Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.59 (80 bb)
MP (Hero): $3.18 (159 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.18 (109 bb)
SB: $1.04 (52 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with 8 8
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, BTN 3-bets to $0.10, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.23) 2 6 K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.11, Hero calls $0.11

Turn: ($0.45) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.45) 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

I thought my checks could possibly induce a bluff on the river, do we ever call here versus an unknown?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the river is a fold against an unknown. The rest of the hand is fine.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its always weird/eyebrow raising when you get min 3 bet but no way we are folding with 88 so calling as you did pre imo is the only option. On the flop I definitely think we can peel with the thought process we are likely behind but not always behind and we have to keep villains somewhat honest by not always folding to their c bets in 3 bet pots. Plus the bet was not overly large so I think calling is just fine.

The turn brings another over and I would be ready to most likely fold in this spot if villain bet however they interestingly check behind. Here I would be thinking they rarely have a QQ+ (because there are two clubs out there that should scare them enough to bet a monster) and any Kx or Qx would most likely bet as well. My thoughts would be then they have 99-JJ or have some Ax hand (most likely a suited wheel ace where they read they should be 3 betting but clearly dont get the concept) that is not a pair.

River brings a nothing burger so to me you have a decision to make. You can either bluff here to try to make the 99-JJ hands fold or you can check call hoping to catch a bluff. I think that is villain dependent on how tight vs loose pre flop they are and also how willing they are to fold post flop. If you know little or nothing about the villain I think my default play would be to check call. We may still lose when we call but there is some value in calling and seeing whatever hand they had how they played it. The bet is not overly large (although it fits a value size bet) so I would not be too concerned on calling and seeing what they have. Plus you might get the added bonus of if other villains at the table are paying attention they will see that you are somewhat hard to bluff and should see a few less bets against you.

Folding in Poker