$2 NLHE 6-max: Resteal against very aggressive opponent, TPGK, attempting to check raise on the Flop

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: Resteal against very aggressive opponent, TPGK, attempting to check raise on the Flop

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 20/16/6

Opponents stats:
VPIP: 20
PFR: 16
AF: 6
F3B: 63

I have KJs on the SB, I made a 3bet. I did this for two purposes, get value, and the second reason was that the villain's Fold to 3bet is very high, so good possibility that he will give up with the hand. Opp calls.

I got a top kicker on the dry flop. Because opp is very aggressive (AF6) I gave him a possibility to make a bet, and then I will just shove because the villain's stack is small (also his FFCB is kinda high, 63, so I didn't want to make him fold by leading).

What do you think about this hand and did I read hud stats right? I just started to use HUD again so it will take some time for me to master it.

(I tried to convert this hand, but it says it is already converted. Wtf)

iPoker - €0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: 143.5 BB
BTN: 100 BB
Hero (SB): 130 BB
BB: 110 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Jd Kd
fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, BTN calls 6.5 BB

Flop : (19 BB, 2 players) Js 9d 4h
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn : (19 BB, 2 players) 9c
Hero bets 9.5 BB, BTN raises to 28.5 BB, Hero calls 19 BB

River : (76 BB, 2 players) 5c
Hero bets 16 BB, BTN raises to 62.5 BB, fold

BTN wins 101 BB

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know your sample size on villain, but an AF of 6 is an extremely aggressive villain. Against a player like this I think it is good to play our hand decisively. In your analysis you said you were ready to play for stacks on the flop; if that is the case then I would commit to that decision. Because as played we allowed an aggressive player to bully us off our hand. Maybe he did have trips or a full house based on how he was betting, but he could give us the same type of action without a made hand as well (AF of 6).

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know your sample size on villain, but an AF of 6 is an extremely aggressive villain.

Over 600 hands, so stats are reliable.

Maybe he did have trips or a full house based on how he was betting, but he could give us the same type of action without a made hand as well (AF of 6).

Now afterward I think it was a pure bluff, I showed weakness by not leading on the flop. It is little bit confusing that his VPIP is 20%, kinda tight

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I can see either way depending on what type of player is in the BB. You could call here as well with a hand that flops well and let villain use his aggression post flop to stick himself. That method would keep the pot small when you want it small and then you can play a large pot when you hit something and want to play a large pot. I dont mind 3 betting here as you are doing so thinking you will get a lot of folds and I have no problem with that.

On the flop I see it both ways as I think you can check to induce bets or you can lead here. When we check though and villain who is aggressive does not bet behind us I would start be thinking something is wrong here. Why did villain deviate from the play that they normally would make. I would see this check as polarizing as they have air or they have something strong that they think you would fold to as you look a little weak 3 betting and then checking. I would not be too concerned yet but it would be on my mind.

Another 9 or the turn is interesting as 99 is very unlikely now and the board is now fully rainbow. I would think 9x would be betting the flop if villain is aggressive. The only real set is 44 since villain would need the remaining JJ or 99 for set or quads. If you played the flop to ensnare the villain I would do the same here on the turn and check. I cant see villain checking behind after being checked to if they really are aggressive. Then we can just call behind and probably plan to do the same on the river. As played on the turn I would go to a slightly smaller sizing. This could keep in more A high hands and also any raise they make will be a smaller amount since our bet is smaller (I made this mistake in a game I played last night where I bet too much on the turn, got raised and decided to fold). In game I am not sure what I am doing there but it could be anything at this point. Made hands are a little harder to come by on this board so I lean towards calling since they are aggressive and will make plays like this. The 9 shouldnt change anything for our hand and yet we now decide to bet so maybe villain sees this as weakness.

On the river I am not leading out there. I am looking to bluff catch which is the whole reason we called the turn bet. I would check and then evaluate depending on sizing and timing but would lean towards calling with a 5 being the river card. No draws got there and we have top pair on a paired board. Hands can beat us for sure but enough air here to call if we had checked. Based on stacks villain is going all in no matter what here but I still prefer checking instead of leading. I think now you have to make this call but I can admit I have a hard time ranging this hand. Im making the call going off the board paired, other cards are low, we have top pair 2nd kicker, no draws got there, and our villain stats wise is known to be aggressive. Not loving the call but I think we need to make it. Could be way off on this on as not as confident about it as some of my other posts.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for long reply.

There is so much text and I want completely to understand this hand, so I have to go step-by-step.

