Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb) VPIP/PFR/AGG 43/14/0.9
MP: $2.83 (142 bb)
CO: $0.61 (31 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.14 (107 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $2.81 (141 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with 8 A
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 1 fold, BB calls $0.08, UTG calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.33) 2 9 J (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.33) 6 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14, BB calls $0.14

River: ($0.75) 6 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.25, BB folds, UTG raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.90 (all-in), UTG calls $1.26 (all-in)

River my initial sizing was targeting Jx and also weaker flushes which may check-raise to get values from 6x. So I opted for re-raise all in to get max values from K or Q high flushes as NL2 unlikely to let go strong hands.

What do you think about this line? Would you just call the min-raise or choose different sizing throughout this hand?

C

Chi Dios

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb) VPIP/PFR/AGG 43/14/0.9
MP: $2.83 (142 bb)
CO: $0.61 (31 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.14 (107 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $2.81 (141 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with 8 A
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 1 fold, BB calls $0.08, UTG calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.33) 2 9 J (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.33) 6 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14, BB calls $0.14

River: ($0.75) 6 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.25, BB folds, UTG raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.90 (all-in), UTG calls $1.26 (all-in)

River my initial sizing was targeting Jx and also weaker flushes which may check-raise to get values from 6x. So I opted for re-raise all in to get max values from K or Q high flushes as NL2 unlikely to let go strong hands.

What do you think about this line? Would you just call the min-raise or choose different sizing throughout this hand?

I prefer bet flop , maybe in the turn make flush . If i cant connect the flush check the turn.
3 bet all in is ok, in nl2 a lot of fish dont releease a small flush or two pair. :cool:
Sorry for my bad english:D

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would bet about 60% on the flop, check the turn, and probably end up all in on the river. Yes the board is paired, but at $2NL, there are many worse hands than yours that will pay you off.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like your line. Nothing wrong with having some check backs on this flop with this much equity in a 3 way pot. Your opponents have way more Jx and 9x than you do as a PFR and it would be tragic to get x/r then blasted off our equity on the flop or the turn. There aren't that many boats+ that should show up in a raised pot with this run out. It's borderline criminal for UTG to check his boat+ on the river with only one player behind that hasn't bet or raised flop or turn. Bad play is rewarded sometimes though, sucks if your hand wasn't good. Well played in my opinion.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually think you played it well. You tried to get max value for a very strong holding. Only hands that beat you are boats. You have to try to get the value when you can.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop
I prefer to put out a standard C-bet. We have lots of equity against most one pair hands, and they are also going to call us with worse draws or random floats. So its actually a bet for value, plus we build the pot, we deny equity, and we keep the initiative.

Turn
As played no other option here than to call.

River
I like betting larger. You are playing against at least one fish (no information about BB), and you dont need to give him such a great price to get action. In fact he might even see a large bet as a bluff and be almost more likely to give you action. So while something like 50c would be my default, you could even overbet here. Make it a dollar to make it look like a wild bluff.

However you made it 25c, and now the hand gets really wacky, because the fish click it back. I guess, he is not bluffing, and I also dont think, he bet a 6 on the turn or check-raise a J on the river. So he probably has either a flush or a boat, and then its just a question of counting combos. He is never folding a flush, so if he have more flushes than boats, then just get it in and rock and roll.

I guess, it depends, just exactly how bad he is. J6, 96 and 62 should have folded preflop, and JJ, 99 should have raised. The only somewhat reasonable limping hand, that made a boat, is 22. So even disregarding, that we should never limp, someone with a reasonable limping strategy should have more suited connectors, that made a flush, than hands that made a boat.

Overall I think, its probably close enough, that it does not really matter. And more importantly, if you play different earlier on, this spot does not even happen. So its not really worth analysing and spending time and brain power on.

Lets assume, you bet 20c on the flop, they both call. Turn is this brick, and you check back, because you dont think, you can get both of them to fold. On the river you get there, pot is 93c, you have 1,84$ behind. You bet 60c, BB fold, and now UTG goes all in for another 1,1$. Then you just call with the nut flush, and it is, what it is.

Last edited:
Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was perfectly played :) i like the check on the flop with this hand. I would bet a lottle bigger on river I think a J would call like 0.40

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's borderline criminal for UTG to check his boat+ on the river with only one player behind that hasn't bet or raised flop or turn.

Or even a flush for that matter. And if he is going to check-raise, just clicking it back is not exactly a great play either. He should make it like a dollar or something.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Or even a flush for that matter. And if he is going to check-raise, just clicking it back is not exactly a great play either. He should make it like a dollar or something.
True, can be frustrating when super fishy lines still get there somehow. Just have to be happy you have these guys at the table to give it all back rather than going on tilt.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check/bet this flop with A high flush draw at mixed frequency.

UTG had 22 in this hand, I may get away cheaper if UTG check raised and fire bet on the turn if I c-bet on the flop and called raise.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop you need contbet... You wanna get the big pot when your flush will be closed

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True, can be frustrating when super fishy lines still get there somehow. Just have to be happy you have these guys at the table to give it all back rather than going on tilt.

So true. If he limp-called with J6 and hit this perfect runout, then good for him. In the long run he can not defy math, so we just reload and move on to the next hand.

Full Flush Poker