$2 NLHE 6-max: Is the river bet too big?

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 99 BB
BB: 124.5 BB
UTG: 191.5 BB
CO: 104 BB
Hero (BTN): 126.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:spade: T:spade:

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 2.5 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond: 8:heart: K:diamond:
UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
UTG bets 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, UTG calls 6 BB

River: (24.5 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
UTG checks, Hero bets 23.5 BB, UTG calls 23.5 BB

RESULTS ARE BELOW

UTG shows Q:club: K:club: (One Pair, Kings)
(Pre 62%, Flop 66%, Turn 82%)
Hero shows 9:spade: T:spade: (Straight, Jack High)
(Pre 38%, Flop 34%, Turn 18%)
Hero wins 68 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, its fine to call on BTN with T9s, but often I would throw this kind of hand into my 3-betting range as well. He is opening "UTG", but since its a 5 player table, he is actually in HJ, which is late middle position. So his range should be pretty wide.

Flop
You flopped an OESD, and when he checks to you, I would definitely put out a bet as a semibluff. If you are not applying pressure to him with a hand like this, that has equity and no showdown value at all, then when are you ever applying pressure? The whole point of calling on BTN is, that you can use your position postflop to steal pots, that dont belong to you.

Turn
Now he bet, and now you raise. This is a very strange line, because you have less equity now, he is showing more strenght, and yet now you turn up your aggression. As played I would clearly just call now and try to hit something on the river. You are only representing 65s and 44, when you raise on this turn, and 65s should have bet the flop. So anyone, who can hand read, is not going to give you credit, when you take this line.

River
You made your straight on the end, and he checked to you. Obviously you need to bet for value now, and since he checked the flop I would put him mostly on some kind of marginal made hand. The river only helped him, if he has JJ or KJ, and KJ should mostly have bet the flop. So I would probably go a bit smaller here trying to get called by hands like 99-TT, QQ, K9-KT. That sort of range. Going a bit smaller also allow you to lose less, when he has a flush and check-raise you on the river.

Results
If he can have a hand like KQ and check it on the flop, and he is willing to pay a big river bet with it, then your sizing becomes a lot better. So what I would mainly look at here is your line and logic on all the previous streets. I really dont like your flop and turn decisions, and preflop at least look to mix in some 3-bets with bluff hands like this.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much agree with fund here.

Preflop, T9s on the button is a great hand to have in your 3 bet bluff range.

When checked to on the flop, I like a bet. If checkraised, you can still call.