$2 NLHE 6-max: Do we call small 3-bets in position?

• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the flop bet seemed suspicious so I called, plus I figured I had implied odds. That being said, the bet sizing might make it a fold... thoughts?

I was in the same spot a few minutes later with KTo... raising IP and getting that less than 2x 3-bet... do we always call there?

Once he checked turn, I figured I had make the right move... put him on AJ, KJ, something like that.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (CO): 125.5 BB
BTN: 142 BB (VPIP: 44.44, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
SB: 216.5 BB (VPIP: 27.78, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
BB: 110.5 BB (VPIP: 38.89, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 18)
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 35.29, PFR: 23.53, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 5

fold, Hero raises to 3.5 BB, fold, SB raises to 6 BB, fold, Hero calls 2.5 BB

Flop: (13 BB, 2 players) 9 T 7
SB bets 10 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Turn: (33 BB, 2 players) 6
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (33 BB, 2 players) 2
SB checks, Hero checks

Hero mucks 6 5 (One Pair, Sixes)
(Pre 35%, Flop 16%, Turn 9%)
SB shows 7 T (Two Pair, Tens and Sevens)
(Pre 65%, Flop 84%, Turn 91%)
SB wins 31.5 BB

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold preflop with that hand. You have no advantage of any kind. The flop is horrible for your hand. You must improve your line of play. Regards.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is a marginal hand to raise from the CO but nothing wrong to play it if the players left are not aggressive 3-bettors. Almost always a raise from the button. Often correct to play a few low suited connectors in deep cash games if you have position (for board cover and not being easy to read).

If someone 3-bets you this small you always have the odds to call with almost anything in position (certainly suited connectors). So call the mini 3-bet.

BUT fold the flop almost 100%.

Even the gut-shot can be bad if it hits. And you often don't get paid with the lower end of a straight with four card to a straight on the board (if you have the best hand). Plus it is only about 10% to hit so you need to get almost a whole stack to pay you for implied odds.

Pre-flop: okay.

Flop: FOLD.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
65s is a loose open from UTG +1, but once you've done it, and get 3 bet that small, I think calling and seeing a flop is mandatory.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the villain has twice your stack, it makes no sense in thos level to enter the game proposed by sb with your hand.

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The raise pre doesn't make any sense, especially with that sizing. The call of the re-raise is okay-ish since you're already invested. Once they bet the flop that strong, you fold that holding.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should raise slightly less from that position pre... as played, you can never fold to that 3-bet sizing IP.

On the flop fold. Only reason you should be calling here is if you think you can steal the pot. But if someone is 3-betting that small and then betting that flop, they should have a hand that won't be easy to get them to fold.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with what was said about a smaller bet preflop. I think 3BBs is a good size here, some things you will want to consider is how likely you are you get three bet by the players on the button and in the blinds. If they are really passive, then 56s is a decent hand to open from the CO with, if you are likely to get raised given the players who act after you, it's an easy fold. I think calling the 3 bet is fine so long as you're in position on future streets.

I'm really not sure what to do on the flop here however, it kinda looks like an easy fold and at 2nl is probably is, but this flop actually slaps your 3 bet calling range in the face with dollar bills. You're going to have all sorts of 77 99 and TT (as only better hands are calling if you 4 bet) but villains range should be hitting 2 pairs and trips pretty hard also. Maybe peeling and calling a smaller bet would be fine here, but I think given the bet and how far behind his range you are, I think it's a fold unless you we're planning on taking the betting lead if villain checks the turn.

I hope this helps!

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop with that hand. You have no advantage of any kind. The flop is horrible for your hand. You must improve your line of play. Regards.

Tough love man!

Yea I had a good run when I first started playing .01/.02 playing with a "play money" strat. ... most people here at least know a few things about poker. Gotta show them a little respect!

P.S. How is a 3.5x raise bad??? I do it from all positions regardless of my hand or other players... .01/.02 people usually raise only 2.5 which I found weird.

Do I change raise size based on position? Based on players?

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry man, it was a mistake of mine. It will not happen again.
As other players said 5c-6c is a small open that can often be used to mislead rivals.
In this case, when you go up to 3.5bb you are looking to steal the blinds and at the same time, being cut off, you cannot generate a feeling that you are speculating. So I think you chose a good size to represent preflop strength.
Then after SB's little re-raise, you are forced to enter the boat. Honestly, that small increase is not giving you much information. Only the blind man seeks attention.
Anyway, we must observe the fact that SB takes the initiative with almost double our stack.
In the flop you have a backdoor flush + gutshot but your outs are inversely proportional, since you don't block the color and are dominated by a better ladder line.
You have initially shown a strong opening in preflop, so you have 2 options at this point. Either you fold your hand or you follow your initial line and you make a big increase looking for the villain's fold.
If you choose this second option you cannot place a small bet. You must make an important re-raise so that the villain throws his middle or low hand that he chose to play.
But the advisable thing in this case is a fold in the flop, given the texture of the board, the villain blocks many bluffs.
Greetings.

Last edited: