Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $6.46 (323 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $4.73 (237 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.33 (117 bb)
SB: $2.20 (110 bb)
BB: $2.56 (128 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with T J
UTG raises to $0.10, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.26, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.55) A K 2 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG calls $0.24

Turn: ($1.15) A (2 players)
UTG bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

River: ($1.31) 7 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Total pot: $1.51 (Rake: $0.05)

Showdown:
UTG shows 4 5 (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 38%, Flop: 37%, Turn: 26%, River: 0%)

BU (Hero) shows T J (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 62%, Flop: 63%, Turn: 74%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) wins $1.46

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK...so you happened to be against a window licking drooler.

Against most even reasonable players, I prefer a flat call preflop with your JTs. It plays well, and you have position.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with Sidetracked. I also prefer call pre flop with JTs from the button. I think this strategy with hand JTs isn't too good strategy in the long run. His small bets usually means that he will be have something weak on the flop. Second pair or something like that and he can't fold this hand. If I have some information about my opponents, some reads that he is weaker player, very rarely I think that bluff makes a sense. Better players can intuit that you have something weak, because you didn't continue aggression on the turn. You played raise on the flop for 0,30$ and later you only call small bet on the turn. This time you won this hand.

Last edited:
0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the 5BB open I would lean towards just cold calling preflop.

Flop raise is fine. Turn I would play the same given odds.

Why did you call the river? For information gathering i guess, or did you think you might be good?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So we all agree that calling pre-flop is way more profitable in this spot against this open. When we re-raise with J10s, we open ourselves 90% of the time to a 4bet, leading us to a fold in most cases. J10s is a hand that plays so well on the flop, so we want to get there building a pot while not blowing us off the hand at the same time.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Classic

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $6.46 (323 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $4.73 (237 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.33 (117 bb)
SB: $2.20 (110 bb)
BB: $2.56 (128 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with T J
UTG raises to $0.10, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.26, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.55) A K 2 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG calls $0.24

Turn: ($1.15) A (2 players)
UTG bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

River: ($1.31) 7 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Total pot: $1.51 (Rake: $0.05)

Showdown:
UTG shows 4 5 (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 38%, Flop: 37%, Turn: 26%, River: 0%)

BU (Hero) shows T J (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 62%, Flop: 63%, Turn: 74%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) wins $1.46

Hi there Bluebottle88, thank you for sharing your hand with the CardsChat community.
First of all this is a classic case of polarization preflop: UTG raises to 5x.
In a case like this we know that either UTG has the top of its range or nothing at all.
It seems that you have knowledge that UTG has a very wide preflop range, and it polarizes too. You know that UTG is opening 18% or more so it is okay to 3-bet trying to reach more fold equity with hands with good playability postflop, in position versus 18% opening range or more.
Nonetheless, if you had no information of your Villain or your Villain is a Tight Aggressive/Passive or a NIT, it should be a fold here.
I don't like calling too much here with JTs versus regulars from EP because I will be dominated in most scenarios, except when the flop comes AKQ and I get a straight. My Top Pairs would be dominated by better pairs, even my two pair and trips. My flushes would be dominated by better flushes so, I don't see why calling here, specially if UTG is a regular and open 5x, we know what this means.
It turns that UTG is a very weak player, and we see that by the texture of its tiny bet sizings flop, turn and river, giving such a great price for our Jack High to be ahead of 54s! OMG! :eek:
This play in only valid if you really have a good sample of statistics of UTG's Raise First. Otherwise you are guessing too much and raising in spots you should fold: Although UTG will not have many AK in its range, it could still have AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, KT, etc, and we would be c-betting flop almost dead (only the gutshot saves us?). Not versus a very weak player.
When do we 3-bet JTs BTN versus UTG: When the UTG is a very weak player opening more than 18% range or when UTG folds too much to 3-bet. Otherwise, calling here, as others have suggested, I believe that in general, it is a bad idea.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding and calling pre are both fine. This whole hand is spew IMO. You haven't mentioned reads or stats so raising an UTG open with JTs is a large mistake. Given our pre flop raise maybe there 's some merit to raising the flop donk but we should never be in that spot. After all that action calling down tiny turn and river bets to bluff catch against the tiny percent of the time where J high is good is hugely optimistic. I think you got super lucky here to win the pot. This luck will not save you often.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I prefer to just get out of the way, when someone makes an oversized 5BB open from UTG. Unless that player is a known maniac, its usually a strong hand and certainly ahead of JTs. And someone, who play like this, is probably not interested in folding to a 3-bet either. Postflop I like the way, you played the hand. Its pretty cool to call that silly river bet with Jack high like a boss :)