$2 NLHE 6-max: hit top two pairs at flop but facing a raise.

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB(104BB)
Hero(205BB)
Pre-Flop: (1.5BB) Hero is MP with A K
3 players fold, Hero raises to 2.5BB, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (6BB) A K 3(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bet 4.5BB, SB raise to 12BB, Hero calls.

Turn: (30BB) Q(2 players)
SB bets 22.5BB, Hero calls.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
River: (75BB) J
SB checks, Hero checks.

SB shows 5h6h, SB wins.

I think calling is standard here, but is it viable to re-raise the flop to simply fast play here?

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove it in make him pay to chase, if he has a set so be it.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
SB(104BB)
Hero(205BB)

[/FONT]
SB checks, Hero checks.

SB shows 5h6h, SB wins.

I think calling is standard here, but is it viable to re-raise the flop to simply fast play here?

I am not sure if I am aware of your position, please try to describe it with more care.
Regarding to the hand itself, I think raising on the flop isn't the best option, because we are blocking most of Ax and Kx, and Villain can fold a lot.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SB(104BB)
Hero(205BB)

[/FONT]
SB checks, Hero checks.

SB shows 5h6h, SB wins.

It seems to me that the hand was an excellent play by both players, SB hoped to complete his color project and he did it, Hero had only the possibility of winning if A or K was doubled for full and if the color was completed for him with the K of hearts. He had to bring his hand up to the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Seems like Hero was BTN and not MP as stated, but regardless AK is of course a mandatory open from any seat. In the low end of the micros I prefer a larger sizing like 3BB, because players make so many bad calls, but 2,5BB is not a big deal.

Flop
Never slowplay in the micros. Ok maybe if you flop quads, then slowplay. But in a spot like this, you are only behind to 33, and if he has that hand, then god bless him. He is also going to call with a lot of worse hands, because very few if any players at 2NL is able to raise and then fold to a 3-bet on the same street. With a bit of luck he will come over the top, and you get it all in on the flop as a big favourite.

Turn
Not a great card since now the most obvious draw got there, but your hand is still to strong to fold. I am beginning to look for more of a cheap showdown now though. Or even better spike that 4-outer to a boat on the river.

River
Another bad card putting out a 1-liner to a straight. Pretty weird that he checked his flush, but it gave you an easy decision to check back and get the bad news.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, when an opponent is willing to pay as much as they want to try to collect a flush, we have no choice but to make them pay more and reassure ourselves that you will win more at a distance.:)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, when an opponent is willing to pay as much as they want to try to collect a flush, we have no choice but to make them pay more and reassure ourselves that you will win more at a distance.:)

Apart from checking the river I think, Villain played his hand perfectly fine. Calling from SB with a suited connector against a 2,5BB steel from BTN is a bit loose, but its certainly not the worst call, I have seen.

Postflop Villain had a decent draw, and he had 6 high, so he had no showdown value at all. So if there ever was a spot to check-raise as a bluff, this was pretty much it. Just sucks for Villain, that Hero was at the absolute top of his range, but of course Villain compensated nicely for that by hitting his card on the turn :)

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop play

I think a 3 bet on the flop would have been ideal as the only combo villain realistically has that's ahead of us is 33, he should never have AA or KK here. If we 3 bet there there is still so much villain can call with Ah3h, KhJh, possibly lower Ax combos and flush draws.