$2 NLHE 6-max: Overvaluing top pair?

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It hard to estimate villain hand $2 NLHE. limpers often call any raise (except all in).

I don't think you should call on river. and may be bet second barrel

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop-I would have raised a little more, 4x or 4.5x I like to add 1-1.5 for each limper ahead of my raise. I use 3x Raises when I am the first one to enter a pot.

Flop-I like your bet size and would have done the same thing.

Turn-I actually prefer a check back here. The J just made you lose your kicker so any Kx worse hand is chopping with you. There is not much value your getting when you bet except maybe from stubborn pocket pairs but more then likely you are chop/losing here.

River-As played at best you are chopping here, depending on the player I may call or fold this. It's not a bad price honestly so it would be player dependent. I think when you check the turn it just makes the hand simpler for you and you can call his river bet. If he checks I would check back as you still chop with any worse Kx hand he has and most else will be beating you. Your only beating stubborn Pocket Pairs and Ace High Flop Floats.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sucks that he actually had a 4 there, but I think you played the hand fine.

Players who limp/call 42 in early position will often do strange things that make no sense. This time he had it, but many times when he uses this line, he won't have it.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It hard to estimate villain hand $2 NLHE. limpers often call any raise (except all in).

I don't think you should call on river. and may be bet second barrel

I agree - I think limpers tend to be pretty polarized at microstakes and you'll know on the flop more times than not if they have a hand.

Think I overvalue top pair here, should have folded to turn re-raise?

Yes, I definitely feel like you overvalued TP here. Your kicker isn't great, because villain's going to have AK/KQ/KJ in their range, though the way they played the hand, I'm putting a lot of 4x in their range, ESPECIALLY if (if you have a HUD) their VPIP is really high, then 4x is VERY much in their range.

I would check the turn for pot control here and if they bomb the river, they've polarized their range. They either have 4x or bluffing.

Preflop-I would have raised a little more, 4x or 4.5x I like to add 1-1.5 for each limper ahead of my raise. I use 3x Raises when I am the first one to enter a pot.

Flop-I like your bet size and would have done the same thing.

Turn-I actually prefer a check back here. The J just made you lose your kicker so any Kx worse hand is chopping with you. There is not much value your getting when you bet except maybe from stubborn pocket pairs but more then likely you are chop/losing here.

I think you said it very well here, especially the turn. I agree on the pre-flop sizing, to make it larger, though at 2NL, you're still less likely to get folds from limpers.

It sucks that he actually had a 4 there, but I think you played the hand fine.

Players who limp/call 42 in early position will often do strange things that make no sense. This time he had it, but many times when he uses this line, he won't have it.

To some degree, you're correct, in that their range is polarized here, but as for playing the hand fine, I don't agree. The turn should have been a check, to see what they're going to do on the river. The river bet screams "I WANT YOU TO CALL".

I think OP lost close to max value here, though villain's river bet could have been higher and still get OP to call, because OP seemed to be pretty sticky with TP here.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Your overall idea for the hand is fine, but bet-sizing is consistently too small.

P: 4x due to limper in front.
F: 33% of pot is just too small, just bet your good made hands aggressively at micros until you get strong opposition, I would go 50% of pot.
T: again 36% too small, size up to 75-100%, I would go 100% to target mid-low PP, Kx Jx, BDFD & weird BWSD. As played, bet/call is fine.

R: as played, call or fold are fine, I would call and take a note.