$2 NLHE 6-max: flopped top pair, are we supposed to be just folding this to a fish?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: flopped top pair, are we supposed to be just folding this to a fish?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
UTG: $2.04 (102 bb)
CO: $1.16 (58 bb)
BU: $2.12 (106 bb)
SB: $0.84 (42 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.20 (110 bb)
[/FONT]
Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 7 8
2 players fold, BTN calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero checks
[/FONT]
Flop: ($0.05) 7 5 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.06
[/FONT]
Turn: ($0.17) A (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08
[/FONT]
River: ($0.33) K (2 players)
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace, sans-serif]Hero checks, BTN bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

This player has stats of: VPIP 53/ PFR 03/ AF 1 (37 hands)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Are we supposed to be just folding top pair to this pot bet on the flop?
I figured there are many draws he can be betting or just bluffing all together.
[/FONT]
On the turn how often does the Ace fit into his flop potting range? maybe he has
A7,A5,A4.. but the turn also brings a diamond FD for even more potential draws in his range. River is a King but I am again wondering how often these high cards are in his flop betting range, of course he could have flopped a set or two pair and be value heavy but I am getting pushed around sometimes at these stakes and find myself over-folding, I will post some more hands where I folded AA to someone. I am aware against a flop pot sized bet I don't need to continue all that often, could very well be bad playing here. I am trying to focus on my opponents range a ton lately

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're worried about getting pushed around but you never once took an aggressive action in the hand. The problem is that when you play passively you lose control of the hand and unless you improve you're really just playing a guessing game on every street.

So, as played I can see calling the flop with TP and a GS. Go ahead and call the turn too getting 3:1 with as many as 10 outs but on the river, other than a complete bluff, what is it you expect him to show up with that you're beating? I get that you don't want to get pushed around but this is the wrong place and time to make a stand. I can't even invent a good bluffing hand that would take this line.

Ok, I get it, 78o is meh and you got to see a flop for free, you make life so much easier by raising.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have have an issue with the pre flop calling to see a cheap flop. Hitting top pair and a gutter I dont mind calling even though the bet is over pot but it is still small in the grand scheme of things.

The turn brings the ace and villain still bets but smaller % of pot. I dont like it when I am in this spot so I am indifferent here. I get calling and can probably make a case for folding but how many pocket pairs 88-KK (if the higher end is even possible) bet out again here with the Ace? So villain now is more skewed to set (which I discount a bit since they should bet bigger here) Ax, and biscuits. So calling to me is fine to keep them somewhat honest.

The river to me depends on one thing and that is what point in our session are we and what point in the session is villain? Meaning if I am late in my session and leaving the table somewhat soon then I would fold river because I think we are beat. If we are just starting our session than I lean towards calling just to see what the hell hand villain would open limp pre with, bet over pot flop with on that texture, then go half with ace and then 1/3rd on river. Also where is villain in their session? Have they been at the table for a short time or a long time? In easy terms... do you think you will be playing with this player for a while? Then you call to see what they are doing this with, it is worth the 12 cents. If you plan to leave soon or villain has been at the table for a while and might leave then you fold since based on the action you are probably behind imo.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I agree in the large part with guys. On the flop we have two options. The flop is very friendly for us, so can play donk bet or play check/call flop. Sometimes opponents can limp pre flop strong hand, but usually it is medium hand with some potential like suited connectors and he doesn't want to raise this medium hand, because it depends what image on the table do you have? II at table you'are aggressive from the big blind, opponents can limp pre flop hand with potential, because he wants to see cheaply the flop. Call on the flop and on the turn seem good for me, because we have many outs to win this hand. On the river I play fold, because of two over cards. Usually we lose with third pair on the river. So clear fold for me. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Totally on board with seeing a free flop with this hand.

Flop
In a limped pot I generally prefer to lead out, when I connect well with the flop, and this was a pretty good flop for your hand. But at the same time your hand is very vulnerable, and most cards other than a 6 or 7 is going to make future decisions more difficult. So I dont really want to allow him to check back a hand like KJ and spike a nice top pair for free.

As played the overbet is obviously a little surpricing, but in a limped pot I would not put to much into it. Its still a very small bet in terms of big blinds, and maybe he just misclicked or something. Or maybe he is passive preflop but very aggressive postflop and just wants you to fold right now. With top pair and a gutshot I think, check-folding would be to tight even to a small overbet.

Turn
If he had made another overbet or full pot bet, I might have bailed out now. But facing only around half pot and still having a pair + gutshot draw, I think, folding is to tight.

River
Now he size down even more, so we only need to be good 1 in 5 times, but there is also yet another overcard to our pair, which he might accidentally have backed into with KJ of diamonds or something like that. I dont think, he is bluffing very often, but maybe once in a blue moon he has a hand like 76 or 65 and is confused about it, so he bet small for no reason. This is definitely something, you might see at 2NL from time to time. Calling also gives us information, what he heck he took this weird line with, and we can use that information to create a strategy against him. So I dont hate calling, but would not hate folding either.

Folding in Poker