3 players fold, BTN calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.22) A 8 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.16, BTN calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.54) 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($1.34) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.75 (all-in), SB (Hero) folds

Villain Stats: 38/4 (193 hands)

A lot of times I am in spots like this against passive fish and it takes me until the river fold. Really hard leak to fix because on the flop I am in "jackpot" mode and then on the turn I am in denial and just praying hes on his bluff lol

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always a hard fold, specially to a player that we think is a money printer. But that 4 makes me think he is not much bluff happy. Maybe over evaluating his hand though. But in the long run the turn fold makes more sense.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree a lot of 2 NL players do not bluff often but they still do bluff depending on who they are. Folding the turn there might be too tight especially against certain opponents. When I see the hand though, I think would you be checking the turn if you had hit the flush yourself? If the answer is no then maybe villain has a "population read" on you and knows you never bet large on the flop and then check the turn when you make your hand after 3 betting pre. The bet sizing on the flop is fine since it will get value from certain Axs and flush draws.

On the turn I think I like betting small here to make it look like a value bet that you want villain to call (20 to 25 cents). If you get raised you can easily pitch. Smaller Ax that are not two pair will not raise you here but could call and you continue to get value from them. Certain opponents will just call there with the flush which can get you trouble but if they do not have the Ace of spades they will be less willing to do that. If you do get called then you can evaluate river based on card and either check to bluff catch, check to fold, or maybe even small lead and turn your hand into a bluff. The problem is by the river there are also 4 Ax hands that beat ours and these are hands that would limp pre and then possibly call a raise. I dont like bluff catching two streets here (if we are even ahead) and I dont like calling 3/4ths on the turn to fold river and to be honest I dont like folding the turn. This is just crappy spot where I think you have to decide what is the best way to play it and that may be more of a feel thing depending on table dynamics then a pure "this is the way to play it" spot. Personally without knowing any dynamics I would continue to rep a hand on the turn and see how the villain feels about the 3rd spade hitting the board.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: raise to 4x is enough, 5x is ok-ish.

F: as played, bet-sizing is just about big enough, you can go bigger to 75-100% pot.

T: as played, horrible card, we must slow down OOP, so check/evaluate, and after big bet by a 38/4 we must check/fold.

R: as played, easy check/fold.

To help with "jackpot" mode thinking on flop: project yourself forward to showdown. Ask yourself whether TPTK is still "jackpot" at showdown after accounting for all possible scenarios on turn and river.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
after you check the turn and call the turn you are inviting a bluff after the second check on the river. i think your hand is the best bluff catcher. i would recommend a call

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold on the river as well as you in this situation. But the hand could have been played differently. I noticed one important trend on 2 NLHE. If you make a check, then the opponent considers your hand weak and makes big bets, including all-in sometimes. A flush draw or a straight draw will never fold on such a board. Unfortunately, your hand is not blocking anything.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hero checked the third spades suit on the turn. Opponent bets 1/3 of his stack by completely tying himself to the pot.
Why call then? If you thought your opponent was bluffing, then there is no better time to go all-in. but if he has a flush ...
Therefore, in this place, it is better to fold and forget about this hand.
By bluffing: your opponent called 3-bet preflop (he understood that you had a premium hand).
What hands do you usually call 3bet with? Most often 22+, AJs +, AQo +
Calling a bet on the flop means he hits the flop. He has either three of a kind or A.
Checking the turn provokes him to be aggressive. What hands are you hitting?
Why not bet about $ 0.18- $ 0.20 on the turn?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's good that you recognize that. The trick is doing it in the moment.

Against short stacked fish, they won't usually bluff 6x there, unless they've shown themselves to be aggressive. If you're unsure though, B/F on the turn is better than X/C. But like you said, in most cases, X/F is ideal.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like considering the Bet/Fold option on the turn also. I don't think you can use it against all villains, but if it is someone who knows where the fold button is you're denying them a spot to bluff you, and giving yourself another way to win the pot. I'd be looking at hud stats to make a judgement call on whether to throw out a 35-50% bet that was less about value and more about making this an easier pot to play.

I suspect many at 2nl over fold when you rep a flush, and I wouldn't mind taking a pot down on the turn out of position when I only have a pair if it means avoiding tricky turn/river spots. Just avoid doing this vs calling stations, against whom check/fold is probably better, depending on the range you're putting them on.

Folding in Poker