$2 NLHE 6-max: Should I bet 30ish bb on turn instead?

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

I don't know how to bring my stats from PT4 but the villain was a fish.

UTG: 100 BB
CO: 49.5 BB
BTN: 120.5 BB
Hero (SB): 262.5 BB
BB: 100.5 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:club: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, fold, BTN calls 9 BB

Flop: (25 BB, 2 players) 3:club: 7:club: 4:spade:
Hero bets 16 BB, BTN calls 16 BB

Turn: (57 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
Hero bets 46.5 BB, BTN raises to 92.5 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 46 BB

RESULTS ARE BELOW

River: (242 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:

BTN shows 2:diamond: 2:heart: (One Pair, Twos)
(Pre 18%, Flop 10%, Turn 5%)
Hero shows Q:club: Q:diamond: (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 82%, Flop 90%, Turn 95%)
Hero wins 230 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Obviously fine to 3-bet QQ, and I like the 4X sizing out of position.

Flop
I am fine putting out a big C-bet against a fish on this low connected board.

Turn
Yes I think, you should bet around 30-35BB for pot geometry reasons. By going so big you commit yourself to the pot, and you only leave a third pot bet behind for the river. This mean, that when you bet the river, you can probably never have any bluffs. Maybe not a big deal at 2NL, but against better opponents you dont want to create such spots. You want to keep your bet sizes more uniform between turn and river. When he raise, I am not loving it, but its still an easy call. You are getting like 4:1, and he could be doing this with a worse overpair.

Results
Another example of just how bad players are at 2NL. Some people in CC forum claim, 2NL is tough these days, but where do these people play? :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say your question depends on the read of your opponent. If you are correct here that villain is a fish then you have a lot of leeway in your bet sizing as long as you dont go too small. If they truly are fishy they might have a knack for calling down to see all five cards and then fold if they dont have it on the river. Betting as large as you did though gave the opponent basically no choice but to call the river (assuming they only called the turn) because the price would be so good. Against better players or just even non fish, you would want to go smaller here to keep them in the hand at the turn since non fish players will begin to float less and fold more on the turn when they sense they are not strong enough to continue. Since you correctly diagnosed your opponent as a fish I think your bet sizing was good. Better players will fold their 2s and other weak hands as a result of this bet so against them you would almost be making a negative expectation bet by going this large. This hand is just another example that we all should be tailoring our sizing depending on who we are playing against.