$2 NLHE 6-max: Good enough implied odds to call here?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.94 (97 bb)
CO: $1.63 (82 bb)
BU: $2.70 (135 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.36 (118 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with 7 5
UTG calls $0.02, 2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.18) K 5 A (2 players)
Hero bets $0.13, UTG calls $0.13

Turn: ($0.44) A (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

River: ($0.88) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

Villain Stats: 59/3 (29 hands), Fold to C-bet: (4/4)

Pre-flop I went for an ISO with the expectation to win the pot with a c-bet most of the time against a fit-or-fold player.

Went for a big bet on the flop to build a pot. Thinking that if he calls he is going to be very sticky with whatever he has and I can cash in if I hit a flush.

I checked the turn thinking he at least has a pair and against this player-type I don't have good fold equity anymore. Villain is passive so when he bets turn I am putting him on an ace and maybe rarely a draw. I have 25% pot odds and am drawing to a flush. I don't have direct odds to call, but there are implied odds if I hit and he has trip aces. I will be OOP on the river though and also have some reverse implied odds with my low flush. And rake in a pot this big is also hurting my implied odds.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: easy fold, I don't understand your thinking.

Why do you want to iso OOP with a speculative hand vs a loose player? And fold equity is low to non-existent in nl2, why do you think you can regularly take pots away with flop cbets? Yes, I see stats, but 29 hands isn't a sample for postflop tendencies.

Most important stats you can reasonably rely on are 59/3 and this guy isn't folding in general, pre and postflop.

F: as played, easy check/evaluate, usually check/call vs reasonable bet-size. What's your plan vs a raise?

T: as played, check/call vs reasonable bet, check/fold vs big bet.

R: fine.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you had a hand like 77 or 55 and you decide to raise, your goal should be to get money fast and represent the best value in this spot.
The standard here should be 6x. 3bb increase + 1bb for each limper (2 limpers) + 1bb additional because you have no position in relation to your opponents.
When you do 4x the villain from UTG could perceive that you are not exerting enough pressure to seek isolation and that idea favors his calling range.
However, your line could be acceptable against players who tend to play few hands or what is the same, a VPIP low enough to trust that any size of raise will get fold equity from their ranges.
But in general you should think about stealing money from your opponents when the situation warrants it.
In this case you have all the points against you: You have a weak hand and you have the worst position at the table.
If you want to level up a bit you could just call his over limp but in general you have to fold more of these types of hands in these places.
On the flop your cbet looks more solid, but in reality you expose yourself too much when faced with raises, because you could be short of better combinations. A cbet of up to half a pot at most should be enough to win the hand.
On the turn you should fold most of the time that your villain donk bet. Since while it is good to block the 5, because it reduces the possibility of being drawing dead, many rivers could favor the villain and it is honestly not worth taking the risk when you have a thin hand and were looking for a better board texture when you decided to play it.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With big bet poker, implied odds are a huge part of it, and I think getting 3:1 direct odds on your flush draw is fine.

It's a shame the board paired as that can counterfeit some of your flush outs.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
villain most likely to have Ax with outs to full house , also might have better flush draw. You don't have 25%, this is easy fold.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
id go all in after turn to maximize fold equity and get paid if you hit flush on river

J

JessTee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt have ISO'd oop with that hand, would just have folded pre.

I don't mind wider ISO's in LP but I wouldn't have done it from the blinds, if ISO here i'm doing it for value with bigger face cards, KT/Q9 etc, suited Ax or PP like 77+

As played, flop cbet is fine, c/c ott is fine as we still have some value, and i'm c/f'ing on the river vs a passive player like this.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All lines are okay but on the flop, you could bet less even though I get the reasoning why you're doing so. If you get raised, you're voluntarily decreasing your own odds to catch the best hand, You're in a favorable spot, vs just a single pair you're actually a favorite, 60-40 on the flop. Also if you're c-betting flop, u gotta keep firing or all those medium pairs stick along n call of ur river bluff. Would just bet 1/4 on flop but well played overall!

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator