$2 NLHE 6-max: Should I have called?

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, do you think this is a good fold? I mean, I think the two previous calls are good, right? I calculated the equity vs the odds I was getting and it seemed like I was good. But the river scared me because now I have both a king or a queen, both of which are very much in his range. And even if he were to not have a king but have a queen, most of the time he has a better kicker to his queen (aq or kq), right? So I just thought that with the king on the river, I was too scared. But it seems like maybe I was 50/50...he either could have been bluffing or he had me beat. Hopefully this makes some sense. I'm pretty new so I'm trying my best to explain my reasoning. Thanks for your input.

Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 101.5 BB
UTG: 50 BB
CO: 58 BB
BTN: 116 BB
Hero (SB): 98 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:heart: Q:club:

fold, fold, BTN calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 3 BB, BB raises to 8.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 5.5 BB

Flop: (18 BB, 2 players) 5:spade: 2:diamond: Q:diamond:
Hero checks, BB bets 6 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Turn: (30 BB, 2 players) 5:club:
Hero checks, BB bets 20 BB, Hero calls 20 BB

River: (70 BB, 2 players) K:club:
Hero checks, BB bets 67 BB and is all-in, fold

BB wins 66.5 BB

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm betting the turn here a lot of the time, because I like to have an aggressive bluff and value range in blind battles OOP. It's hard for him to raise here unless he has a big draw, so you can set the price (pot control to some extent) and make sure you get value from worse hands. If he calls the turn, then you can set a price you'd be willing to call with if you checked the river (and you can't be bluffed at the point w/ the stack sizes).

I know most people will c/c this down, but I think it's way higher EV to be betting that turn, unless your opponent is overly aggressive and your plan is to c/c for value. As played, river is pretty close. I'm making the call/ fold decisions mainly on his post flop aggression on the turn and river. If both are on the high side I'm calling, if not, folding. In a wind tunnel, at these stakes, fold is ok.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Blind vs. blind QJo is probably supposed to be defended against a 3-bet especially for this sizing. However it would be nice to have some info on the Villain like HUD-stats. At 2NL there are quite a few very straight forward players, who will basically never have a bluff, when they choose to 3-bet blind vs. blind. If they have a weak hand, they will just call, so when they 3-bet, its always a big pair, AK or maybe AQ. And obviously against that kind of range QJo is totally smoked. So I actually dont hate just letting it go.

Flop
As played you obviously have to call that small C-bet. You do at least beat some hands in his range now like AK, TT, JJ.

Turn
This is the next point in the hand, where a lot of straight forward regulars in the micros will essentially never have a bluff, when they put in that big turn bet. Or maybe they are bluffing 10-20% of the time at most. So once again if he was that player type, I would not hate getting out now.

River
As played I would also fold now. AK got there, and if nothing else that means, he have one obvious hand less to bluff with. It all boils back to preflop, because for him to even have a bluff now, he would need to have 3-bet you light with for instance some suited hands, that picked up a flushdraw. But if the only suited hands in his range are AK and AQ, then how can he even have a bluff here? He would need to be turning a hand like TT or JJ into a bluff, and at 2NL very few players will do something like that. 2NL is all about getting value, when you have a big hand and not paying other people off, when they have a big hand.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Blind vs. blind QJo is probably supposed to be defended against a 3-bet especially for this sizing. However it would be nice to have some info on the Villain like HUD-stats. At 2NL there are quite a few very straight forward players, who will basically never have a bluff, when they choose to 3-bet blind vs. blind. If they have a weak hand, they will just call, so when they 3-bet, its always a big pair, AK or maybe AQ. And obviously against that kind of range QJo is totally smoked. So I actually dont hate just letting it go.

Flop
As played you obviously have to call that small C-bet. You do at least beat some hands in his range now like AK, TT, JJ.

Turn
This is the next point in the hand, where a lot of straight forward regulars in the micros will essentially never have a bluff, when they put in that big turn bet. Or maybe they are bluffing 10-20% of the time at most. So once again if he was that player type, I would not hate getting out now.

River
As played I would also fold now. AK got there, and if nothing else that means, he have one obvious hand less to bluff with. It all boils back to preflop, because for him to even have a bluff now, he would need to have 3-bet you light with for instance some suited hands, that picked up a flushdraw. But if the only suited hands in his range are AK and AQ, then how can he even have a bluff here? He would need to be turning a hand like TT or JJ into a bluff, and at 2NL very few players will do something like that. 2NL is all about getting value, when you have a big hand and not paying other people off, when they have a big hand.

Fundiver, thanks again sir. This is very helpful

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm betting the turn here a lot of the time, because I like to have an aggressive bluff and value range in blind battles OOP. It's hard for him to raise here unless he has a big draw, so you can set the price (pot control to some extent) and make sure you get value from worse hands. If he calls the turn, then you can set a price you'd be willing to call with if you checked the river (and you can't be bluffed at the point w/ the stack sizes).

I know most people will c/c this down, but I think it's way higher EV to be betting that turn, unless your opponent is overly aggressive and your plan is to c/c for value. As played, river is pretty close. I'm making the call/ fold decisions mainly on his post flop aggression on the turn and river. If both are on the high side I'm calling, if not, folding. In a wind tunnel, at these stakes, fold is ok.

Thanks for this! I like the idea of betting the turn and setting my price

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
We need information on how this player acts pre-flop out of the BB. Villain has seen the button enter the pot and a bet from you in the small blind.
Villain decides to re-raise, showing strength.
On the flop the fairly weak cbet appears to indicate he is not protecting a set against a draw.
This may indicate he has the nut flush draw and perhaps AdKd or AdQd.
Villains actions on the turn and river indicate he believes he's best, after seeing you call on the turn he is not worried.
Rule of thumb is " when they bet on the turn they usually have it, when their action is very strong on the river they always have it.
Good fold.