$2 NLHE 6-max: Straight Flush. How to improve the gains?

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 62/62/4

Dindt have many hands on the Villain, but would say he was more on the LAG side. Call out of position pretty standard for me, as Id like to see the flop and wouldnt fight a reraise.

Didnt value bet on the flop cause didnt want to flush scare his CB.
Same on the flop with runner runner flush and staight, but he got shy.
On the river would love if he had J, or AJ even to counterfeit the flush menace. Waited for the bluff, that didnt come.
I have the impression that any value betting on turn or river would lead to fold. Wrong? And is the straight flush doomed to not get much action?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb)
MP: $2.26 (113 bb)
CO: $3.60 (180 bb)
BU: $8.65 (433 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $3.91 (196 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with K J
3 players fold, BTN raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.07, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.24) 5 9 T (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18, BB folds

Turn: ($0.60) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.60) K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Total pot: $0.60 (Rake: $0.03)

Showdown:
BU shows 6 K (a flush, Queen high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 0%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

SB (Hero) shows K J (a straight flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 100%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

SB (Hero) wins $0.57

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJs is a mandatory 3-bet SB vs BU RFI. You don't want to give BB a good price to call and realise equity of any 2 and you can put pressure on the wide BU range. Playing a condensed range OOP is particularly grim and cold-calling here pretty much ensures that we're playing multiway OOP with a weak(ish) range. Remember, you're not here to see flops. You're here to make money.

3-betting KJs is not even a bluff. KJs is just in a good spot against the BU RFI range of most players so we can 3-bet for value. We can even peel or 5-bet bluff facing a balanced BU 4-betting and 5-bet calling range (or make an exploitative fold against super nitty players in which case 3-betting is just auto-profit so we're happy either way).

As played, check to the raiser on the flop and bet the nuts on the turn. Sadly, monotone boards just don't invite any action. If they're holding the ace of hearts it doesn't matter what you do because you win a stack anyway. If they're not holding the ace of hearts you want to put weaker hearts and two-pair + in a tough spot by betting the turn and river.

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks.
I didnt feel confortable to be aggressive OOP.
Something I need to add to my game.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any time you have a monster like that, the only real way to get a lot of money is if villain has a strong 2nd best hand, or if he is a bluff muppet and likes betting into the nuts.

Unfortunately he was neither. I do think that after the turn goes check/check, a small river bet might have got value from his tiny little flush.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: very marginal vs 4x open, but better than 3betting.

I don't like 3betting OOP because the majority of the population in nl2 flat too wide IP vs 3bets from the blinds.

A 62/62 guy is the worst player to 3bet in this spot: he is never folding preflop and probably getting sticky postflop as well. So, we're playing hit-or-miss postflop.

F: easy check/raise multi-way, especially since we're vs a 62/62 guy. Chances are he's a non-believer.

T: this is why we have easy check/raise on the flop. As played, we must check/get money in.

R: we have to bet 100% pot as a minimum, checking the river is a mistake.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I prefer to 3-bet rather than just call.

Flop
There is some merit to check-calling here to try and lure BB to come along, but my main play would be to go for a small check-raise and try to stack the BTN maniac.

Turn
As played I would not lead on this card, because now its really difficult for him to call, unless he has specifically A of hearts, and if he has that, he is going to bet it himself.

River
Given that he checked back turn, you need to bet for value now. If he wanted to bluff, he would have done it already, and after the turn went check-check, it can look like, you are trying to steal the pot. So just make the simple play and bet something like 30-40c into the 60c pot to get a hero call from a hand like the one, he had.

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting. Various different approaches, cant say any of those was wrong, and they actuall will work many times.
Thanks for the input!

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about 3betting
Aims to 3bet in this situation:
1 get value with strong hand;
2 force villain to fold (fold equity) with mediocre hand.

Our hand not so strong and we have no fold equity against lag, so i prefer call here.

L

lcartaxo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop: I certainly 3bet in hero position. Villain seems to bet pretty wide, so I prefer to 3bet OOP and finish this hand.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our hand not so strong and we have no fold equity against lag, so i prefer call here.

You can not logically hold the assumptions that villain is a LAG and that we have no fold equity. Against someone that opens too wide (i.e. wider than the equilibrium strategy) the proper exploitative adjustment is to 3-bet wider as well. Because villain is presumably opening too many hands, either villain has to continue with a very wide range (in which case we're happy because we just 3-bet for value) or villain has to fold a lot (in which case we are also happy because we win the pot). Either way, the tendency of villain to open too wide is exploited by us 3-betting more.

Increasing our calling frequency has the opposite effect. Especially when villain is sitting IP. Villain is opening too wide, they aren't punished, and suddenly we're playing a capped range OOP where it's very hard for us to get any value if we have the goods, because we can't bet for value we can't really bluff so our total air just loses, and the best we can do is pray to not make calling or folding mistakes. At the same time it's very easy for villain to bet a polarised range with value and air, and to realise equity with all the marginal stuff.

In a situation where we have no calling range, and I don't think we should want a calling range in the small blind in most circumstances, that means we can just add stuff to the bottom of our 3-betting range. Since KJs is already solidly placed as a pure 3-bet in the equilibrium of BU vs SB, facing someone that opens too wide, turning this hand into a pure call just doesn't make sense.

Full Flush Poker