$2 NLHE 6-max: Hand Review - Raise on River

R

roshdc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,
Would love to hear your thoughts on this hand. What do you think this guy had? Could this be a bluff?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 138 BB
SB: 103.5 BB
Hero (BB): 77 BB
UTG: 274.5 BB
MP: 119 BB
CO: 173 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T J

fold, fold, CO raises to 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (8 BB, 3 players) K T K
Hero checks, CO bets 7.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 7.5 BB

Turn: (23 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (23 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero bets 5 BB, CO raises to 20 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way the hand played out, he could have almost anything including many different hands, that beat you, and also a bluff. I think, you played preflop, flop and turn fine, but I dont like your river bet. I guess, you are trying to get value from ace high or 55-99, but its a little to thin and face up in my opinion.

Would you ever use this size with a boat, a flush or a bluff? Probably not. So you might as well turn your cards face up, which is rarely a good idea, unless the opponent is completely dumb. Which someone playing 2NL Zoom might or might not be. As played you kind of have to call, but I would rather have check-called a smaller bet than induced this raise.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey,
Would love to hear your thoughts on this hand. What do you think this guy had? Could this be a bluff?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 138 BB
SB: 103.5 BB
Hero (BB): 77 BB
UTG: 274.5 BB
MP: 119 BB
CO: 173 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T J

fold, fold, CO raises to 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (8 BB, 3 players) K T K
Hero checks, CO bets 7.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 7.5 BB

Turn: (23 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (23 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero bets 5 BB, CO raises to 20 BB

Calling preflop fine because we had proper odds and a hand with good playability postflop. OTF we could be folding, since the flop is dry and Villain/CO gave us no proper odds.
But ever since we have called we should go til the river by checking back.
Your bet OTR is non-sense, because if Villain has a Tx it would be a best one that would never call and if Villain has the Kx it is raising, or even if Villain has missed draws and raise us here we cannot call "too see".
This bet OTR is a classic case of betting for information, something we don't do at the cash tables.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played on previous streets, leading the river makes no sense. You have a bluff catcher. Check and call/fold depending on his bet sizing.

R

roshdc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Thanks that's helpful. In particular I bet on the river because I didn't really know what my hand was, in the sense of how to play it. I didn't know villains hand as the turn check didn't make sense with the flush draw.

Realizing that my hand is a "bluff catcher" helps me to realize that I only play this if I think he is bluffing, in which case I do not want to inflate the pot with a weak hand on the river and induce a raise which I am not willing to gamble on by calling.

Had I checked and he bet say 10 BB, I would probably call and see if he had a King or just air. I don't think he has a flush with the pot sized bet on the flop, no reason to do this.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had I checked and he bet say 10 BB, I would probably call and see if he had a King or just air. I don't think he has a flush with the pot sized bet on the flop, no reason to do this.

I agree with all of this.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands