$2 NLHE 6-max: Laydown QQ preflop

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will not lay down QQ preflop at a 6 max table without very specific reads on the villain.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this spot is marginal. I don't mind this laydown given the initial raise was from UTG, there was no dead money to squeeze, and the BTN used a smallish 3B size. If BTN would have went larger I like a flat pre but given the 3B size I do prefer the cold 4B. When our cold 4B gets raised I think we are mostly facing a range that looks like QQ+, AK. In this case we have 40% equity for stacks. It doesn't make sense to call the $1.35 and fold at any point after since V is $2.13 effective, so we are essentially risking $1.70 to win $4.32 (before rake). This is about 39% before rake, so it's kind of break even shove. Once we figure in the often brutal 2NL rake caps (15BB+) and take out 5% of the pot we are looking at our jam going up to north of 41% and exceeding our equity and making the decision to put stacks in a negative expected value decision (-EV). There will be plenty players that are wider than this where we have to stack off here. But at 2NL it's also quite possible that we are facing an even slightly tighter range. The jam becomes more -EV for every combo we remove from the bottom of this range. I don't see a problem of making a note and passing up on this marginal spot the first time it happens. It will certainly decrease variance. If we have better reads the decision can begin to lean in either direction for me.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this particular scenario, I shove for the following reasons:
1) The villain has made a small 5-bet, taking into account the sequence preflop, which makes me suppose that this player does not play in a balanced way, so if I want to level myself I must strive to detach myself from said concept against this V.
2) Hero's 4-bet also denotes small size, considering the sequence preflop. This reinforces the idea from point 1). At the moment we are on the same page with BTN (we are leveled).
3) Actually it is a stage prior to the previous points and we refer here to the information we have regarding this V. Apparently we have not obtained enough readings. And what we really have left is one thought, regarding the probability that this villain has to "traps" using small sizes, to hide very strong hands preflop.
If we really don't have enough information to make affirmations like: this V managed to fool us with AA / KK. We are closer to continuing.
I agree with the previous post. It makes no sense to call when our SPR before acting is less than 3. It is really preferable to fold before calling and when our opponent has no fold equity.
Greetings.