$2 NLHE 6-max: Missed bluff opportunities against a reg?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In both of these hands I am defending my BB against the same TAG reg who is frequently on the same tables as me. We both play aggressive against each other. I am wondering if my check-raise sizing is too small? Was the first hand a good candidate to triple barrel bluff? And in the second hand could I have shoved on the flop?

Villain Stats: 23/19 AF: 3 (6,000 hands)
Hand 1

Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $5.16 (258 bb)
MP: $3.06 (153 bb)
CO: $3.79 (190 bb)
BU: $9.00 (450 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.39 (120 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 5 8
3 players fold, BTN raises to $0.05, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.11) 7 3 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.13, BTN calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.37) J (2 players)
Hero bets $0.27, BTN calls $0.27

River: ($0.91) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Showdown:
BU shows K 7 (a pair of Sevens)

Hand 2
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $19.27 (964 bb)
CO: $3.79 (190 bb)
BU: $2.08 (104 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.14 (107 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A 3
2 players fold, BTN raises to $0.05, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.11) 4 J 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.14, BTN raises to $0.53, Hero calls $0.39

Turn: ($1.17) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $1.50 (all-in), BB (Hero) folds

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first hand, I think that is a perfect candidate to 3 barrel. That board favours your calling range from the BB, and a well sized 3rd barrel *should* be able to move him off the kind of hand he had. Barring some weird dynamic/history between the two of you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I think, your check-raise sizing is a bit of the small size with only around half pot. I prefer to go to 60-65% pot not so much for more fold equity right now, but more to build up a pot when I have value, or apply more pressure later on, when I am bluffing.

Hand 1
This is definitely a situation, where I would have fired the third barrel against a regular. You had no showdown value, so even if he folded a better busted flushdraw like AT or KJ of clubs, thats a great result for you. You also had some decent removal blocking hands like 65 and T8 of clubs, that made a straight.

Hand 2
This was a spot, where the more GTO line might actually be to check-call the flop. Ace high has some showdown value against a wide BTN range, and if you check-raise all your draws, you become kind of predictable and easy to play against. Which I would say is normally not a big deal in the micros, but when you have played 6.000 hands against this opponent, you might want to mix it up and be better balanced against him specifically.

You did check-raise though, and now you faced a 3-bet of full pot, which is a pretty gross spot to be honest. To me this looks super strong, so I dont think, you have any fold equity, and for that reason I would not 4-bet jam. I think, you are just getting it in against hands like sets or two pair, or maybe occationally a big combo-draw like T9 of spades, which also has good equity against you.

When he bet this large, its also very likely, that you will be facing a turn jam or at least a very large bet, which you cant call unimproved. So when calculating your pot odds here, you probably need to view this as a 1-card draw, even though you are on the flop. You are only getting 2:1, and you have 20% chance to turn a flush, which mean you need to win another 80c from future betting to just break even.

He does have 1,5$ left, so calling here for implied odds is not totally crazy. You are however out of position, and a runout, that makes your flush but also pair the board, could easily get you stacked. So I actually think, there is a case to be made for folding right here on the flop, even though it obviously suck, when you have the nut flushdraw.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 I think you need to x/r more on flop but if he is sticky I don't see a problem with checking river. Three barrel may not work with that run out as nothing really hits unless he thinks you flopped set or straight.

Hand 2 seems fine. Sometimes you semi-bluff your draws and get raised off your equity.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st hand: I would raise a little bigger on the flop and barrel on turn and river since no draws got there. Shutting down on the river is fine but if you had a set or called preflop with 74s, you would bet the river.

2nd hand: I would just call the flop and play more passively because of the board structure. As played I would probably end up shoving vs calling but not sure what the correct play is. Just my opinion

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting hands thanks for posting!

Not much to add that hasn't been said already. 85s obviously has no showdown value and with this board runout, your range contains most nutty value hands while BU is capped at missed draws and pairs. 85s is one of the best combo's to balance your range.

For the second hand A3s might be a 3-bet bluff in this situation. Solvers generally include suited wheel aces as bluffs with A5s included in almost any 3-bet range, A4s sometimes, and A3s rarely. BU vs BB might be a situation where you can 3-bet A3s versus a player that over-steals from BU and over-folds versus a 3-bet. As played, I agree with fundivers line.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand was a good candidate for a Bluff on the river. No showdown value and the board did favour BB range. Bluffing frequency goes up in BB vs Button situation as both of them are playing wide ranges.