flop, as played Im glad you bet but would have gone larger than 5 cents. Villain now is calling or folding to most bets so 5 cents should get called just as often as 7 cents here so might as well go a little bigger. After we get raised I am thinking about whether I would want to go with this hand or not. There are two draws now so those could be what is behind the raise, could just be a "I think your bet is garbage" raise or it could be a weird A9, Q9, 99 situation. I lean towards we are still ahead here since I think 33 raises on the flop with two spades out there. I like re raising here and going from there. I could also see though calling and then bluff catching river but if villain is on a draw I think they bet when they hit and check and when they miss so bluff catching would not be good there. We could be betting right into it but I like being aggressive with top two pair on a double suited board and putting in the re raise as you did. I think that is the sizing I would choose as well and then obviously from there I am ready to get it in.

I hate the river being a diamond so at this point I would feel like I cant get better hands to fold and the worse hands will fold since the flush came in. I like checking the river as you did which is a little weird to do there given we just re raised turn but I like checking there. Its a rough spot if villain jams behind giving us 2.43 to 1 so we have to be good about 30% of the time. Not sure villain would do this with something worse than top 2 pair 30% of the time. Much easier hand if the river card would have cooperated but villain checked behind making it easier on you.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, on the flop I play cbet, for me it is a standard game. I agree with guys, who doesn't want to give a free turn card, because of flush. So on the flop cbet, at least 50% of the pot. IT is the blind vs blind game, so both players have usually wide range. As played – I agree that bet on the turn should be a little bigger, at least 50% of the pot, so on the turn bet. The river card – I play check and later I will decide what I to do if he bets on the river. On the river better play check, because we are OOP and better pot control. So good check on the river. GL :)

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your 3bb preflop bet is quite good. With a hand like AQs, ...

This is 2NL, don't miss your chance to bet on the OTF value. ...

Pre flop sizing is good. I like betting the flop here as there is worse that will call you. ...

Hello, on the flop I play cbet, for me it is a standard game. ...

Yeah, probably I need to stop overthinking, after Villains anh Hero aint that good anyway. In the end I got luck that turn card made V overbet and returned some value I had lost with not as much high as it should be betting, but river froze everythin. Thanks guys

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: fine.

F: mandatory cbet OOP for value and protection. Bet 100% pot.

T: as played, bet 100% pot and 3bet to 3x.

R: as played, we have to slow down and check/evaluate. We don't want to bet and get jammed on. We can check/call vs a small bet. It's a sick spot if villain jams vs our check.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On flop standard cbet 1/2 - 3/4 of pot for value and defence against draws. There is not so much trips because his range pretty wide.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is fine. I generally bet the same amount every time. AQ is a premium hand.

I bet the flop almost every time. Villain expect it, given you opened in the small blind. It is hard for her to have a good hand given you have top two. The most likely time to call with a flush draw is on the flop with two to come. At least make her pay to see the turn.

I would rather bet the flop a nd check the turn, but as played Hero needs to bet the turn.

There is very little Villain can have that she will call and lose with, so checking back is logical.