$2 NLHE 6-max: Is ok to control the pot or i have 2 streets off value?

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering a 4bet rangue from UTG to MP off QQ+,AKo,AKs,and maibe some A2-A5s.
So his X flops tells or either he wants to trap me with a X/shove or he dont wanth a big pot because he isnt confortable.Turn card puts me ahead off some hand,but im still beaten by a lot(AA,QQ) so can i value bet here or is wise to control the pot by X behind?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524sZoCZ4

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think you have two streets of value here. I like betting the turn after V checks twice especially since we don't have a heart. In a 4 bet pot V would likely want to get some value on either flop or turn. Since the Ace and Q of heart are on board V can't have any flushes. We are behind only 4 combos of AA and QQ and we have position. V could call or even raise our turn bet with second pair and the nut flush draw however. I just don't think a set checks twice often enough with this run out for us not to bet turn.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do t like flatting the 4B preflop. AK ist gonna be tricky postflop. If you hit a K, you still might be behind and also if flop is only bricks you will face a CB most of the time that you would have to fold too.

As played, I would bet 30% on the turn. Ok the River I dont see many worse hands calling twice.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Considering a 4bet rangue from UTG to MP off QQ+,AKo,AKs,and maibe some A2-A5s.
So his X flops tells or either he wants to trap me with a X/shove or he dont wanth a big pot because he isnt confortable.Turn card puts me ahead off some hand,but im still beaten by a lot(AA,QQ) so can i value bet here or is wise to control the pot by X behind?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524sZoCZ4

Hi there freddydr87, thanks again!
In this particular case I like calling the top of my range here (40-50% of times) because there is a recreational player in the BB that could enter the pot, and this is good for us. Our calling/3betting range of MP x UTG looks like:

TT+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, AQo+ (8.60%)

Because we are in position against two players postflop (UTG and BB), and because UTG has a very strong range most of times that should only call and 4bet us with the best part as well:

KK+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, AKo (4.22%) UTG's calling/4betting range.

Only the weaker players would be calling down here some small pocket pair or weak broadways from UTG. The 3bet is good, but I guess the call in this situation would be even best.
A 3bet MP x UTG SCREAMS loud that we are very strong and in the top of our range, so UTG can play better having this information. We don't want our opponents playing close to perfect, we want them to be guessing and wondering and thus making more mistakes postflop. However, the 3bet is good and many would say that it is "standard".
On the other hand, when we call a UTG raisor from MP we have a lot of medium pocket pairs and speculative broadways, so UTG will think that we are weaker and put more chips in the middle.
Besides, Hero MP is deep stacked and UTG has only 100 BB effective stack.
If we bring the recreational in the BB to the hand, by calling UTG's raise in the MP, we have more chances of taking down a bigger pot, because a weak player in the BB could easily be bluffing flush draws, straight draws in the flop, could bluff any Queen, any worse Ace than ours, things that the player in the UTG will not do postflop.

The postflop control 4bet pot

It seems a fine line to me. Make the pot grow too much in a situation where we have two overcards in the flop x UTG's range it is not a good ideia. If the player is weak, and you have notes on it, you can make a bet, since UTG checked after 4bet.
The Turn comes an Ace but also completes a flush which UTG never has, because no flushes draws are checking flop, and when it completes the flush in the Turn also checks.
I think our pot control til river here is good. I don't like making fancy moves at 2 NLHE against players I don't know, specially in a heavy connected board like this one (double paired and with a flush).
We don't need to fight for a 100 BB pot everytime we have AKs, AA, KK and QQ! We make more profit stealing and winning small pots (low variance) than trying to make the pot grow too much because we have "Pocket Rockets" (AA), or else (high variance).

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa