$2 NLHE 6-max: Flopped trips good kicker facing triple barrel from UTG pre-flop aggressor

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: Flopped trips good kicker facing triple barrel from UTG pre-flop aggressor

Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players - ZOOM/SNAP
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $3.09 (155 bb)
MP: $1.25 (63 bb)
CO: $1.61 (81 bb)
BU: $1.52 (76 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.43 (122 bb)
BB: $0.89 (45 bb)

Initial max buy in 50bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q A
UTG raises to $0.06, 3 players fold, Hero calls $0.05, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) 8 A A (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.32) 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.21, Hero calls $0.21

River: ($0.74) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.43, Hero calls $0.43

Questions:
1. Would you 3bet preflop ?
I tend to flat against UTG open with AQ, especially if suited and don't mind BB tag along.

2. Would you ever fold this river?
I don't see triple barrel with air in micro stakes ZOOM/SNAP, but my hand could still beat some overplayed A rag.

UTG had AdKs

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet preflop. Villain will either 4bet or flat with ak. If he 4 bets, fold. You're betting on all 3 streets and folding to a reraise on the turn or river.

AQ is too good of a hand to be folding in this situation. Write it off to ad beat.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it looks standard the whole way. We also know that UTG is not that fish given his bet sizes are logical, you need to win quarter of the time or so otr. His sizing looks value heavy, but I don't think we can fold this even if we would like to.

Last edited:
CheesyToast

CheesyToast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 3bet this pre for value, I don't think that AQs is too weak to be 3betting for value. You can easily fold to a 4bet, or perhaps call if you think they're too aggressive. As played, there's no way you're folding this river.

It might have even been good to raise on the flop. There are plenty of worse hands that can call- any ace worse than yours is probably not going away, and there are lots of suited aces that could be opening pre. You can't know whether their range is as strong as it was without the 3bet pre.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very passive way of playing this hand to me. u r oop so u need to 3bet preflop to take control of the hand. postflop its ok to call the flop but you to build a pot raise the turn and bet big on the river. thats the way i c it

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 3bet this pre for value, I don't think that AQs is too weak to be 3betting for value. You can easily fold to a 4bet, or perhaps call if you think they're too aggressive. As played, there's no way you're folding this river.

It might have even been good to raise on the flop. There are plenty of worse hands that can call- any ace worse than yours is probably not going away, and there are lots of suited aces that could be opening pre. You can't know whether their range is as strong as it was without the 3bet pre.

I think a 3bet pre would be fine, maybe not for value but we certainly have this option. I don't think it would be a mistake.

Are you saying we c-raise flop? That would be very bad I think. Really if we c-raise we define his range much more towards value hands like 88 and AK. We also end up playing for all of the money with a hand that we aren't sure about. If you are saying we should take the betting lead here, that is probably worse than a c-raise. We basically tell villain exactly what we have.

Also, welcome to CC!

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would most of the time 3 bet AQs from the SB against an UTG raiser.

Further I think you played it well there is no way of getting away from trips with a good kicker.

CheesyToast

CheesyToast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a 3bet pre would be fine, maybe not for value but we certainly have this option. I don't think it would be a mistake.

Are you saying we c-raise flop? That would be very bad I think. Really if we c-raise we define his range much more towards value hands like 88 and AK. We also end up playing for all of the money with a hand that we aren't sure about. If you are saying we should take the betting lead here, that is probably worse than a c-raise. We basically tell villain exactly what we have.

Also, welcome to CC!

Thanks for the welcome! I see why it could be bad to define his range more heavily toward value hands, and honestly I would've 3bet this pre so it would be a different situation... But I still think that -all- of their combos with aces they could open with would call the flop raise. That's probably something like A2 through A5 suited, AT through AK suited, AJ through AK offsuit. They're likely also calling with pocket 9s through pocket kings here. Of course AK and 8s are present, but I think the benefits of getting your money in here as often as you can outweigh the negatives.

If you read the other player as super tight, maaaybe just call it down? But by that logic, wouldn't you just fold here? (That seems like a mistake to me.)

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His Ax can probably call, but 99-KK has an easy fold and is not likely to lead flop to begin with. It probably comes down to what he is opening pre. If he has A2-A5 maybe, but if he is tight and only opening AT/AJ+ then i think calling is optimal.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you played it as well as you could have. This is just a classic bad beat. Maybe rarely sometimes you would find a fold on the river depending on what you know about your opponent.

777alex777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a normal game against agro

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players - ZOOM/SNAP
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $3.09 (155 bb)
MP: $1.25 (63 bb)
CO: $1.61 (81 bb)
BU: $1.52 (76 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.43 (122 bb)
BB: $0.89 (45 bb)

Initial max buy in 50bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q A
UTG raises to $0.06, 3 players fold, Hero calls $0.05, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) 8 A A (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.32) 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.21, Hero calls $0.21

River: ($0.74) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.43, Hero calls $0.43

Questions:
1. Would you 3bet preflop ?
I tend to flat against UTG open with AQ, especially if suited and don't mind BB tag along.

2. Would you ever fold this river?
I don't see triple barrel with air in micro stakes ZOOM/SNAP, but my hand could still beat some overplayed A rag.

UTG had AdKs

Why are you just calling down all streets? You should either be reraising him immediately on the flop to gain more information and value or folding. And since folding st these stakes after catching triple Aces with second best kicker is insane, you really need to be Betting and isolating what he might have.

If he had reraised you from the flop or preflop, you'd know much more about his hand than just passively calling. If you had raised him on the flop, he most likely would've reraised you, at which point you could say, ok he either has an Ace with a great (maybe better than mine) kicker, or a set of 8s. If you had reraised from preflop and he either 4bet you or flatted, you could say respectively whether he has a big overpair or something with a lot of potential, like AK or a high pair, maybe a high suited connector but not very likely.

As played, you know nothing about what he had, and could probably have saved some money by playing more aggressively from the outset.

Last edited: