$2 NLHE 6-max: Should I have been calling from the Small Blind?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flatting in the SB should only be used as an exploit against villains with certain tendencies, you have the worst position on the table post flop and you still have a player left to act behind you that can make you fold your equity.

Just fold

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pete Clarke is a phenomenal 6 max cash game coach, this is where I started, it's the best free cash game crash course on the internet in my opinion. This is done through pokerstars School but I've moved on to some of his paid content as well.

Hope it helps!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is rarely a good play to call from SB, and if you just never do it, you are not making a big mistake if any. The few situations, where I might consider it, is, if I have a pocket pair, and I am facing a mini-raise. Or in a tournament, where I want to play for pot control, because its on the bubble. Otherwise 3-betting or folding is almost always the best play from SB. This hand is a pretty clear fold. When Villain raise so big, its probably even a fold from BB, and much more so from SB. Your donk bet was also not a good play. You had absolutely nothing, so on the flop you should just check and give up. But much better to not even see the flop.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop it's just a fold. Suited you could consider a 3 bet. Post flop why did you lead out with no equity ? After you've called it's simply a check fold on the flop you haven't connected with the board. If you think you can outplay him and float the flop looking to take it away from him on later streets then check call but I wouldn't even advise this. Just fold pre

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most dislike the call preflop, I don't mind it sometimes but I usually wouldn't play that one unless it's suited. The donk-bet on the flop made no sense. It became an immediate check/fold postflop

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the call short handed, but many people fold there. The donk bet looks really bluffy, so it's only useful against a very weak player, or when you hit vs a non believer. Folding would be my first choice.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. You often see late position open 3.5x 2 bets in cash games. Won't think nothing of it unless I have history with the guy to know he's never doing that unless he has a premium hand. If he has a premium hand, that means great implied odds for you which is more incentive to call.

Cash games are more about gambling than any format. Players pay to draw provided the math says so. You can always reload. Blinds stay the same. When there's bigger stacks and you're a big stack then the implied odds go thru the roof.

T9o is a great draw potential hand to to see a flop

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I think it's either a fold or a 3bet, preferably a fold.
But if you are going to 3bet or call if you want, do so with T9s.
With T9o you are going to miss on a lot of flops where you have to fold to a cbet.
Even in those boards that you hit, you might be dominated and lose a big pot.

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a fan of calling from the small blind, rather a fold pre here with T9o. Would consider a 3bet with suited connectors, medium pairs, Broadways etc but with T9o just a fold for me.