MP: $2.26 (113 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)
SB (Hero): $3.20 (160 bb)
BB: $1.79 (90 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.05) Hero is SB with 9 7
2 players fold, CO checks, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks

Flop: ($0.06) 2 4 4 (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.16, BB folds, CO calls $0.11

Turn: ($0.38) J (2 players)
Hero bets $0.24, CO calls $0.24

River: ($0.86) J (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.55, SB (Hero) folds

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ill skip pre flop as unless you think BB is a player that raises a lot and it aggressive, or can smell weakness then calling with this hand is fine as it has value multi way and can flop well.

The hand after pre flop though is puzzling to me. You raise on the flop as a semi bluff but its not large enough to get folds from anything that is not air. So in reality you are saying villain does not have a 2, 4, larger pocket pair that they might just call with pre flop. Thats fine but if thats your thinking on the flop then stick with it. On the turn you bet to continue your story of a hand (which is a hard story to tell because you only called pre flop) but you have a possibly disguised flush so betting is correct and villain calls. Then the board double pairs on the river and all the sudden you go against what you thought on the flop and think villain must have the boat. To me you need to either stick with your initial read that villain does not have a 4 and is unlikely to have a Jack or just call the flop cheaply and see if you get your flush and go from there. You seemed to try to play this hand from both sides and got stuck in the middle. I personally dont villain having too many 4x hands that they open limp with outside of maybe 44, A4, 34, and 45 and the latter two are still loose plays. Therefore, unless villain caught the running Jacks (which is unlikely) you are good here.

Im thinking you either call the river or better yet just call on the flop, see what the turn brings and then try to extract the most value from there if the flush comes in or just fold/call/check depending on villains turn action if your flush doesnt come in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I would also complete here.

Flop
I would lead to get them to fold hands, that missed completely, of which there are a lot, since its a low paired board. You go for a check-raise instead, and I am not totally onboard with that idea. When you get one of them to bet, the likelyhood, they have something, goes way up. So its like saying: "lets see, if you have a hand, and if you do, then I will try to bluff you". This is totally backwards thinking, since we want to attack weakness not strength.

This is not a raised pot, so nobody has the lead, and you are actually the player with the strongest range, since you are the only one, who VPIPed. So you are totally allowed to have a leading range here. You dont need to "check to the limpers" to stay balanced or protect your range or anything like that. You are also not drawing to the nuts, so this is not a situation, where its benefitial to build a very large pot. So as played I probably hate, that he bet so much, and reluctantly call.

Turn
You binked your flush. Standard bet for value.

River
Bad river card obviously, since it dubble pair the board, and I am ok with check-folding. Your hand is a bluff catcher now, and generally hero calling the river against fishy opponents is not the way to beat 2NL. And its not like, you always lose, when you check. Sometimes he check back a pocket pair or a 2, and you win at showdown.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river check-fold, even with made flush, is ok here considering the board. The population mostly is very reluctant to bet that big on this board without a very strong holding, especially into a player who check-raised the flop and bet big the turn. It reeks of full boat. Since CO checks preflop, his range is very wide, and him having a 4 is highly conceivable.

Of course, if the hero has history with the CO and knows that the CO is capable of being agg after checked to on a paired river with a double-paired board, then it's a call. With 39% pot odds, it's a +EV against these types of villain.

Nevertheless, a small-ish river bet (and fold if raised) is better, imho.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: fine, no need to raise.

F: easy check/call, no need to "bluff the bluffer", especially multi-way.

T: fine.

R: bad river, maybe check/call vs small sizing, but best to check/fold vs big sizing: rarely a bluff by CO.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to rep a good c/ring range on that flop. It's better to lead or x/c. The rest of the hand is fine imo.

Full Flush Poker