Little bit about the background. I just started to study the pokerstars School cash game course (very great course btw). This morning I went through the "calling opens" section.

https://www.pokerstarsschool.com/lessons/calling-opens/

It told that we should never call from the SB (at 15:20). There are two exceptions - when there is a bad player on the BB or great implied odds. That made me confused because I really don't feel comfortable to 3bet with marginal hands from SB, and imo as well KJs will be better to just call against an aggressive opponent. This concept is totally new to me that we should only fold or raise.

You could call here as well with a hand that flops well and let villain use his aggression post flop to stick himself.

Should we call in this situation because there are bigger implied odds against an aggressive opponent or what is the logic?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I am not a poker coach but I disagree with the idea that you should never call from the SB. That leaves folding or 3 betting and I think doing that will leave you folding too much, 3 betting too light or a combo of the two. There needs to be a calling range and that range will depend on the opener and the BB opponent. In this hand I like calling because the hand flops well and we have an opponent that we believe we will get value from post flop when we hit. I dont mind 3 betting if you think villain will fold. Their stats say they do fold to 3 bets but they are also playing 20/16 so they are not maniacs pre flop. I would say in this scenario since it is a button open that you can call or 3 bet since button opens will be lighter. If this was an open from EP I would say call for implied odds or fold but not to 3 bet. So it will depend on how light you think the open is, how much will that opener fold to a 3 bet, and what type of player is BB. If this is a player that played more of 40/30 style then you can 3 bet more for value as you have a greater chance of being ahead of their range.

In this hand specifically though I would only be 3 betting to get a fold based on villains stats. I am not doing it because I think I massively ahead of villain. When villains are aggro and we know it then I usually play a check call game and that would also carry over into pre flop as well. I hope this helped because the real answer is it will depend on opening villain and their stats and position and also BB style. Just a note too I am weary of any training that says never do this or always do this. There are too many variables in this game to always be doing something or never be doing something.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet the flop, fold to the turn raise. If he didn't bet the flop, then he has some piece or big draw, and it's better to let it go at this point OOP vs and opponent who will bet most rivers.

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this hand HORRIBLY my friend

1. on the pre-flop we are NOT raising pre KJ as value instead it is a semi bluff and for us to have an stronger range post flop.

2. Why are we checking on the flop after we hit top pair? We are missing so much value from low pocket pairs, draws and high cards. YOU SHOULD BET THAT FLOP EVEYTIME.

3. Now, on the turn comes a 9 which paired the board , and now we are betting?
this move will make us easy to get bluffed raised or value raised because we ALMOST never has 9 there, our opponent can easily have 9.

4.On the river, its correct to fold there, All IN RIVER MOVES are RARELY a BLUFF on the microstakes.

5. Tough SPOT on the river is occasionally a product of bad plays preflop or on the flop, which where I also trying to improve on.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this hand HORRIBLY my friend

1. on the pre-flop we are NOT raising pre KJ as value instead it is a semi bluff and for us to have an stronger range post flop.

2. Why are we checking on the flop after we hit top pair? We are missing so much value from low pocket pairs, draws and high cards. YOU SHOULD BET THAT FLOP EVEYTIME.

3. Now, on the turn comes a 9 which paired the board , and now we are betting?
this move will make us easy to get bluffed raised or value raised because we ALMOST never has 9 there, our opponent can easily have 9.

4.On the river, its correct to fold there, All IN RIVER MOVES are RARELY a BLUFF on the microstakes.

5. Tough SPOT on the river is occasionally a product of bad plays preflop or on the flop, which where I also trying to improve on.

Good questions.

1. I can agree with this. Actually now I will just call oop against an aggressive opponent. KJs will flop well.

2. First of all, this guy has kinda high F3B, 63. So I want to gain information on his hand strength. Dry board and his fold to Flop cBet on the 3bet pots was 60. I wanted to give him the possibility to make a bet because of this aggressiveness.

3. By checking on the flop he gave me a sign of weakness and this was purely a value bet. Now I can say maybe it should be just a call.

4. Agree
¨
5. "Tough SPOT on the river is occasionally a product of bad plays preflop" 👈 Great poker quote material!!!

Thank you for commenting and keeping it short and clear (and honest, I am here for making money, not to get my ass kissed).

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There needs to be a calling range and that range will depend on the opener and the BB opponent.

What kind of calling range could you recommend?

Their stats say they do fold to 3 bets but they are also playing 20/16 so they are not maniacs pre flop.

Yeah, I didn't realize during the play, multiple tables open and I'm not used playing with hud, I just stared AF.

When villains are aggro and we know it then I usually play a check call game and that would also carry over into pre flop as well. I hope this helped

Agree. And yeah, helped a lot. Thank you for long and informative answers. Will take some time to internalize all of this information, but I will definitely study all of this. 👍