$2 NLHE 6-max: Straight over Straight

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 42/35/4

Just a bit of fun vs a loose aggressive player that made me laugh.

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 150.5 BB
CO: 106.5 BB
BTN: 106.5 BB
SB: 100 BB
BB: 109.5 BB
Hero (UTG): 138.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A J
Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.5 BB
Flop: (7.5 BB, 3 players) 8 T Q
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 4.5 BB, fold, BB calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 9
BB checks, Hero bets 11.5 BB, BB raises to 37 BB, Hero calls 25.5 BB

River: (90.5 BB, 2 players) K
BB bets 65.5 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 65.5 BB

BB shows J T (Straight, King High)
(Pre 29%, Flop 63%, Turn 45%)
Hero shows A J (Straight, Ace High)
(Pre 71%, Flop 37%, Turn 55%)
Hero wins 208 BB

Before going all in, Villain chatted "DO IT FISH!"

Pretty funny. If only it was always that easy.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
yes yes lol
nice when it works out.. sucks when its the other player

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s actually quite worthwhile posting this type of hands to help us understand what people are capable of. Especially in the micros. Of course it is easy if our hand turns into first nuts but still worthwhile. He could have had KJ too on the turn.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I definitely had KJ on my mind with the turn action as an outside chance. Against a player like this though I'm always going to be happy to get all the chips in the middle, I'll win a lot more than I lose.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the preflop and on the flop in General, a good game, but on the turn we have only 4 outs, while there is a flash draw and therefore we have only 3 clean outs,we must do fold. We will lose more often in this situation than we will win

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but on the turn we have only 4 outs, while there is a flash draw and therefore we have only 3 clean outs,we must do fold. We will lose more often in this situation than we will win

I think, you might be misreading the board? Hero had a straight already on the turn. The river just improved his hand to a better straight. We absolutely cannot fold on the turn, and even on a blank river this would still be a reluctant call, since it is going to be a chopped pot the majority of the time. If the river was Qc or 9c completing both flushes and boats, and Villain still jammed, that is the time, we at least have to consider folding.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 42/35/4

Just a bit of fun vs a loose aggressive player that made me laugh.

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 150.5 BB
CO: 106.5 BB
BTN: 106.5 BB
SB: 100 BB
BB: 109.5 BB
Hero (UTG): 138.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A J
Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.5 BB
Flop: (7.5 BB, 3 players) 8 T Q
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 4.5 BB, fold, BB calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 9
BB checks, Hero bets 11.5 BB, BB raises to 37 BB, Hero calls 25.5 BB

River: (90.5 BB, 2 players) K
BB bets 65.5 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 65.5 BB

BB shows J T (Straight, King High)
(Pre 29%, Flop 63%, Turn 45%)
Hero shows A J (Straight, Ace High)
(Pre 71%, Flop 37%, Turn 55%)
Hero wins 208 BB

Before going all in, Villain chatted "DO IT FISH!"

Pretty funny. If only it was always that easy.

Hey GreenDaddy, thank you for posting this nice hand. I liked very much the way was played, however, I didn't like your small preflop raise: for some fishes it doesn't make any difference paying 0,5 blinds or not, specially when they are in the SB with a very capped and dominated range.
Unless you have a very loose aggressive approach from the UTG, opening more than 15% of hands, I guess that 2.5x give good odds both for the player in the BTN to call wide and play in position, specially because there is a fish in the SB:
Many regulars will try to level against your small raises out of position by calling from the button to give better odds for a recreational player in the blinds to also enter the pot and increase the implied odds of the player in the BTN.
The SB will almost always calls here because the price is better, because now SB only need to invest 2 blinds for a pot of over 6.5 blinds, and if the BB enters the hand, better the implied odds.
When SB calls your raise, the player in the BB feels its odds are better and will call you with a bunch of suited connectors trying to explore UTG's and SB's capped range, when it hits good equities and playabilities postflop with FD, SD, Gutshots, Two Pair, Trips, etc.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, you might be misreading the board? Hero had a straight already on the turn. The river just improved his hand to a better straight. We absolutely cannot fold on the turn, and even on a blank river this would still be a reluctant call, since it is going to be a chopped pot the majority of the time. If the river was Qc or 9c completing both flushes and boats, and Villain still jammed, that is the time, we at least have to consider folding.

Indeed, I didn't see that there was a ready-made straight on the turn