$2 NLHE 6-max: K9 Raise on the River

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginner here trying to get some help..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.49, PFR: 19.61, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, hands: 51)
BTN: 116.5 BB (VPIP: 10.34, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 29) <-Villain
SB: 100.5 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
BB: 130.5 BB (VPIP: 35.56, PFR: 17.78, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 49)
UTG: 177.5 BB (VPIP: 30.56, PFR: 19.44, 3Bet Preflop: 15.79, Hands: 37)
Hero (MP): 150.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K 9

fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, BTN calls 4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (9.5 BB, 2 players) 6 3 4
Hero checks, BTN bets 4.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (18.5 BB, 2 players) K
Hero checks, BTN bets 13.5 BB, Hero calls 13.5 BB

River: (45.5 BB, 2 players) 7
Hero checks, BTN bets 32.5 BB, Hero raises to 75 BB, fold

Hero wins 105 BB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel that my raise on the river was a good play based on my assumption of my opponent's range. He seemed like a TAG so I had his preflop calling range at QJs+, 99+, A8s+, AJ+ and he was on the button so he could've been bluffing air, a low pair or Ace high.

Did I have a correct assumption of the villains range?
How would you play a board like this?
Was the line I took +EV in your opinion?
Would this classify as a value bet, bluff, or neither?

If you have any other comments or insights on this hand let me know because it was an interesting hand to me.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have a bluff catcher so call the river if you think your good , i dont understand why you turned top pair into a bluff here ? . Also you have 2 over cards and a backdoor flush draw so it's a decent board to fire a cbet on. If you pick up equity on the turn with the flush draw just barrel away you can also barrel some scare cards like A J Q. It's not a board that hits villains range to well so villain will have plenty of floats with broadways and backdoor draws and also pp's to fold out on good turns and possibly rivers.

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a bluff catcher so call the river if you think your good , i dont understand why you turned top pair into a bluff here ? . Also you have 2 over cards and a backdoor flush draw so it's a decent board to fire a cbet on. If you pick up equity on the turn with the flush draw just barrel away you can also barrel some scare cards like A J Q. It's not a board that hits villains range to well so villain will have plenty of floats with broadways and backdoor draws and also pp's to fold out on good turns and possibly rivers.

Im still learning so I sometimes get myself into confusing situations lol but thanks your reply helped me understand what I can do better next time.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
villain has many hands with good showdown values and may not choose to triple barrel. Your river raise is very likely -EV in the long run but in vacuum villain could have folded bottom set but river raise in NL2 is almost never a bluff.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im still learning so I sometimes get myself into confusing situations lol but thanks your reply helped me understand what I can do better next time.

As John A mentions in the other hand history of the same hand, folding pre is a much better option. Then you avoid the situation,K9s is going to be a better open from the c/o and you can make arguments for folding it in the c/o as well.

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
villain has many hands with good showdown values and may not choose to triple barrel. Your river raise is very likely -EV in the long run but in vacuum villain could have folded bottom set but river raise in NL2 is almost never a bluff.

So you would consider this hand an example of a bluff?

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, fold pre flop and fold the flop. Check calling the turn seem right and just check call the river. I think your line is mostly going to get you into trouble or win you smaller sized pots while losing bog pots.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain probably figured you had weak Ace-x and when 7clubs hit re-figured you for A5o.
Had that seven not come on the river, he would have called you.
You my friend, got lucky.
While marginal to open from MP w/K9s, if you really don't get lucky with the flop, you should fold, otherwise your printing money for your opponents.

Last edited:
R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre. Also idk about opening to 4x although it can't be that terrible at 2nl.

to answer your questions:

- Your preflop calling range seems way off for a lot of reasons

- I would be betting on the small side a high % of the time on a flop like that

- the line will lose you money

- river is a bluff because as already mentioned you will never get called by worse and you shouldn't have any 5x after checking that flop.

I would recommend working on your opening ranges; the more mistakes you make preflop, the bigger the mistakes you will be making post flop.

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre. Also idk about opening to 4x although it can't be that terrible at 2nl.

to answer your questions:

- Your preflop calling range seems way off for a lot of reasons

- I would be betting on the small side a high % of the time on a flop like that

- the line will lose you money

- river is a bluff because as already mentioned you will never get called by worse and you shouldn't have any 5x after checking that flop.

I would recommend working on your opening ranges; the more mistakes you make preflop, the bigger the mistakes you will be making post flop.

Thanks im still learning so I know some of my moves seem trivial. Im gonna study way more preflop strategy this week.

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: you can either fold or raise 2.5 - 3 BB. In general i dont think its a good idea to ever raise 4 BB preflop unless you have certain reads on opponents and know they will call with worse.

Flop: you should usually be C-Betting here but the check isnt too bad. If you do check you should fold to the raise.

River: You have a bluff catcher and should just be calling. The only time you should Re-raising is if you are value betting or bluffing. K9 is too weak to value bet and too strong to bluff so just call.