$2 NLHE 6-max: Set over set

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played the hand fine, and got very unlucky with your set of Queens losing to a set of Aces.

Personally, I would have 4 bet/called the inevitable 5 bet preflop, but that wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Certain hands in Holdem are just unfortunate coolers, and you *should* be losing a stack with them. Most set over sets, 2nd nut flush vs nut flush on a board with 3 flush cards. You will be on the winning end of those types of hands enough for it to even out in the long run.

M

Mybeardisevil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played the hand fine, and got very unlucky with your set of Queens losing to a set of Aces.

Personally, I would have 4 bet/called the inevitable 5 bet preflop, but that wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Certain hands in Holdem are just unfortunate coolers, and you *should* be losing a stack with them. Most set over sets, 2nd nut flush vs nut flush on a board with 3 flush cards. You will be on the winning end of those types of hands enough for it to even out in the long run.
thank you so much!

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this was a cooler. Villain had AK, AQ and 99 in their range so most of the time, you would be the one winning a stack.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is definitely a cooler but as Sidetracked notes we shouldn't focus too much on this particular hand and more on what range of hands you're playing against here. In general people raise wide from the BTN, so V should be 3 betting a fair amount. When we are as strong as QQ I think BTN vs BB we should have some 4 bets here. In this case it doesn't change the outcome but if V has TT or JJ or AJs or some of the many other hands he can 3 bet with we want to have a 4 bet range that's wider than just KK+, AK.

Also, after playing it a bit slow and snug pre flop it appears you switch gears and play it very fast post flop. You're jamming $1.57 into $0.68. This is a 2.3x overbet jam. You'll be scaring away hands like AJs with this play and even scare away some heart draws. You want these hands to continue, not fold. Since the Ace of hearts is on the board and it's a 3 bet pot I think we can raise smaller or even flat flop and bet / jam turn instead for all the times he has AK, AQ, AJ, and any hands he may bluff with like KK, KQ, JT, KJ. As played we get zero value from this second tier of weaker hands and may also get folds from Ax.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is 100% a cooler, you played the hand really well. It might be worth next time be willing to 4bet the BB 3bet if they seem to be defending with a much wider range than normal (not sure about this one) but you are blocking/betting most of his range through the whole hand and just happen to be caught against the very top of it here. Nicely played all in all

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. Only one hand beat you. Definitely cooler.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Classic cooler. Angry and merciless) It happens sometimes ...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A cooler or did I play this badly?

To be honest I think both. Its definitely a cooler, and there is no way to avoid getting stacked. But against his entire range I dont think, jamming the flop for 1,3x the pot was the optimal strategy. In position you can always make sure, a bet goes in on the turn, so I much prefer to simply call and disguise the strength of my hand. If he then bets again on the turn, thats the time I would jam it in. I think, with this line you are almost begging him to play well, if he has the weaker part of his range.