$2 NLHE 6-max: River play with lower boat - optimal line?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hero catches a set of Jacks on the flop. Villain is a fishy reg. No HUD stats available. What's the optimal play on the river?

Hand Information
pokerstars No Limit, 0.02 BB (6 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
Seat: 1 Player 1 ($2.85) Dealer
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($2.34) Small Blind
Seat: 3 Hero ($3.44) Big Blind
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($2.58)
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($3.31)
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($7.66)
Dealt to Hero
JC.png
JH.png

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 4 FOLD
Player 5 FOLD
Player 6 FOLD
Player 1 RAISE $0.06
Player 2 FOLD
Hero CALL $0.04

Flop(Pot: $0.13)
7H.png
5S.png
JS.png

Hero CHECK
Player 1 BET $0.09
Hero CALL $0.09

Turn(Pot: $0.31)
7H.png
5S.png
JS.png
QC.png

Hero CHECK
Player 1 BET $0.22
Hero RAISE $0.44
Player 1 CALL $0.22

River(Pot: $1.19)
7H.png
5S.png
JS.png
QC.png
QH.png

Hero?

Will post outcome later after discussion.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
optimal line would be 3bet preflop

As played I prefer build a pot vs recreational player so I would just check/raise a flop.
As played raising a turn 2x has no sense. Raise bigger, minimum 3x. You have a strong hand, you want a maximum value.
As played all in river.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with the above poster 3bet pre, and as played raise the turn bigger to set up a river shove you have left really awkward stack sizes and have to overbet the river to get stacks in.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree about the turn betting. My thoughts were that villain may have had very weak holdings (hopefully a Qx) and would have folded to a bigger raise on the turn. Also agree on the river line.

Pre-flop I don't know if 4 betting over button would give me value, since button's range is wide here and he may fold out to my 4 bet, since I have a nittier image on most tables by default.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hero catches a set of Jacks on the flop. Villain is a fishy reg. No HUD stats available. What's the optimal play on the river?

Hand Information
PokerStars No Limit, 0.02 BB (6 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
Seat: 1 Player 1 ($2.85) Dealer
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($2.34) Small Blind
Seat: 3 Hero ($3.44) Big Blind
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($2.58)
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($3.31)
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($7.66)
Dealt to Hero
JC.png
JH.png

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 4 FOLD
Player 5 FOLD
Player 6 FOLD
Player 1 RAISE $0.06
Player 2 FOLD
Hero CALL $0.04

Flop(Pot: $0.13)
7H.png
5S.png
JS.png

Hero CHECK
Player 1 BET $0.09
Hero CALL $0.09

Turn(Pot: $0.31)
7H.png
5S.png
JS.png
QC.png

Hero CHECK
Player 1 BET $0.22
Hero RAISE $0.44
Player 1 CALL $0.22

River(Pot: $1.19)
7H.png
5S.png
JS.png
QC.png
QH.png

Hero?

Will post outcome later after discussion.

Okay this explains things a great deal.

Good answer posted above by Misaki. The bet sizing on every street here is not good.

3-betting pre to ~3.5x villain's open (to 0.20, 0.21).
C-betting ~3/5 pot to 2/3 pot
Betting turn ~70% setting ourselves up to leave ourselves with an amount to shove river with (we want to be thinking ahead to size our bets accordingly).

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise preflop to like $0.25 then bet flop for like $0.35. $1 on turn and shove river

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks guys. Judging by the responses, the general consensus is to bet more aggressively with the goal of putting it all in the middle by the river.

Villain did have a Qx which wasn't QJ. I don't remember whether I jammed the river or bet low to induce villain to jam, but it was an all in for me in the end.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the flush draw on the flop, I would probably check/raise the flop and lead turn and river, sizing to get it all in by the river.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop 3bet. Flop bet, turn bet, river bet xD
In this spot on the river you may bet potbet

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider 3-betting pre. You are likely way ahead of his range. He can call a little wider since you can be defending light, and he is in position. Flatting pre is ok on occasion, but might as well get your money's worth at the micros.

On the flop you have a great hand. The problem is that this flop favors you way more than it will the BTN. It's hard for him to have a Jack here, and you are going to have more suited cards than he is from the BB, since you have a better price to call.

It's not too great, but its ok to just call here, in order to let him hit something. But this creates a problem on the turn, where we don't want to donk bet too much, but we are worried about him checking behind. With a Queen and Jack on the board he can fire another barrell with most of his range though- he has some semi bluff gut shots now.

The turn is a good spot to raise. I would raise more than what you did... at least to 75, possibly up to 97 (which is a pot sized raise).

On the river, since you've raised turn, you have initiative now. Bet out. Don't worry that QJ beats you... its a slim chance. You want value from KQ and AQ. Bet out pot or close to pot. You guys (I'm bad at stack sizing, sorry) are a little too deep to gii, which is why you should try to build the pot earlier.

If you raised more on the turn, I think you could just shove here. No reason not to.