$2 NLHE 6-max: River shove/check

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seen vilain limping and quite quickly tagged as a fish.The plan was to raise/fold the turn as a pre emtive blocker.With the intention of checking back most turns but the 6 is one of the best cards for me apart from the 8 of course.I still think villain can have over pairs better than 88 and obvioulsly draws wont now call.So is there enough value with 88 here to warrent shoving the river ?.Also would you play the flop and turn any differently if so how ?.

vpip/pfr/3bet
villain 78/15/8 over 27 hands

Cheers.

Hero (UTG): $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BTN: $2.96 (148 bb)
SB: $2.70 (135 bb)
BB: $2.34 (117 bb)

SB posts $0.01, BB posts $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 8 8
Hero raises to $0.06, 3 folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13, 2 players) 6 6 5
BB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.37, 2 players) 2
BB bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.24

River: ($1.17, 2 players) 6
BB checks, Hero ?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove seems like an overplay here since it will be larger than the pot. Only 27 hands but V definitely looks fishy. I prefer a larger turn raise if we are raising and a smaller river value bet. I expect most fish to be able to get away from 5x facing a turn raise and river shove here. What hands can call a shove here that we beat? If we are turning our hand into a bluff to get 99-TT to fold I don't like the play against a fish who may not be able to lay a boat down. I would go for 1/2 pot or less to get value from his smaller boats and spaz and limit losses vs quads and larger boats.

2tuzai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i bet ~40-50% on the river and not a big fan of turn raise

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seen vilain limping and quite quickly tagged as a fish.The plan was to raise/fold the turn as a pre emtive blocker.
Damn, that turnraise :D

Is this meant for protection or as a blockbet?
If this is a blockbet, we stick to our decisision on turn and check back river.

I dont think you have value anymore here, i mean logically you shouldnt. Then again 73 Vpip might think his AQ is good... Got to remember that 88 usually doesnt have 3 streets of value. So i wouldnt play for stacks here. This guy is probably so bad that we can have cleaner spots.

The Donklead is quite often a bluff i think. Cant be for protection and any value would get it in after you raise him. So maybe now that i think about it size smth like 10-20% To get an ace to call, cause he wants to see youre hand.

Also would you play the flop and turn any differently if so how ?

My general line on this board would be bet flop, check turn behind, so they bluff river then call or valuebet ourselfs. Alltough i like the idea of stabing twice and then checking back as this guy is probably passive postflop. When he donks i say we keep him bluffing and call it down. If he has a 6 or duces or whatever hes repping good for him, more often then not its air.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually love that turn raise. What story is the fish telling, when he lead the turn on this card, and for that size? That he has 43 or 22 and wants to get as little value as possible? I think, its more likely to be some kind of weak hand blocker betting. Like 77, 5X, 44, 33 or even just A high. And when he just call your raise, I pretty much rule out anything strong.

As you already said, the river card was fantastic for you. Now its even less likely, he has a 6 in his hand, and if he did have the 43 or the 22, now you just got there. Also if he does have 77, 5X etc, now he just made a worse boat than yours. So I definitely think, you can bet for value here, but I would not go for a overbet. Just around half pot to really rope him in to call with that smaller boat or even a straight or A high, if he refuse to believe you.

I know, he is bad, but I dont think, Zeebo theorem ("nobody can fold a full house ever") apply as much in a situation like this, where there is a very obvious full house board. To me its more about a situation, where the river was an 8, and he have the 22 for instance. THEN you can overbet and get maximum value.