$2 NLHE 6-max: Facing shove with trip aces on the flop

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I lose with trips to set or higher kicker. Is it ever okay to fold trips?

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $3.15 (158 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.31 (116 bb)
BU: $1.86 (93 bb)
SB: $1.73 (87 bb)
BB: $1.00 (50 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with 4 A
UTG raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, CO calls $0.06, 3 players fold

Flop: ($0.21) A A T (3 players)
UTG bets $0.12, Hero raises to $0.41, CO folds, UTG raises to $3.09 (all-in), Hero calls $1.53 (all-in)

Last edited:
Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is OK to fold preflop this hand.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah fold pre in MP. I'm generally just calling this hand from BTN or BB, or 3 bet bluffing it, depending on opponents/action.

As played, unless you have a read this villain is loose and crazy, they should have a tight range from UTG that has a lot of very strong Ax that dominate you here. So this is not a fist pump value spot where we raise on the flop. You actually just want to keep the pot small because here by being very aggressive you either fold out hands with no ace or get stacked by the range villain wants to continue with vs aggression.
The CO also has a polarised continuing range vs your flop raise, either they have nothing, an underpair, a flush draw... or trips better kicker. You are screaming I have an ace here, what do you expect to call you that you beat? It is a gross board for most hands.

Folding trips is no crime. The kicker matters, particularly when a villain clearly wants to play for stacks and has a range that includes many aces with better kickers than yours. Don't raise in this sort of spot.

Anyway when villain jams this is an easy fold unless you have a specific read they are a nutcase playing wild and loose. Think of all the hands in his range that jam and count how many you beat.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few other things on top of what others have said. When you over call in this spot you can get squeezed often which will put you in a rough spot for the rest of the hand. As far as the flop goes in these spots you need to come up with hands worse than yours that would be doing the action of the villain for you to even contemplate calling. What worse hands jam over your raise here? You clearly are repping Ax so villain is not doing this with air. They would not do this with KK-JJ and I highly doubt they do this with KQ of clubs either as the board is paired and even when they hit a flush they have to worry about the boat re draw. That leaves only other Ax doing this. A2 and A3 is all you beat and you really arent beating them since with the turn and river coming you will chop with them every time unless you get a 4. So pretty clearly villain has you every time here and you should fold.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre-flop or 3-bet. Why would you raise this flop? And yes, you can fold to an EP opener who shoves over your flop raise. :)

You got stacked in this hand though because you shouldn't have been in it to begin with.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: 3bet. Don't know why people say fold, this is a great hand to 3bet. If villain is very tight, you can fold obviously, but be default it should be 3bet.

Flop: Just call. Villain has a lot of better trips, and villain's hands that you are targeting, like QQ-KK, would mostly fold to your raise. Calling is way more profitable, because villain might continue to bet those hands and bluffs. As played, when villain shoves over your raise it's an easy fold. You don't beat any value hand and it's very hard for villain to come up with bluffs here. When you raise a lot of people know that you have Ax, so they don't bluff these spots. It's an easy fold.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, this is a very aggressive flop game. You put all in and hope that the opponent has a flush draw in the worst case and 35% to win. But UTG can have AK, AQ, AJ, AT, and even TT in its range. A lot of hands are hitting you. Therefore, the best option is simply to call and try to reach the showdown, paying attention to the size of the UTG bets.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in the large part with guys. I also play call pre flop from the button, small blind and big blinds position A4s. So in this situation it is fold pre flop for me. As played - on the flop I prefer only call to pot control, because we have to weak kicker. I want to cheaply go to the river and I won to cheaply see the showdown. I agree that it is better line than rise, for me it is more profitable and if we lose sometimes we save more money. GL :)