$2 NLHE 6-max: Check back river or go for value?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG: $2.02 (101 bb)
CO: $2.75 (138 bb)
BU: $4.67 (234 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with K K
2 players fold, BTN raises to $0.05, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.20, BTN calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.41) 2 5 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.28, BTN calls $0.28

Turn: ($0.97) A (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.97) A (2 players)
Hero?

Villain Stats: 27/25 AF: 3 (144 hands)

Should I check the river here or should I bet thin for value against under pairs? And if he jams on my value bet should I fold or bluff catch with KK?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the sizing pre which I think you already know but writing it anyway. The flop bet I would go a touch smaller but not a bunch smaller so I am fine with your sizing. I think in game I would go 22 to 25 cents but if you got them to call 28 cents that is a plus.

On the turn with the ace, which is a card I would not want to see I would check as you did. Not sure what I would do if bet into but I think unless the sizing is large we have to at least float one street there.

With the check by villain and another ace on the turn that is a non heart I am feeling better. I think villain would need Ax of hearts spcifically to just check there with any Ax. If they had for example A clubs X they would have bet there fearing the two hearts on the board. I would not even think two pair on the turn (A9, A5, A2,) would check behind but would want to bet for value. Therefore I think you are going against a worse hand here so it would come down to villain specifics meaning are they more likely to bluff if checked to or call if bet into here. Without a read I make up my mind what am I doing if raised here first and then decide to bet or not. I probably, readless, lean towards making a small bet and seeing if 9x or some other one pair hand will call me. I do think checking is completely fine as well readless.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In reality, the villain will rarely have pocket queens in his range. And the times he has that hand, he will try to regain value on streets before the river (assuming you make a block bet on the river and Villain raises your bet).
Because if OTR V raise of bluff with pocket queens, he doesn't get enough value from your range as he could only beat KK. And JJ or TT would not pay enough times, since a reasonable range of BTN (as it seems to be the V) could defend in preflop with all the pockets that now are full house and expect you to bet with hands of type AK or AQ (you block AK and the villain would be blocking you AQ, if he had queens).
Therefore villain has a range advantage on this board texture and I would choose to check the river and evaluate his possible bet, should he do so. But ideally on the river I hope to check and get to the showdown by beating TT type hands and maybe 88 or 77 which are more defensive hands for this sequence.
Greetings.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would bet for value or check here because your line is very weak, you gotta call ALL Check raises if that happens, that's why a check is not terrible, but you would bet all your missed draws so it makes sense to bet a sizeable bet here

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bigger to 75-100% pot on the flop.

Rest are all fine.

Don't bet river OOP, we don't want to bet/fold, which we will have to do if villain jams vs our bet.

We can check/call a normal sized bet on river, even readless.

Yes, check/call river vs a 27/25/3 guy.

J

JessTee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bigger to 75-100% pot on the flop.

Rest are all fine.

Don't bet river OOP, we don't want to bet/fold, which we will have to do if villain jams vs our bet.

We can check/call a normal sized bet on river, even readless.

Yes, check/call river vs a 27/25/3 guy.

I generally agree with all of this, def bet slightly bigger on the flop, into the 30c+ range. OTR I'd be checking and planning to call any regular sized bet, if villain pots it or overbets the river I'd prob find a fold, but if we lead the river we either get folds from hands we beat or get jammed on by hands that beat us, so I feel that's all we can do.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Def just check/call river

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i recommend betting the turn. checking makes your hand look vulnerable. continue the aggrwssion and let your opponent make the mostake.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will bet 3BB or cheq again, not many options!

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like check calling here.

If you were position here, would you have played different any TT-KK? If you had bet Turn and get called and faced another bet on River it would be very unconfortable.

And on his shoes with a winning hand would you overbet or thin value bet? If Villain had trips or FH he probably wont expect a hero call after a huge bet on this board. Unless you have an extreme calling station table image

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd check call river also mostly here I think.

R

Rotanes88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be leaning towards a check call on the river too. The villain can always be bluffing his missed flush or straight draws, they can also be turning a smaller pair into a bluff too.
Out of curiosity what did you end up doing and what did villain have?