$2 NLHE 6-max: Jam turn? Better line on the flop?

J

JessTee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 93.5 BB
SB: 227.5 BB
Hero (BB): 119.5 BB
UTG: 563.5 BB
MP: 123.5 BB
CO: 80.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: Q:spade:

UTG raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 12 BB, fold, MP calls 9 BB

Flop: (27.5 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond: J:club: 4:diamond:
Hero bets 15 BB, MP raises to 35 BB, Hero calls 20 BB

Turn: (97.5 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (97.5 BB, 2 players) K:heart:
Hero checks, MP bets 76.5 BB and is all-in, fold

MP wins 94 BB

Only 21 hands on the villain. I seem to be having a real problem playing out of position. I think my turn check was to maybe get a bet out of him on the turn after the min-raise otf. Should we just jam the flop? OTT (and i'm guessing this might be the case) are we just jamming there given we have a < pot size shove?

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
not betting at least half or 3/4 pot on the river allows your opponent to bluff you with anything

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: 3bet to 5x, 4x is too small.

F: as played, bet much bigger to 67-75% pot and we're stacking off.

As played (55% pot bet), vs raise we must 3bet jam. We don't like it, but nothing else to do readless.

Villain's raise sizing is weird, especially on a drawy flop, but readless we can't do anything else.

T: as played, check/evaluate is fine. I don't know what we do vs a jam because I wouldn't find myself in this spot with <1 SPR.

R: as played, fine.

Last edited:
Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are absolutely illogical hands. This is exactly the same hand. Why raise on the flop and check on the turn? Let's assume that there may be hands in his range that have a straight draw and a flush draw, as often happens. If you jam on the flop, you often get chances of 50%/50% or 60%/40%. But sometimes you will be already behind. 9T diamonds is an ideal hand that has hit the flop and will bluff on the river, since it has no chance of winning the showdown. But suppose that in the range of the opponent's hands JK. You would lose even more in this case if you put all in.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't think this villain would change his way of playing on the flop much, if you had played differently there.
When you bet cbet> 50% you can represent hands that you are protecting and expecting to collect value from various draws. Or you are simply giving up when V raise OTF, something that did not happen here.
If you had bet a smaller size on the flop, your villain would almost certainly raise anyway.
I agree to print all the pressure from the flop, but even preflop you could go bigger with the squeeze, like raise pot size, which would make a pot of 15bb.
The reason is that the MP range seems a bit closed when he call an ultra closed position like UTG. And you have an excellent hand to defend or even bluff preflop, hoping to collect value from hands like: AKs/o that could well be in UTG/MP when players don't show enough aggression preflop (possible at 2nl).
On the turn your check range is medium weak. However when V checks from behind his range becomes a bit wider. Now V not only has JJ and 88 in his range, but also JK; 9T; AK.
Therefore the river favors V range quite a bit, while your hand is a bit undervalued on this texture. To call with QQ it is better to do it with another combo that does not include the Qd, since you want V to have the failed flush draws in his range.
Greetings.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nh. The flop bet is big for a squeezed pot, but I don't hate it if you're staying consistent on those textures. There's no reason to 3-bet the flop or jam the turn. I think considering you have a D blocker in your hand, and there's no real good reason opponent should have lower SC's in a spot like this, I don't think there's much more you do here other than X turn and X/F river.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 93.5 BB
SB: 227.5 BB
Hero (BB): 119.5 BB
UTG: 563.5 BB
MP: 123.5 BB
CO: 80.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q Q

UTG raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 12 BB, fold, MP calls 9 BB

Flop: (27.5 BB, 2 players) 8 J 4
Hero bets 15 BB, MP raises to 35 BB, Hero calls 20 BB

Turn: (97.5 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (97.5 BB, 2 players) K
Hero checks, MP bets 76.5 BB and is all-in, fold

MP wins 94 BB

Only 21 hands on the villain. I seem to be having a real problem playing out of position. I think my turn check was to maybe get a bet out of him on the turn after the min-raise otf. Should we just jam the flop? OTT (and i'm guessing this might be the case) are we just jamming there given we have a < pot size shove?

Thank you for posting

This is a good hand for off the table practice of street by street preplanning. The more we practice preplanning off the tables the easier in game decisions become.

preflop

Mp calls UTG raise then your 3 bet what is the range that your player pool does this with?
What flop sizings do we want to have vs that range? We want to be thinking this before we see the flop.
What range are we targeting for value with a half pot size on this flop and why this size?
What part of V’s range folds on flop when we bet this size? Do we want those folds?

What other sizing could we choose and how does it interact with the above V range
What preplan do we have when raised? Why that plan vs the standard sizing raising range of the V? How does V sizing effect our range estimate? What preplan do we have for the min raise range?

We then continue preplanning each street as above defining and refining ranges and preplanning how to react to V actions.

One way to think about preplanning sizing is below
A sizing vs this player pool can be large for value 70% Pot as V are not floating a high % in 3 bet pots at this stake level nor are they folding top pair or even TT-22 on the flop bet.
The difference in % of range folding by V to a 70 vs 50% pot is low on this board in this player pool.

There are of course other sizings that may be effective depending on your player pools actions.

Hope this helps
:):)