$2 NLHE 6-max: Mistakes were made

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Total posts
I think the player pool tendancies are that these small donks indicate weakness, on the turn though I think I made a big blunder. I was trying to push him off a weak hand on the turn but in hindsight I don't think I needed to bluff him off anything since we turned showdown value and have a fair amount of equity with the FD and overcard. What do you think of these donk bets in general? do they typically indicate weakness like marginal made hands in your games? thoughts on the hand?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.93 (97 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $3.51 (176 bb)
BU (Hero): $4.20 (210 bb)
SB: $1.98 (99 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A 9
UTG calls $0.02, 2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.19) 4 Q J (2 players)
UTG bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, UTG calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.35) 9 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.14, UTG raises to $1.77 (all-in), BU (Hero) ...?

Total pot: $0.63 (Rake: $0.02)
UTG wins $0.61

E

eetenor

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I think the player pool tendancies are that these small donks indicate weakness, on the turn though I think I made a big blunder. I was trying to push him off a weak hand on the turn but in hindsight I don't think I needed to bluff him off anything since we turned showdown value and have a fair amount of equity with the FD and overcard. What do you think of these donk bets in general? do they typically indicate weakness like marginal made hands in your games? thoughts on the hand?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.93 (97 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $3.51 (176 bb)
BU (Hero): $4.20 (210 bb)
SB: $1.98 (99 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A 9
UTG calls $0.02, 2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.19) 4 Q J (2 players)
UTG bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, UTG calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.35) 9 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.14, UTG raises to $1.77 (all-in), BU (Hero) ...?

Total pot: $0.63 (Rake: $0.02)
UTG wins $0.61

Thank you for posting

When thinking about these situations we seldom want to think one option only instead we want to think frequencies.

90% of the time it is weak when they lead 10% nuts on average.

In this spot the flop nuts is QQ what frequency would your V lead that or even have that as played preflop? So the flop lead is most likely weak.

On this turn card the weak flop leads become strong hands and nuts so your standard player pool will lead turn with nut hands here more frequently than 10% because they led flop.

We can beat the nuts with our draw so we want to draw by calling turn and steal pot on the river if we can. We can have AA and call turn lead because it was the 9.

We then use the how often do our V bluff rivers frequency and bet sizing tells and timing tells to decide our action on the river. We can be trying to steal river if our V shows weakness but we need to know the correct sizing to get folds often it will be pot+ to get them to fold a J T hand if they missed at this stake level.

It is good to know fold frequencies in your player pool- a standard player pool at $2 folds any pair only 20% of the time so it may be the highest ROI to call turn and fold river to any bet.

Hope this helps
:):)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Total posts
Awards
When I pick up some solid show down value on the turn, I will be happy to call his tiny bet and see a river.

I think as played, your turn fold is good. It's just a shame to have to forego all the equity that you had in the pot by opening up the betting again.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Total posts
P: fine.

F: easy call vs min-donkbet. Treat min-bets like checks and see next street.

Flop is so coordinated and our specific holding has so much potential, if villain had checked, we're almost always checking back.

T: as played, easy call vs micro-donkbet. As played, easy fold vs bet/jam. Classic fishy play with nuts of bet small-bet small-bet very big.

In general donkbets mean strength. Very small donkbets mean either strength or weakness: without reads assume strength. Especially true on drawy boards.