$2 NLHE 6-max: Set versus aggro-fish

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This opponent I had observed he had on more than one occasion overbet the pot on the flop in multi-way pots, in an earlier hand I layed down a big hand because he donked into 4 people in a SRP to find out he had a weak PP he turned bluff, it had been a re-occuring theme throughout the session with his flop -overbets, and aggressive weird style.

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $7.14 (357 bb)
MP (Hero): $6.47 (324 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $1.40 (70 bb)
SB: $2.10 (105 bb)
BB: $1.70 (85 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with 3 3
UTG calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BTN calls $0.02, 1 fold, BB checks

Flop: ($0.11) T 3 7 (5 players)
BB bets $0.16, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.16, CO calls $0.16, BU folds

Turn: ($0.59) K (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, CO folds, BB calls $0.20

River: ($0.99) 5 (2 players)
BB bets $1.32 (all-in), Hero calls $1.32

Total pot: $3.63 (Rake: $0.13)

Showdown:
BB shows 5 5 (three of a kind, Fives)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 11%, Turn: 5%, River: 100%)

MP (Hero) shows 3 3 (three of a kind, Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: 89%, Turn: 95%, River: 0%)

BB wins $3.50

I had decided to let him sink himself by betting into me, the river makes 1 straight but is this just a suck-out situation?

.... can we actually fold and give him credit for random 64? If its set over set we just accept the bad luck right, we can never fold?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Fine to limp behind with a small PP.

Flop
Totally on board with just calling with the dynamics described and players left to act behind.

Turn
I would go a bit larger like 40c. You dont need to give such a great price to a player like this.

River
Just an annoying bad beat. Find something to bite but at all means stay on this table and look forward to play more hands against this person.

2nji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop: good call it keeps players in the pot by giving them good odds

Turn: would have bet larger here since we know BB calls wide and we want to give him bad odds.

River: can't fault the call as folding against the wide range of hands villain takes to the river would lose money long term.

in my opinion its just a bad beat. but you stand to gain a lot more long term versus this player.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
.... can we actually fold and give him credit for random 64?

I answered already but to be more specific: No we can not give him credit for only having 64 or a higher set. I think, a player like this is certainly capable of somehow arriving on the river with 64. But he is also capable of arriving with K5, T5, 75 and to overvalue those two pair hands. Or he could just be on a wild bluff, as he was on the flop. If he is able to overbet the flop into 4 opponents with absolutely nothing, then why would he not do the same on the river against a single opponent. So its one of those, where we just close our eyes, put the money in, and hope we are good.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Fine to limp behind with a small PP.

Flop
Totally on board with just calling with the dynamics described and players left to act behind.

Turn
I would go a bit larger like 40c. You dont need to give such a great price to a player like this.

River
Just an annoying bad beat. Find something to bite but at all means stay on this table and look forward to play more hands against this person.

if the villain is so wide and loose , if we bet small on the turn we keep alot of his junk in the hand I thought, is this not really the approach we want to use at low stakes? rather pile the money in against fish and bet 2/3 pot giving his draws bad odds? he must have more than just draws though thats where I get confused. I want to give his draws a bad price but with all the junk this player can be in the hand with that I have dominated I want to keep him in, not sure what to do, it would be a shame if he folded turn

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the villain is so wide and loose , if we bet small on the turn we keep alot of his junk in the hand I thought

But if he is this wild and loose, does he even care about your sizing? Or could a larger sizing look more like a bluff, especially if you take some time to pretend, you are really thinking about it? Maybe you could even get him to spazz out and check-jam the turn with air? I dont think, your sizing is a major mistake, but I am not convinced, its optimal either.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if he is this wild and loose, does he even care about your sizing? Or could a larger sizing look more like a bluff, especially if you take some time to pretend, you are really thinking about it? Maybe you could even get him to spazz out and check-jam the turn with air? I dont think, your sizing is a major mistake, but I am not convinced, its optimal either.

I think your right, I should probrably just size up for pure value at my stakes and charge the fish. still learning as I go, trying to break free from 2nl I'm almost at the next stake but I still see tons of holes. One of my weaknesses may be that I try to keep them in too wide instead of trying to extract maximum value with my best made hands.