$2 NLHE 6-max: can I fold AK on AdJdJh 3bet multiway pot.?

M

Morra123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): $3.73 (187 bb)
MP: $5.97 (299 bb)
CO: $2.27 (114 bb)
BU: $3.55 (178 bb)
SB: $4.27 (214 bb)
BB: $2.34 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, BTN calls $0.06, SB 3-bets to $0.26, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20, BTN calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.80) 4 A J (3 players)
SB bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.62, BU folds

Turn: ($2.04) J (2 players)
SB bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

River: ($3.34) T (2 players)
SB bets $2.58, Hero calls $2.20 (all-in)

Total pot: $7.74 (Rake: $0.27)

Showdown:
SB shows A J (a full house, Jacks full of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 85%, Turn: 99%, River: 100%)

UTG (Hero) shows A K (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 15%, Turn: 1%, River: 0%)

SB wins $7.47

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): $3.73 (187 bb)
MP: $5.97 (299 bb)
CO: $2.27 (114 bb)
BU: $3.55 (178 bb)
SB: $4.27 (214 bb)
BB: $2.34 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, BTN calls $0.06, SB 3-bets to $0.26, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20, BTN calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.80) 4 A J (3 players)
SB bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.62, BU folds

Turn: ($2.04) J (2 players)
SB bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

River: ($3.34) T (2 players)
SB bets $2.58, Hero calls $2.20 (all-in)

Total pot: $7.74 (Rake: $0.27)

Showdown:
SB shows A J (a full house, Jacks full of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 85%, Turn: 99%, River: 100%)

UTG (Hero) shows A K (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 15%, Turn: 1%, River: 0%)

SB wins $7.47

Zoom tables are very dangerous mate, but they can have a lot of fun as well.
Yes, players will always show you the nuts at a Zoom table so we must be prepared for very nasty business, once that, most of times, we have no idea who we are facing.

Preflop

I don't mind flatting AK, but when we are going to play a heads-up, only! In this case, when we do flat, we allow player in position (BTN) to flat as well and put us into a very weird spot, where we will not have position, SB is the first to act and sometimes we are going to call a bom of the SB OTF, just to fold next to a BTN's jamming.
Here we don't need to know the opponent very much to be putting a 4-bet bluff, so we do isolate BTN and if the SB comes over the top we cover it completely because we are removing AA, KK, etc, so great chances that SB to have a dominated hand or hands that will scream in the face of AK.

The postflop

It is hard to be folding to a very good price OTF, but SB still has AA on its range, which sucks, and the same idea goes to the turn, also very hard to be folding.
But, OTR we cannot simply continue with our TPTK because we simply called 3-bet preflop, so what are we expecting here, to be true?
SB to be bluffing AQ? Because AT and AJ are beating the hell out of us. What next, are we expecting a bunch of A9s, A8s doing this? Really? What else can we say, SB whiffed its KK, QQ and it is trying to take the pot by force? Hard to believe.
Great part of SB's ranges hit OTR, so we are losing for a ton of hands such as AJ, AT, AA, JJ, KJs, TT, you name it. ;)

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MW I don't mind 4-betting AK even though we're deep and have position. I don't hate the flat, but I don't EV wise it plays as well when you have to be in the sandwiched position.

The rest of the hand is fine. You're splitting this pot most of the time, and you're only losing to AA/Jx, and beating all bluffs which there should be a decent amount w/ a squeeze coming from the SB.

You'd get better advice if you had some stats on your opponents. Because the turn could be a fold against more passive opponents.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Given that BTN has called our initial raise, I lean towards 4-betting AK, which is also my default line in general. If you get jammed on or 5-bet in some way, its usually fine to then let it go, especially when you are 200BB effective. The reason, I prefer a 4-bet, is, that I think, AK is way ahead of SBs squeeze range, and I dont want to invite BTN to stick around with position on me, so that I am monkey in the middle postflop. 4-betting also serve to put a break on overly aggressive 3-betters on regular tables, where people remember, whan happened in previus hands.

Flop
Because you just flatted the 3-bet, stack to pot ratio is a little deep with 4,5, which is a bit of a tricky spot with TPTK. Its right in between, that we automatically stack it off, and that we dont stack it off. His C-bet is pretty large, and there is a guy left behind, so I think, just calling is fine. If we raise, we might mostly get action from hands, that beat us, and we take away our option to possibly fold later.

Turn
The J pairing is actually a good card for you, since now there are less combos available of AJ and JJ, and he really should not have other JX hands like KJ or QJ to often, when he take a line like this. His sizing is also very small, so you have a mandatory call.

River
Now the KQ gutshot got there, and he moves you all in. This is a bit of a gross spot. There are not to many hands, you beat here. Maybe an overplayed AQ or a hand like KdTd, which was semibluffing and decide to still bluff the river with bottom pair. It could be a chopped pot against another AK. This is actually one of his more likely holdings, and even just for this reason you probably have to call.

I put the hand into eqilab, and if we assign him a range of AA, JJ, AK, AJ, and KQs, then you have 20% equity, which is not enough. This is however pretty much a worst case scenario. If we add just two combos of hands, that you beat, which could for instance be a partial AQ, then you have 30%, which is enough to make a break even call.

Conclusion
This was mostly just an unfortunate cooler, and I think, you played postflop fine. I do however also think, that you should have 4-bet pre, and this would likely have changed the outcome, since its difficult for AJ to call a 4-bet out of position. And if he did indeed call, then at least you made him to suck out on you, and you win more, when this does not happen.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With these size of bet on the flop I will fell uncomfortable to just call, he are betting 3/4 of the pot, it's só high, I will put him in a good hand, and play out of position are bad, some players make this bet to protect good hands from the draws, and with the same bet on the turn he can trying to test your hand power, or just try to make you try to bluff or raise by value with Aces or Jacks that you can have in your range, It's great to extract value from the flushdraw that will wait another card in the river.

It's more easy make analyse now, in the game I think I will make the same decision, although I had fold sometimes with AK, because the size bet and the number of players in the hand, we can't forget the importance of the position, in the late position there are some low pair that will fold for a 4bet preflop, and making a set on the flop this size bet on the flop try to extract value from the aces on the UTG range.

Play cash are a little different from the tournament, you can fold and wait a better opportunity there are no reason to get involved in a uncomfortable situation, there are no reasons to play difficulties spots.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think you played good this hand. I probably play like hero. I prefer call 3bet pre, because we are even on deep stack. For me it seems that opponent had only lucky. Not many times somebody hit top two pair on the flop. I think we can't fold hands like this with TPTK, we have to risk. It is very rare situation top two pair on the flop. Besides for me it is a little loose 3bet pre flop versus two opponents. IMO you didn't make a big mistake in this hand. On the other hand we can play more aggressive and we can play this hand by 4 betting, but it is a little too risky move. GL :)

Folding in Poker