$2 NLHE 6-max: How to play this pre-flop spot?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.21 (111 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $1.65 (83 bb)
SB: $2.25 (113 bb)
BB: $3.08 (154 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 5 5
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN 3-bets to $0.20, SB calls $0.19, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.62) 3 A K (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.46, SB calls $0.46, CO (Hero) folds

Turn: ($1.54) 8 (2 players)
SB checks, BTN bets $0.99 (all-in), SB calls $0.99

River: ($3.52) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

BU shows Q 5 (a pair of Kings)
SB shows K J (three of a kind, Kings)

Villain Reads: Both are loose and fishy and 3-bet happy

If the SB had folded, would this spot be a call?
Against villains that are 3-betting optimally the ranges I use are flatting with 44 and 55 at 50% frequency CO vs BTN when 100BB deep. In this case I know that the BTN is 3-betting much looser than optimal, so should 55 be a call here? His bet size is a little big, and implied odds when I hit a set are limited because his starting stack is 83 BB, but at the same time he is a splashy opponent which increases the implied odds realization. It is also possible I can win the pot if it checks to the river, or I can call a flop bet on a reasonable board and then it checks to river, or I can bet turn on a reasonable board if he checks back flop etc.

Does the SB cold-calling make this a better or worse spot to call?
In a multiway pot my hand basically becomes a pure set mine, so if I am calling 7BB then I need to make ~70BB on average on the times I do hit a set, which might be reasonable given there will already be 31BB in the pot and there are good implied odds against two splashy opponents. If both opponents were strong though then maybe fold?

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO 44, or 55 are too low to be played out of position. If one is going to play them I think raising is better than limping. I would call when the SB calls. It closes the action and reduces the odds need to hit a set.

If SB doesn't call Hero will most likely be playing against two overs on the board. What is Hero's plan heads up when He checks and Villain CBets 1/2 pot? If hero calls an doesn't hit the 2 outer and another over card comes on the turn/ Is Hero willing to bet stacks with a bluff catcher?

Better to fold, IMHO.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
5's are tough to play in that situation. A fold was best since you didn't flop a set.
I can say this, if you folded the flop feeling beat because someone hit their K then Kudos. I watched the hand before I read the whole street-for-street analogy and assumed someone hit their K since the call after the raise was made by the 3-bet caller. The 3-bettor was too aggressive, here, imo. Gave away that he didn't have an A.
The lesson here, that I see, is players will call a bet 10x the BB w/suited paints in the SB at $.01/.02; and why not? This is the lowest limit cash game in poker so I would expect nothing less. I'm surprised there wasn't an all-in.

Last edited:
M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: open fine, easy fold vs 3bet. I don't understand your thought process: to beat loose fishy players we tighten up and play a standard TAG game, not a loose passive game ourselves.

Whether SB overcalls or not, we have very easy fold vs 3bet OOP.

F: as played, easy check/fold.