$2 NLHE 6-max: Easy Laydown Versus this Multi-way pot bet?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.05 (103 bb)
MP: $2.67 (134 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.49 (125 bb)
BU: $4.96 (248 bb)
SB: $3.14 (157 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 7 J
1 fold, MP raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.25) 8 A J (4 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.24, 2 players fold, CO (Hero) folds

I did see this particular villain doing this type thing before, betting pot when checked to, so I am wondering if he is doing this with a polarized range. I think for MDF we need to defend 50% of hands here. If we are playing a hand like J7s how can we figure how wide our range is? is there a way I can figure out the perimeter of how wide my range would be if I am playing J7s? like does that mean I am playing Q7s and hands that are better obv? We should probably be defending better hands than this in the spot but how wide is our range and what would we call with?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Call or 3-bet JTs and maybe J9s but fold J8s or worse.

Flop
Easy fold given multiway pot and also betsizing.

C

carter2143

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
建議下注3Bet,如果對手下注更高,則放棄。

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 2NL I think it's best to never call from outside the big blind except in rare situations like set mining against calling station recreational players.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At 2NL I think it's best to never call from outside the big blind except in rare situations like set mining against calling station recreational players.

I actually think, you can do more cold calling at 2NL than higher limits, because your opponents are not going to be squeezing as often, as they should, and many are also really bad postflop. So especially on CO and BTN its fine to stick in a call now and then with a playable but not nutted hand. However J7s is not the hand, we want to take to the streets :)

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold as played, though I'd really reconsider playing J7d as a call vs. a raise. Opens yourself up to squeezes, doesn't play super well post flop, and when you do get there the rake is killer in micros.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Button seldom has an Ace in his range. I might have called with middle pair and backdoor flush draw. But folding is not bad either especially in a multi-way pot where one has do defend less.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your call range on CO should not be more than 10%. There will also be a group of hands with which you will do 3bet value and 3bet bluff. J7s is a bad hand to call.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Button seldom has an Ace in his range.

If this was a high stakes game I would tend to agree. But at 2NL nearly everyone is a beginner, and beginners love to see flops with crappy AX hands. They also love to play passive and just call, when they should have 3-bet for value. So anything from A6o to AKs can be present in BTNs "range", unless we specifically know, he is one of the better regs in the game. And if he is one of the better regs, then this almost pot sized bet into 3 opponents on a fairly dry board is heavily skewed towards value, because thats how you beat 2NL. Like the guy has 88 or AJ, and now he wants to stack someone, who cant fold an ace.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Really depends on who your playing with, I myself have noticed I dont get squeezed much at 2nl, I test the waters and see if I can have a calling range, if I get squeezed I adjust, if I get theough enough by flatting then I have a flatting range, I actually think I could have raised this hand to isolate in position yes it is not the best hand but I am accessing my opponents and bluffing them when needed if I think they are not calling stations

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your call range on CO should not be more than 10%. There will also be a group of hands with which you will do 3bet value and 3bet bluff. J7s is a bad hand to call.

Its not the best hand to call but if you have accuratley assessed your opponents and you think you can outplay them or you know their tendancies than its not really all about your hand. Your speaking from a generic standpoint, Im getting out of line and taking pots that dont belong to me when I feel I can against a-lot of these weak players. I an wondering If 3-bet was better since it is a bit on the weaker side, alot of these games when flip comes and it goes check to me if I bet 1/3 pot they are folding a ton, if they call I can usually barrel on high cards or scare cards to the blard that I think are bad for my opponents range again assuming they are capable of folding worse pairs. Some 2nl players are weak/straightforward, some are passive and loose, some call down with anything, it all depends.

How does it work if J7s was the bottom of my range does that mean everything better is in my range basically ( discounting the best hands cause they would 3-bet)? How would it work for offsuit? If we are playing J7s Im assuming it doesnt mean we play J7o because its worse, so what would be the offsuit equivalant or better that would be in this wide of a range?