$2 NLHE 6-max: Squeezed from BB, short stack called, Awkward position

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When SB called I was very confused how to handle this on the flop. The pot is 58c and he has 48c behind, I have bottom pair with backdoor draws. Was not sure how to play this, if we check what are the chances he shoves all in on the turn? I felt like the chances were good he may do this, is this incorrect thinking? seems like these fishy broken stack players can be pretty unpredictable. Maybe checking flop with the idea of calling turn on a decent card is better than shoving flop ourselves? I opted for 1/3 pot and I'm not sure what to think about this action.

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.31 (116 bb)
MP: $1.46 (73 bb)
CO: $2.90 (145 bb)
BU: $2.27 (114 bb)
SB: $0.72 (36 bb)
BB (Hero): $7.87 (394 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A 9
3 players fold, BTN raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, Hero 3-bets to $0.26, 1 fold, SB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.58) Q J 9 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.18, SB calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.94) 6 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.44, SB calls $0.28 (all-in)

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played can we check/fold the turn on this card?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Calling or 3-betting are both fine.

Flop
I would definitely check back for pot control. You are never getting a better hand or a hand with a lot of equity to fold, and you are also not ahead when called. In top of that he is so short, that he can easily check-jam on you, and if he does so, are you really happy to call off with bottom pair?

Turn
Awkward spot, when he has so little left, but I still dont see betting doing anything here. Check back and hope to improve, or that he check again on the river.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Let's break this one down.

Pre: Awesome sizing, good spot for this, so well done laddie!

Flop: you get called by a short stacked player...the types of hands he has are very narrow. We should proceed with caution with medium strength hands or draws. That means we can bet liberally with thin value since his range is capped and he likely will be sticky.

The Board: We must also consider the flop texture. This is NOT a 1/3 cbet spot, no way! Typically I'd go half pot here (maybe a tad larger, but not too big.)

Why? We have a big range advantage with top pairs, over pairs, sets and two pairs, and even straights (we could conceivably have all combos of those I mentioned.)

However, V's will be able to defend well on this board. They can also check raise a lot, which is why we can't bomb it often, so a medium size is all that remains. 1/2 pot to 2/3. We should be selective with our bets as well.

Against a short stack, its odd. I wouldn't be against a shove here, but two medium bets would do it too.

A9s is a medium hand that doesn't get much protection or value from betting. You'd likely fold it to a raise, so check it on the flop.

I'd try to get it to showdown.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I like calling here more than 3 betting but that is me. Unless I think both villains will fold to the 3 bet I generally just take a flop here. When you get called for 26 cents by a player who only has 72 cents to start the hand you know they are not going anywhere. So as soon as villains calls I would take bluffing out of the equation except in some possible rare circumstances.

On the flop since villain has so little behind and we dont have a great hand, but we have something I like just checking back here. Plus the overcards that could come on the turn either give us two pair or at least give us some kind of straight draw. This would be a spot where I would think villain if they were really strong would have just got in it pre against our raise. I also think the Q and J hit them pretty well so I like just seeing if we can get through this one cheaply and just checking.

As played on the turn not sure what betting will do now as anything worse will fold and anything better is of course calling with so little behind going to the turn. You definitely need to check the turn if you bet the flop. It would setup an awkward river but then you could make your decision on whether you want to attempt a bluff catch or not.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I like calling here more than 3 betting but that is me.

It might be slightly results oriented, but I also think, just calling would work better with this particular hand and the broken stack in SB. Someone sitting with 36BB on a cash table is almost always on the fishy side of the spectrum, so I dont think, there is quite as much fold equity, as we would ideally like, if we 3-bet with a hand like A9s. And if the fish does anything other than fold, I am not happy about it.

Moreover we can easily get the money in postflop against the fish without 3-betting pre, and we have position on him. So against him in particular the 3-bet almost help him by taking away our positional advantage and likely postflop skill edge. If we just call, we will also need to content with BTN, but in a 3-way pot with a short stacked fish involved, BTN will need to play in a manner, which is fairly face up, so I am not to worried about that either.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if I would want to squeeze here with A9s... I guess its fine? But you have to expect that SB is more inclined to call or maybe even shove with more equity due to short stack. On the flop you should just check behind. You have showdown value. You wanna be raising with good hands and good draws.

Turn, you kinda just dug yourself in here. I think you should check fold all day.