$2 NLHE 6-max: Give up or continue on this turn card?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $4.29 (215 bb)
MP: $1.98 (99 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.12 (106 bb)
SB: $1.92 (96 bb)
BB: $4.56 (228 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with 6 5
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, CO calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) 9 7 3 (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $0.19, CO calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.77) Q (2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.77) A (2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks

Villain Stats: TAG Reg

I went for the light 3-bet here since I think there is decent fold equity against this player specifically, but I wouldn't be doing this against most of the population.

I am wondering if I should have barreled the turn?

Merits:
-No showdown value
-Have a gutshot
-Can get folds from overcards w/ a backdoor: AKs, AJs, ATs, KJs, KTs, JTs (18 combos)
-Can get folds from AKo (12 combos)
-Can get folds from 66 and 88 (9 combos)

Cons:
-The queen hits a good chunk of his range: AQ, KQs, QJs, QTs (21 combos)
-A9s, TT, JJ and maybe T9s probably are not folding (18 combos)

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are telling a story and you must be consistent with it. When you decide to 3-bet preflop, which is totally acceptable in a CO VS BU duel, on the flop you are representing a lot of overpairs on that low-middle oriented board. Because of your big bet cbet.
If you want to be more cautious I recommend a smaller size on the flop. I mean, this is a good place to triple barrel bluff if you decide to go for half pot on the flop.
When you slow down on the turn, your range becomes weaker because now it looks like your flop bet was a desperate attempt to get your opponent to fold in this super dry texture.
The advantages of betting less on the flop is that it will allow you to have more control of your range and your opponent will not be able to put you in a lot of trouble, when basically both have wide ranges and possibly reduced fold equity.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are going to 3-bet a small suited connector pre, I think, its pretty mandatory to continue bluffing postflop, when you flop an 8 out draw with the dubble gutter to a 4 or 8. You even hit the perfect runout for doing it with two big scary overcards to the flop, which hit your range very well. Bet something like 50c on the turn and jam the river trying to sell the story, you backed into top two with AQ or flopped a set or something. All his weak 1 pair hands like TT-JJ and worse will be in pure hell, and a reg will most likely fold them.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is okay to check the turn here if you are going to give up on the river.

But if this is a reg you think you can exploit this is the spot to bet flop, bet turn, bet river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should add perhaps, that if we tripple barrel all out busted straightdraws, we are likely bluffing to much. But this particular one is the perfect one to continue with, since it has literally no showdown value. Even if we get him to fold his better busted draws on the river like JT or T8, thats a win for us already. And as I said already, a reg will definitely also fold some one pair hands, if we tripple.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should add perhaps, that if we tripple barrel all out busted straightdraws, we are likely bluffing to much. But this particular one is the perfect one to continue with, since it has literally no showdown value. Even if we get him to fold his better busted draws on the river like JT or T8, thats a win for us already. And as I said already, a reg will definitely also fold some one pair hands, if we tripple.

I derped and didn't even realize I had a double gutter here, but it sounds like this would still be a triple even if the flop were 972 instead of 973, just based on my showdown value and and the favorable run-out for my range.

What if I didn't even have a gutshot? I.e if the runout was Td7h2c-Qs-As. I feel like I've conditioned myself to think I need at least some kind of equity when I barrel the turn. In this hypothetical my backdoors have busted and I have no draw, should I still barrel this turn and triple?

Last edited:
L

lcartaxo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I derped and didn't even realize I had a double gutter here, but it sounds like this would still be a triple even if the flop were 972 instead of 973, just based on my showdown value and and the favorable run-out for my range.

What if I didn't even have a gutshot? I.e if the runout was Td7h2c-Qs-As. I feel like I've conditioned myself to think I need at least some kind of equity when I barrel the turn. In this hypothetical my backdoors have busted and I have no draw, should I still barrel this turn and triple?

If the runout was Td7h2c, you should bluff with your double backdoor, e no showdown value. But when Qs turns, you shouldn't keep on semibluffing with all your combos. In this case, your 65s should give it up, since you could be bluffing too much. However, you should keep on with your straight draws (98s, J9s).