$2 NLHE 6-max: Mediocre Hand in Micros (Analysis + General Strategy)

• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think I played this well... feeling very comfortable now at the lower limits!

Do we ever bet river for value at this level?

After this hand, I wanted to play every hand with this guy... if he is loose and passive, how often should we play hands with him in position? What should we be flat calling with?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 109 BB
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 8.33, PFR: 2.78, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 36)
BB: 101.5 BB (VPIP: 21.43, PFR: 21.43, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 11)
MP: 97.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
CO: 353 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 35.71, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q 9

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) A 9 6
CO checks, Hero bets 3.5 BB, CO calls 3.5 BB

Turn: (14.5 BB, 2 players) 8
CO checks, Hero bets 6 BB, CO calls 6 BB

River: (26.5 BB, 2 players) 4
CO checks, Hero checks

Hero shows Q 9 (One Pair, Nines)
(Pre 56%, Flop 70%, Turn 70%)
CO shows J T (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 44%, Flop 30%, Turn 30%)
Hero wins 25.5 BB

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right on the start i will say well played! So, you already played well, there's no reason to bet on the river here. Some players tend to think that you must have missed your flush draw here and how much you'd bet here doesn't really make a difference on what would they do next.
I don't know if other players would disagree, but i'd like to see as many flops as i can against this guy, not with trash obviously but almost any suited connector, pair, pictures would do, up to 3BBs. Now that's initial strategy, it could change over the hands played because we don't really know this guy, not based on one single hand.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It went well this time, but normally I only bet or call one street with this marginal middle pair post flop.

Unless he is a terrible calling station he never calls the river with worse. And this type of players often calls with all Ax pre-flop so you risk value-betting yourself.

Wait for top-pair or better before betting more than one street for value most of the time.

In this case I would probably only bet the flop OR the turn. He can have better hands almost by accident.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against players like that, you can definitely get value by betting the river.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bigger on turn like 9bbs. Also he didn't played that bad, i am surprised he didn't bet or raise the flop which would be good for him.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think, this is a well played hand, and no I am certainly not trying to get 3 streets of value with second pair second kicker. There is a big difference between turn and river, and that is the draws. Draws call on the turn, but busted draws fold on the river. And already on the turn you are mostly getting value from draws.

Sure he can have a worse made hand now and then, but overall you are probably behind more often than ahead, when he call you with a made hand, so this line is targeting his draws. You could go a little bit bigger on the turn. This is a bet for value, and I dont think, he is folding his draws, just because you charge him a bit more.

As for how to play against him in general, you have no real information after 14 hands, so you should just stick to default lines and treat him like an unknown. The only thing worth noticing here is the small gap between VPIP and PFR, which mean, he is probably a reasonably good player. Could be a LAG, but more likely a TAG running card hot over a very small sample.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that he check-called the flop I found strange. I immediately took Ax out of his range, although it is possible to play it that way.

I have played around at the micros a bit since then- I don't think we ever bet river unless we have a read/some data on the guy. We should probably bet some turns, again its player dependent.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands