$2 NLHE 6-max: Should I XR flop or smooth call?

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 109 BB
Hero (SB): 108.5 BB
BB: 379 BB
UTG: 207.5 BB
CO: 97 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 5:heart: 5:diamond:

UTG raises to 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, Hero calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 5 players) 5:club: K:heart: T:spade:
Hero checks, BB bets 11 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 11 BB, Hero calls 11 BB

Turn: (48 BB, 3 players) 9:spade:
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN checks

River: (48 BB, 3 players) 6:diamond:
Hero bets 33 BB, BB raises to 66 BB, fold, Hero raises to 94.5 BB and is all-in, BB calls 28.5 BB

Do I ever just call here vs the river raise or do I always get it in and live with losing to QJ when they have it.

RESULTS ARE BELOW

Hero shows 5:heart: 5:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Fives)
(Pre 53%, Flop 94%, Turn 82%)
BB shows 6:spade: K:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Sixes)
(Pre 47%, Flop 6%, Turn 18%)
Hero wins 225.5 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Totally on board with going for a setmine out of position in a multiway pot.

Flop
I am definitely check-raising this, and especially when someone have called the original bet. Gotta build that pot and get some value. You cant rely on these donkeys to do it for you.

Turn
This is why, check-calling on the flop is such a disaster. Now you have allowed two players to see both cards for the price of just one bet and realise all their equity with draws.

River
Obviously have to bet and try to get some value now after having butchered the hand by not raising on the flop. When he raise its kind of an interesting spot. He is mostly representing something, he sandbagged on the turn or a wild bluff. So the question is, how often does he slowplay two pair? Or (after seeing the results) is he bad enough to show up with a hand like K6 and play it like this? The situation is somewhat strange, so I probably lean towards just calling and getting myself to showdown.

Results
Another example of just how bad players are at 2NL. You got quite lucky here, that he improved on the river and decided to raise you. But a guy like this is not bet-folding top pair on the flop, not even with a bad kicker. And he is also not folding on the turn, when he pick up a flushdraw. So just get that check-raise in on the flop and go from there :)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop

Flop
I am definitely check-raising this, and especially when someone have called the original bet. Gotta build that pot and get some value. You cant rely on these donkeys to do it for you.

Turn
This is why, check-calling on the flop is such a disaster. Now you have allowed two players to see both cards for the price of just one bet and realise all their equity with draws.

River
Obviously have to bet and try to get some value now after having butchered the hand by not raising on the flop. When he raise its kind of an interesting spot. He is mostly representing something, he sandbagged on the turn or a wild bluff. So the question is, how often does he slowplay two pair? Or (after seeing the results) is he bad enough to show up with a hand like K6 and play it like this? The situation is somewhat strange, so I probably lean towards just calling and getting myself to showdown.

Results
Another example of just how bad players are at 2NL. You got quite lucky here, that he improved on the river and decided to raise you. But a guy like this is not bet-folding top pair on the flop, not even with a bad kicker. And he is also not folding on the turn, when he pick up a flushdraw. So just get that check-raise in on the flop and go from there :)

Hi first I want to tell you that I always read your hand analysis and I learn a lot at every opportunity and that is why I want to ask you a question is it so wrong to call on the flop when you hit the set, I understand that you are giving one more card but how could you anticipate that The turn was going to be check, check and check ?. I mentioned this because you could add value to the hand by check /raise the turn.

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop

Flop

Turn

River

Results

So I wanna give my own thoughts on this hand and the reasons I did not reraise it on the flop.

Preflop
I just called along with the rest of the table looking to set mine, even from the small blind.

Flop
The flop is a rainbow dry board with basically QJ being the only real draw with a couple gutshots as well and I have bottom set. The person who bet "donk bet" into a 5way pot into the initial raiser. Since this is usually a sign of a weaker hand/bad player at 2NL and I had another caller come along who knew that I thought there was gonna be enough here to check raise all in on the turn vs whatever bet happened. Since the board was so dry I'm not afraid of too much here and would love to see one of them make two pair or another K roll off and give them trips. That was why I smooth called instead, whether it be right or wrong is another topic.

Turn
Sadly one of the few bad cards came and not only that but it created a backdoor flushdraw on top of completing the obvious straight draw. Now weirdly enough it checked all the way through here which is bad for me in the sense I lose alot of value but at the same time I gotta believe I'm good here almost everytime at 2NL unless someone is just setting a trap with QJ or checked back their flush draw. It's unfortunate yes but I could always boat up or see a blank come on the river. (which basically did because I can't imagine 66 or 78 getting here) I may lose value in some ways by neglecting to checkraise flop but I think if I plan to check raise turn vs a player who may be willing to spew more chips into a big pot with a bad hand it's a little better at least. (Sadly he did not though so I may be incorrect at least about the player)

River
A blank comes and I gotta bet for value, in a previous hand I posted I bet too much in a slightly similar spot but this time I think I made the right bet size for value because of how much I have behind, I assumed any raise would put me all in and I'd likely end up calling. However the player who donk bet flop gave me a min raise on the river and I thought to myself, I'd never believe he had a set here when it checked through on the turn or 78 here so the only hand I'm gonna lose to is QJ in my mind while I beat all bluffs and any raise for "value" he made with a worse hand. He's never folding if I ship it so I decided to get max value from anything he had and if it was the QJ then good for him. (Maybe I should just call but I really just thought I was good here and wanted max value)

The player who did all this was in the big blind getting about 5:1 on a call preflop so he could have a ton of weaker two pairs/whatever

I saw greatgames reply and I'm in agreement with him about this, however most of the time I would usually check raise flop like you said but I do not personally think planning to check raise turn here would be that bad. However we both could be wrong for all I know:)As always thanks for your time fundiver

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi first I want to tell you that I always read your hand analysis and I learn a lot at every opportunity and that is why I want to ask you a question is it so wrong to call on the flop when you hit the set, I understand that you are giving one more card but how could you anticipate that The turn was going to be check, check and check ?. I mentioned this because you could add value to the hand by check /raise the turn.

I would be more inclined to check-call the flop, if it was a heads-up pot, where the preflop aggressor had C-bet the flop. Then there is a much higher chance, he has a strong hand like AA, AK or KQ, and that he will bet it again for value on the turn. Or that he will continue to bluff on some turn cards.

In this spot we have a fishy donk better taking the initiative on the flop, and someone else calling behind. The donk better is unlikely to have AA or AK, since he just called preflop, and he is also unlikely to bluff again on the turn, when he got two callers on the flop. So in this exact situation I think, it generates more value to check-raise the flop and simply take control of the hand. You dont have to make it huge, since the pot is already bloated. You can almost min-click it to something like 25BB, and that will then either induce someone to come over the top or create a situation, where you can easily jam the turn and be done.