$2 NLHE 6-max: Facing check-raise allin on the turn in limped pot

T

TopferHarald

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF: I'm in the BB and the pot gets limped to me so I just check.
Flop: I flop top pair and bet, villian check-raises with a minbet and I call.
Turn: Here it gets interesting, the turn brings me a 2-pair and i bet again but now get check-raised allin. Since its a limped pot he could have anything, so I think maybe he has some 2-pair aswell or just toppair. Since I'm beating some 2-pairs and all other pairs im calling his raise.

Was this call right or should I fold here?

IPoker No-Limit Hold'em, €0.02 BB (4 handed) - IPoker Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Hero (BB) (€2.03)
UTG (€0.81)
Button (€3.92)
SB (€2.20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:heart:, 3:club:
1 fold, Button calls €0.02, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: (€0.05) Q:club:, K:club:, 5:diamond: (2 players)
Hero bets €0.03, Button raises €0.06, Hero calls €0.03

Turn: (€0.17) 3:diamond: (2 players)
Hero bets €0.11, Button raises €3.84 (All-In), Hero calls €1.84 (All-In)

River: (€4.07) 10:heart: (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: €4.07

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He didn't check-raise you all-in; you lead out on the turn and got raised.

Preflop you can either check or raise to somewhere between 8c and 10c. I'm not sure which I prefer. I usually love to punish people for open-limping on the BTN, but then again, K3o is a very weak hand.

Flop looks pretty standard. Glad to see you betting and then calling the min-raise.

The turn is where you screwed up. You should be either check-calling or check-raising the turn. You shouldn't be donking out here when you don't have the betting initiative and you have no reason to think that the villain is going to check back the turn.

As played, this shove looks incredibly strong, given the huge SPR of playing with 100bb stacks in a limped pot. It's a very close one between calling and folding. I don't expect the villain to have anything worse than 2 pairs here, so you basically just have to count the number of combos of hands that you beat vs hands that have you beat and then make a decision.

I estimate that the villains' range, given his limp-call preflop and his min-raise on the flop, is going to look something like this:
- 3 combos of 55
- 9 combos of Q5
- 6 combos of K5

I don't think that the villain is ever limping the button with KQ, KK or QQ, and I also don't think that this kind of passive villain is the kind that will semi-bluff with a combo draw like JcTc, so we will remove those from his range. I also don't think that 3x is in the villain's range, since he showed aggression (the min-raise) on the flop, so I don't think that the turn card would've helped him in any way.

So you're beating 9 combos and losing to 9 combos, which makes your call just slightly profitable.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fine leading the turn. The flop raise could easily be to buy a free river with a draw, and our hand improved on a blank.

When villain shoves, it looks like a bad player trapping (himself) with aces. Plus there's all manner of pair or straight draw hands that could've picked up a flush draw on the turn. I call his shove and like it.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fine leading the turn. The flop raise could easily be to buy a free river with a draw, and our hand improved on a blank.

When villain shoves, it looks like a bad player trapping (himself) with aces. Plus there's all manner of pair or straight draw hands that could've picked up a flush draw on the turn. I call his shove and like it.
^ This.

Nh, imo.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What makes you think that the villain is ever checking back this turn after min-raising the flop? I guarantee that the villain is betting this turn 99% of the time when checked to, regardless of what the villain has. How often does a player min-raise the flop then check back the turn, especially on a wet board like this? He's going to barrel the turn, I guarantee.

It's unlikely that the villain has a draw anyway. Why is he min-raising the flop with a draw? Surely he'd raise bigger than that if he had a draw and wanted to play it aggressively? And do passive fish ever raise flops with draws anyway (remember that he open-limped the button, which means he's probably not the most aggressive player out there)?

I am fine with either a check-call or check-raise on the turn, but I still am not convinced that donk betting the turn is correct (not against this type of villain at least).

EDIT: Looking back on it, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the villain did show up with AA here, so I am calling this turn shove, as played.

Last edited: