$2 NLHE 6-max: Hoping hard for a flush with suited hand and 2 more on flop

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
This happened a few times already. I have suited hand and on the flop there come 2 more suited cards that help me (suited ace in this case means it helps me more than non ace suited cards for example)

https://www.boomplayer.com/31830053_343B8DCE40

would you say its a reasonable play? I didnt sit long on the table so I can not really make many assumptions on how tight or loose the opponent played. i felt it was average.

Additionally to suggestions on how such a hand should be played im curious on if I even should "chase" a flush like that. Would you also say it would have changed with a non ace spades instead of the ace right there?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few things I've noticed. First, your pre flop 3 bet is way to small. I prefer 3 betting the BU open to flatting but when you 3 bet you should be going at least 3x to 15c perhaps 18c to account for the posted small blind limper. By min raising from 5 to 8 you are just creating a larger 3 way pot with the worst position since you have to go first. Your flop bet is also too large. Do you always make pot sized bets when you like the flop? 12-16c is fine. When MP calls he most likely has an Ace since we block the best flush draws. After betting pot on the flop you are repping a big Ace or a set. The turn is a blank 6s. When you check you are turning your cards face up and allowing your V to bet for value and / or bluff away vs your flush draw or under pair. At slightly over 1/2 pot he is giving you about 3 to 1 and you should fold unless you think he will call your all in if you hit. Most people dont so just fold turn. After you call and miss why would you call off the rest of your stack with K high? Just fold. So in summary, bigger 3 bet, smaller flop bet, barrel turn and fold to the raise, check / fold river. As played fold to the turn bet, calling is a leak in many peoples game unless you're sure you will get called if you hit your draw and you already said you didn't have reads so you don't know if they will call, fold to the river bet. This is a HUGE mistake (calling river with K high). Plays like calling this river will make it very hard for you to win long term.

To your other point it is very important to be drawing to the nuts. You should be chasing less often when you are drawing to a smaller flush draw since there will be times that two people make the same flush and the smaller flush loses. If it was a different Ace on the flop you should probably cbet 2/3 pot then give up (check / fold).

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Additionally to suggestions on how such a hand should be played im curious on if I even should "chase" a flush like that. Would you also say it would have changed with a non ace spades instead of the ace right there?

In addition to what Cornbread allready said:

Preflop:
Either just call or 3bet on the larger side, around 20 cents. Make them pay. We are not here to hold hands and let our opponets see flops with every garbage Hand they like to play. All preflopactions from all players involved in the hand show that they are probably weak opponents. Weak opponents like to see flops with a lot of bad hands, so we make them pay for that.

Flop:
-If we raised preflop: We c-bet the board and go broke on it. Meaning if he raises we jam on him and if he calls we c-bet jam the turn. Villain Probably doenst care and will call us anyway with his AJ. But think about it this way, if we play that hand a million times, we will allways have AQ+,AA, 99 and our KQs. Against that range of hands Villain will allways loose money.

-If we called pre: Dont donkbet! Unless you were the preflopraiser (initiative) or you have a very clear understanding of how to balance youre range in these spots just dont do it. Play youre draws x/c or x/r looks stronger and youre hand is not as faceup. Dont forgett you have a pretty decent draw, a K high bluff, but not a made-hand. If it would come to the showdown now you have K high, wich is not a strong hand.

Considering weak players like this like to play a lot of aces, and generally i wouldnt advice to bluff theese players at all, because they just wont fold, i say the best approach is to x/c (check/ call)

-Turn blanks, we should check again, villain will bet into us and if we get correct odds we call.
-Turn doesnt blank, lets say 2 of clubs comes, we check, villain might stab again and if he does we jam into him.

-River blanks, we chek fold
-River doesnt blank, lets say 2 of clubs comes, we check, villain might stab again and if he does we jam into him.

Players like theese like to be the sherrif at the table and look everyone up. They wont fold theire Ax most likely, if he is scared (what he should btw) we take down a decent pot oop. And if he actually believes he has value on the River and bets again, well, then its payday :D

And obv. as played that call on the river as you played it is beyond any reasoning imo. No front, but sometimes the truth hurts a bit ;)

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest with you, every single decision you made in this hand was bad.

Preflop
Either just call or make a real 3-bet. Out of position 4x is a good size especially against a small open, so in this case 4 x 5 = 20c. A small 3-bet just bloat the pot, when you are out of position. Everyone is going to call, when you give them such amazing odds.

Flop
Definitely C-betting this, but now you bet to much. You are not trying to make someone fold top pair, you are just trying to get them off hands, that missed, and maybe some baby pocket pairs.

Turn
Continue betting. Its very face up and easy to play against, if you C-bet the flop a ton, but then you always shut down on the turn, unless you have the nuts. People do actually sometimes fold to the second barrel, and you want to use hands, that have equity like this one.

River
Check-fold. No need to hero call for an entire stack with the nut nothing. While your other decisions were not optimal, they were at least +EV. This however is not. Its spew, and its burning money.

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After betting pot on the flop you are repping a big Ace or a set.
I tried to google it. What does repping mean?

Thanks everyone. I had to research alot of things to understand what you are saying and I think I understood most of it.
Its a very interesting and in depth insight of the game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tried to google it. What does repping mean?

Its short for representing. The strong hands, that the opponent will think, you can have for value, when you bet or raise.

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands