$2 NLHE 6-max: Leak to call with this hand pre?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.89 (95 bb)
MP: $2.53 (127 bb)
CO (Hero): $1.83 (92 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $4.07 (204 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 8 6
UTG raises to $0.05, MP calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, 2 players fold, BB calls $0.03

UTG: 29/17 (64 hands)
MP: 58/32 (19 hands)

What should the bottom of my calling range be here and should it include 86s? There are some implied odds with UTGs strong range and a rec player in the hand but I am thinking with implied odds alone only a medium strength pocket pair would be good enough to call. If a suited one gapper is bad here would you call with suited connectors?

Any tips on how to figure out the profitability of spots like this?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What action I take in this hand would depend solely on what I know about the villains still to act in the hand. If they are aggressive and have a decent chance of 3 betting then I would just fold the 86 suited type hands. If they are passive and dont 3 bet often at all then I think this is fine to call in a situation where you are getting good odds and can hit a big hand for cheap.

Just my opinion on the flop which may be way off but on a two suited board where it checks to us I would not think the initial raiser or the first caller have an ace. I know c bets into multiple players is and should be less likely but I still think Ax would bet here. To me it is really now only the BB that could have an ace so I like throwing out a bet here to see if we can get this down to heads up at worst and take it down at best. Bet would not have to be too large but somewhere around half pot. I think only Ax and two spades hands will continue and again I think only BB has a potential ace. Betting here will probably get any callers to the flop bet to check the turn to you and then you can re evaluate from there based on the turn card. In this case with this turn, if anyone called our flop bet I would be just checking turn trying to get to a showdown knowing then I am most likely behind.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the call pre-flop with such a low suited one gapper. Even with relatively loose Villains Hero is only ~20% to win. I would fold in most cases, but I'd rather raise than call. Hero knows where he is as soon as he sees the flop after a raise. With the call, in a multi-way pot Hero has no idea what the 3 Villains might have.

6-handed in the cut off I'd want either higher cards J9s? or no gap 87s.

One needs to remember the cost of betting goes up as one sees more cards. It is better to bet a little more on the front end to have more information on the back end.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, I do not recommend calling with weak speculative hands when the opening came from a strong range position. And in general this type of passive lines is not suitable, unless it is a very light game, in which case we could get an advantage in the postflop. If this was the case, here we could bet on the flop to quickly find fold equity from all active positions. We don't have SDV and we could represent a hand like A8s that we are blocking. This should be the idea when we decide to call with a marginal hand.
As played the fold on the turn seems correct to me. I don't think it's wise to include too many hands in the range of preflop calls, when the opening comes from strong range positions like UTG.
It's just better to find other places to call when you want to get into a fun boat. If you want to widen your calling range, you could do it when you are blind vs. blind.
Greetings.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands