T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Semi loose player called my 3x raise in the BB. I have a big overpair and was NOT putting him on the hand he turned over. Didn't think he had a small pair that hit a set since he didn't reraise in the BB. Was that a fair assumption?

Should I not have jammed his huge raise on the flop?

No Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02
Winning Poker Network
6 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (
$3.56)
MP - MP (
$1.73)
CO - CO (
$2.00)
BTN - BTN (
$0.47)
SB - Hero (
$2.12)
BB - BB (
$3.20)

Preflop: (
$0.03, 6 players) Hero is SB with Q♠ Q♥4 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop:
5♥ 3♠ 6♦ ($0.12, 2 players - Hero: $2.06, BB: $3.14)Hero bets $0.09, BB raises to $0.39, Hero raises to $2.06 (all-in), BB calls $1.67

Total Pot:
$4.24

Results below

Hero shows Q♠ Q♥ (two pair, Queens and Sixs [Qs Qh 6d 6c 5h])
BB shows
3♥ 6♥ (a full house, Sixs full of Threes [6h 6d 6c 3s 3h])
Hero shows
Q♠ Q♥ (a pair of Queens [Qs Qh Jd 9s 6d])
BB shows
3♥ 6♥ (two pair, Sixs and Threes [6h 6d 3s 3h Jd])

BB wins $2.02

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very dangerous flop for an overpair, since its very connected. This mean, he can have a lot of two pair or even a flopped straight as well as sets. And its not like for instance a J high board, where he can have a strong top pair and be willing to play a big pot with that. He either have you beat, a draw with loads of equity, or he have something pretty weak, which will not play a huge pot. You could actually even check here to induce some bluffs and also wait for a safe card, before you start to put money in.

C-betting is ok though, but when he raise you full pot, its certainly only a call. At this point your focus should 100% shift into trying to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. And on a lot of runouts, you will probably need to lay it down, if he continue firing these big bets. Going broke with an overpair in a single raised pot in a 100BB cash game is a bit of a rookie mistake to be honest with you. But dont worry. We have all been there, done that and bought the T-shirt :)

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Going broke with an overpair in a single raised pot in a 100BB cash game is a bit of a rookie mistake to be honest with you. But dont worry. We have all been there, done that and bought the T-shirt :)

Indeed. I am for SURE a rookie at this stage! Thank you for your response. I will review it and play better next time.

J

Jefsticle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I was intrigued by the question of can you rule out a small pair because of BB only calling your raise. So I went and checked out some preflop charts. Both Jonathan Little and Alton Harding are putting these low pairs as calling hands. I think that if I was faced with a button raise holding 22-66 I would call.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi, I was intrigued by the question of can you rule out a small pair because of BB only calling your raise. So I went and checked out some preflop charts. Both Jonathan Little and Alton Harding are putting these low pairs as calling hands. I think that if I was faced with a button raise holding 22-66 I would call.
Thank you for that. Very good to know!