$2 NLHE 6-max: Getting out of line but gave up on river.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.72 (86 bb)
MP: $1.30 (65 bb)
CO: $2.89 (145 bb)
BU (Hero): $4.61 (231 bb)
SB: $2.26 (113 bb)
BB: $1.58 (79 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with J 7
1 fold, MP calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 1 fold, BB calls $0.06, MP calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.25) 6 3 4 (3 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.07, BB calls $0.07, MP calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.46) 2 (3 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.46) 4 (3 players)
BB bets $0.22, MP folds, BU (Hero) folds

Would appreciate if someone could help walk me through what they think of the parts villain's range that is folding to the 1/3 pot bet. On the turn what parts of villains range now folds and what calls?

I am experimenting with getting out of line and exploiting players. I am constantly watching and focusing on when they are folding, the lines they are taking when they fold and looking for patterns/ frequencies in their play.

Here's my take , tell me what you think. Also what do we think about the LJ's limping range since he is first to act should his limping range be stronger than normal? what would be a strong limping range ?

On the flop I think villains are probrably folding a-lot cards that completely miss like ,KT,QT,JT,K9s,Q9s,J9s,T9s,98s, a bunch of hands that completely missed. (or do hands like KT call with the 2 overcards do you think?)

I think what calls will be possibly a bunch of suited Ax. 54s,65s,76s,87s (gutshot+2-overs),
- the weaker PP's that are not sets
- I think the sets may be split between calling with some frequency and raising with some frequency.

I didn't include many broadways in villains ranges because I assume they should open raise those from the start a majority of the time at least for sure the suited ones.

Both players call the flop and a 2s comes. Both check to me again and I am putting them on mostly marginal made hands now since the board is drawy I would expect them to bet out some portion of the time with their best hands for value/protection.

I checked on this turn and I think it was maybe a mistake. I am betting these flops IP all the time for 1/3 pot because unless they are loose/calling station type players if seems like it prints money because as a bluff it only needs to work a small portion of the time. Anyways.. On the turn I think I should have bet.

If we bet 2/3 pot on the turn;

risk/(risk+reward)

30/30+47= 38%

Our bluff needs to work 38% of the time. Villain needs to fold at least 38% of his range correct?

I believe I opted not to bet because the bluff would have to get through 2 players.

Are hands like A8,A9,AT check folding to a 2/3 pot bet on the turn if they think theyre Ax outs may be good and/or the 5 to a straight is still there, or does that not play because if a 5 comes the board will be a straight correct?

If A6-AT is folding including all suited and non suited variations that is a large amount of range, roughly 30% but then the question would be do they ever actually call flop with AT,A9,A8,A7? maybe its player dependant?

Basically what I have as their checking turn range would be many Ax, a bunch of weaker PP's and some suited connectors that made a pair or have some sort of draw, when they are faced with a 2/3 pot bet I think most players would fold most of their Ax besides Ax with top or middle pair. They will probably stick around with PP's like 88,77. and I am also wondering if a hand like 87s folds here, the turn has not given them additional BDFD equity and they hold a gut-shot with two overs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I like attacking limpers, but you need some kind of hand, and this is just not good enough. So fold and wait for a better spot. Its a common theme in many of the hands, you post, that you are simply to loose preflop. This is something, you need to clean up, because without proper preflop hand selection, you are never going to become a winning player.

Flop
You flopped a gutshot with two overs, and a lot of hands have missed on this low board. So even with two opponents I would also C-bet, but especially at 2NL you need to go large like 2/3 pot. With this 1/3 pot bet they are going to float you even with random overcards, and you want those hands to fold.

Turn
This was a great card to continue bluffing, since it puts a 1-liner to a straight. Their ranges are still very wide because of your flop sizing, and if someone turned a straight, there is a decent chance, they would have come out for a donk bet. Not always of course, but lets say 50% of the time, so as played I would bet 30c to represent that straight and try to take it down. If I get action, I will shut it down, unless I improve.

River
As played easy fold.

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion on the $0.02 limit.
If you don't have many hands against your opponent, it's better not to bluff in these situations.

Usually we get shut out on K10(s)+ or A5(s)+.

Especially if the opponent is limping with MP. His range is either very good 99+ hands or small connectors

However, at such low limits, some players don't know the rules.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think J6o is not strong enough to isolate a limper with because it is probably losing to a typical limp calling range, and even the times it does connect with the flop your potential value is going to be capped and there are lots of opportunities for reverse implied odds since all your top pairs will be marginal. Even if this play is marginally profitable, I think the rake at 2NL would turn it into a losing spot.

Against specific recreational players who frequently fold their limp pre, or play fit or fold on the flop, then I think it is okay to isolate with a looser range since the fold equity is so high. But even then I prefer hands with better playability like 86s in case it ends up going multiway to the flop and we have less fold equity.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against 2 opponents, I think it's close between c betting the flop and checking behind. As played the bet is fine, but again, vs 2 players I will shut down unless I hit my straight or a pair of Jacks.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting out of line is not necessary to exploit players at 2nl. They exploit themselves with ease and are calling stations for the most part so all you have to do is play good hands and let them be the ones getting out of hand.

J7o isn’t good enough to use for isolating.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting out of line is not necessary to exploit players at 2nl. They exploit themselves with ease and are calling stations for the most part so all you have to do is play good hands and let them be the ones getting out of hand.

Exactly. The main exploit for soft games is to bet thinner for value and bet very large for value with nut hands. Like maybe overbetting a full house, when flushes and straights are possible. Beating 2NL is not about trying to make beginners fold big hands.