$2 NLHE 6-max: Good or bad flop to light c-bet?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.88 (94 bb)
BU: $0.40 (20 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.55 (128 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with 8 8
UTG raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.24, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.18

Flop: ($0.50) J 3 K (2 players)
Hero bets $0.25, UTG calls $0.25

Turn: ($1) K (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.25, SB (Hero) folds

Villain Stats: 42/37 (19 hands)

Villain is an apparent rec player but I have little info on them. Hard to tell what there 3-bet calling range his, could be wider than usual. No info on his fold to c-bet but I guess recs in this population tend more towards low fold to c-bet.

I went for a c-bet with this hand but now I think its a bad spot for it since K and J hit villains 3-bet calling range pretty well and I don't have much chance to improve my equity on later streets. Also I am OOP.

Thoughts on this spot?

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a cbet most of the time (~70%, I use RNG) with a bet size on the high side. That the rec would come along after the cbet is actually a good thing. The turn is a double-barrel card (it hits your 3bet range). As played, against the quarter-bet, your fold seems exploitable in the future. A LAG with <77 and any draws could bet small when checked to. With a check-call, it'd be one of those yucky hang-on-to-your-hat kinda situation that you may have to be grit it with 88 against a LAG's small bets and, if it so happens that you lose, that you'd lose minimum.

just my humble opinion.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet is fine, turn is a hard choice. Kind of hard to make a good choice with only 19 hands. Sometimes players donk bet turn when they hit so they don't get checked behind, sometimes its air when they are LAGgy.

I'd probably give up and wait for more hands. If the player truly is 42/37 it does make sense to rip it in there sometimes with 88.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That board hits your 3 betting range well, so I think your c bet is fine. You're kind of repping a King on the flop, so double barrelling on the turn shouldn't be bad.