Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $4.30 (215 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.08 (104 bb)
CO: $0.96 (48 bb)
BU: $2.10 (105 bb) VPIP/PFR/AF/3bet (28/26/1.5/22) over 59 hands
SB: $2.50 (125 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with T T
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, BTN 3-bets to $0.22, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.16, CO calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.69) A 7 T (3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.69) J (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.14, BTN raises to $0.85, Hero ??

I think I would have 4bet preflop if the sample size on BTN is larger.

Flop I would expect BTN cbet at very high frequency and check-raise but it gets checked through.

Turn would play check-call by default however the hand becomes weird after BTN raised large when CO did a fishy bet.

Would you call/raise/fold?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a tough spot.

Firstly, I think you should bet out the turn. You may get a call from QQ and KK, which would check behind the flop.

But on the turn it really depends on his range. From a tight 3-bet range (JJ+, AK) you'd then have to figure out if he plays AK this way. Likely not, so fold against a tight 3-bet range. Given the action so far I'd lay this down. Let me know if I'm a huge nit.

If he could 3-bet with AJ, or 3-bet bluff with 77s or A7, then it gets a little more complicated. He doesn't look to be too loose or aggro for 6-max from our data, so this isn't likely.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard call even out of position.

Flop
Checking to the preflop aggressor is standard and almost mussel memory to schooled players. However it is worth nothing, that AI software does a lot more donk betting that good human players, and I actually think, this would have been a really good spot for it.

First this is a 3-bet pot, so we dont need the help of other players to get stacks inside. We can simply bet, bet, shove and be all in on the river. Second if we check-raise here, we makes it easier for the fish to get away from, whatever he has.

If we lead out, then the fish is next to act, and he is going to stick in the call, if he connected in any way. His A8, his silly draw, his QQ, that he can not fold. And if BTN has a hand like AK or AQ, then he is at minimum calling as well. With a bit of luck, he will even raise, and we can get all the money in on the flop against both of them.

The argument for not donk betting is, that we need to protect our checking range by including very strong hands like sets. But this is 2NL, and nobody is smart enough to think in ranges or exploit us, when we check. Especially not in multiway pots with a fish in between.

It can also be argued, that BTN might get away from JJ-KK cheaply. But on the other side, is he ever going to put in money with those hands, unless they improve? I would say probably not. So by checking we basically just allow him a 4-5% chance to spike a better set for free, and then stack us.

Turn
As played I would lead now. I really dont want it to check through again, and check-calling is also awkward, because what then is the plan for the river? We still have a very strong hand, so there is no reason to not take the initiative.

When BTN raise the fishy bet, it does become a real possibility, that we could be behind to a better set or a straight. I still think, our hand is way to strong to fold though, and our decision making will not get any easier on the river. So as played I go all in now, and then it just is, what it is.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not a cash game expert but i think you need to bet in this type of flop, you can't allow free cards for a possible flush draw after a 3bet preflop, AA, JJ, or even KQc is the only hands in my opinion who this BTN guy can had to do this type of bet, so i would fold because of that

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would lead on turn but as played i'd just shove there. Preflop and flop are well played :)

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree to get ahead of the flop in this case. I think it is a good time to achieve maximum performance in this place. And we have the color blocker in favor, so it is an ideal place to take all the money quickly.
On the turn I think that if you did not bet before you should consider doing it now, since there are possibly many smaller hands that try to catch you.
According to the readings we have from HUD, if we face a 3-bet we may have to pay for protection, but the possibility that we are behind a larger staircase increases considerably.
According to what has been played, I think this is a painful fold.
Regards.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy is 3 betting 22%? That seems really wide. Normally I'd call pre with TT but it's tempting to 4 bet here. Calling is still best with the fish between though, just thinking out loud. Could go either way on the flop. We block some flush draws so I prefer to check since 3 bet pots are often cbet. Donking is also fine in this case I think. You have to lead turn once the flop checks through. As played you are massively under-repped and BU is playing back at fishy turn bet. BU should have essentially put us on an underpair or something irrelevant after checking twice on a flush draw board. This allows him to go crazy with any two pair hand or maybe even AQ+. He could also have some combo draws like KcTc if he's 3 betting that wide. As much as it feels like his KQ and JJ just got there we are definitely too strong to fold. If we led turn, CO called and then BU jams we could consider our options but here, as played we simply cant fold in my opinion. I actually prefer calling the turn raise and jamming river to jaming turn since we have fish behind us who will likely call off his stack if we call. It makes our hand look like a busted flush draw. If we jam turn even fishy players will fold 1 pair hands like AQ+ a lot. The reason I say that is because our jam should have no fold equity against BU who has us covered. Jamming turn is also fine but since I cant imagine BU folding now or later it seems worth it to get CO money in the pot too just in case BU has AJ or something.

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whoops, V can't have KcTc since we have the Tc but something like KcJc, QcJc and AJ which we beat could take this line along with value hands like AA, JJ and KQ.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually prefer calling the turn raise and jamming river to jaming turn since we have fish behind us who will likely call off his stack if we call.

I like the creativity of that line, but the issue is, we are going to hate more than half of all river cards, and we could end up in a situation, where we jam and only get called by better hands. Any club or spade complete a flush, and a K or Q puts out a 1-liner as well.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the plus action will be push and call.
The choice here depends on the state of the hero. If we proceed from profit maximization, then the flop is preferable to call.
If the hero is at a loss and does not know what to do, then push.
The second is more likely to reset in any case or not reset depending on the available combination (regardless of call or push). Therefore, it should not be taken into account.
Why push .on the flop in front of us AA. On the flop ahead of us AA.
We can lose either to the flush draw, or if the King, Queen or Jack falls to the senior set, a straight option is possible. These combinations will pay. Therefore, in order not to knock them out before the turn, it is better to call.
Consider the BTN. He has a very wide range of cbet with such a range, the draw line implies two tight barrels, regardless of whether you get into the flop or not. The OPP apparently plays according to this strategy. If you did not get on the river gave up.
If he has AA then I do not see the point in his last bet of 6 bet. Clearly on knocking out oppov. If he was afraid of the flush draw, why didn't he push? To be sure to protect themselves, and in case of collapse to collect a full pot.
If he cbet was within 3% it is better to reset the preflop to avoid such draws.

Last edited: