BU: $2.77 (139 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.11 (106 bb)
BB: $3.52 (176 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q K
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB 3-bets to $0.18, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.36) T A J (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, BB calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.84) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.54, BB raises to $1.08, Hero raises to $1.69 (all-in), BB calls $0.61

I seen this player make a spazzy 4-bet and get all in with KJo earlier so I figured he wasn't the best player and thought I could call with KQo here.

OTF I am thinking we are losing to only Kx flush, maybe he will over-value his sets and Ax enough for me to stack him, if another heart comes it might be an action killer if he doesn't have a heart so my plan was to try and get money in. Turn is not the best card because it gives 1 liner to a straight so his best hands may get scared but I decide to continue barreling. when he raises me I think he can be doing so with any of his Kx, of course he can have a flush already or the Kh, what do you guys think is the best play here when he raises? do you find yourselves here or play differently? I decided to jam.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that you played this hand good. I don't afraid the flush from the flop in my opponents, it happens sometimes, but usually with our straight on the flop, we have the best hand. So if we usually have the best hand, we should play like to win all his money. Everything looks OK in this hand. Nice hand. GL :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.03 (102 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.77 (139 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.11 (106 bb)
BB: $3.52 (176 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q K
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB 3-bets to $0.18, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.36) T A J (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, BB calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.84) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.54, BB raises to $1.08, Hero raises to $1.69 (all-in), BB calls $0.61

I seen this player make a spazzy 4-bet and get all in with KJo earlier so I figured he wasn't the best player and thought I could call with KQo here.

OTF I am thinking we are losing to only Kx flush, maybe he will over-value his sets and Ax enough for me to stack him, if another heart comes it might be an action killer if he doesn't have a heart so my plan was to try and get money in. Turn is not the best card because it gives 1 liner to a straight so his best hands may get scared but I decide to continue barreling. when he raises me I think he can be doing so with any of his Kx, of course he can have a flush already or the Kh, what do you guys think is the best play here when he raises? do you find yourselves here or play differently? I decided to jam.

Thank you for posting.

As played stacking off on turn is fine.

If the player is spazy then we want to lead flop more often than check it. 1/3 pot should get a spazzy player to raise us and we can try to get stacks in on the flop vs a spazy range.

Check raising could get a spazzy player to fold some of the range they may just call down with. Weak Ax etc.
When we check raise here we would want the V to have a strong heart draw but not to the nuts but the only good heart left is the K and if they do not have the Kh they can only have the 9h.

The issue with getting all in on the turn is- after we check raise flop it is more likely the V has the Kh so we are tied and they are free rolling us.

It is possible this player is soo bad that they play the naked straight this way but vs standard players most of the time we should be hating the Q turn. When we hate a turn card we do not want to get stacks in. Check calling or bet blocking 25% pot turn not betting large is a good play as even a spaz could be folding some of their range on a 3 flush 4 to a straight board when we bet big turn after a check raise. The check allows for spaz bluffs.
We are never folding so if the spaz shoves turn after we check we call.

Our goal in poker is to not take actions that help our V play better. Check raising this flop tells our V we are strong. Big betting turn does as well. It may not matter vs this V but vs standard V they may fold 2 pair on the turn.

If you thought this V is never folding any of their range -which is what your turn sizing suggests- then we could 1.5 pot lead flop-shove turn on blank turns.

As played our check raise can be much larger vs non folding V as well. Vs that type of V we would base our check raise size on the pot size not the V's bet size.
Pot 44 our raise 30-34 range. If they really are spazy our check raise could be 1.5 pot.

We want to pile chips in early in this spot as at 100bb deep vs a spaz we are getting stacks in as soon as possible expecting the spaz to not fold.

Hope this helps
:):)

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting.

As played stacking off on turn is fine.

If the player is spazy then we want to lead flop more often than check it. 1/3 pot should get a spazzy player to raise us and we can try to get stacks in on the flop vs a spazy range.

Check raising could get a spazzy player to fold some of the range they may just call down with. Weak Ax etc.
When we check raise here we would want the V to have a strong heart draw but not to the nuts but the only good heart left is the K and if they do not have the Kh they can only have the 9h.

The issue with getting all in on the turn is- after we check raise flop it is more likely the V has the Kh so we are tied and they are free rolling us.

It is possible this player is soo bad that they play the naked straight this way but vs standard players most of the time we should be hating the Q turn. When we hate a turn card we do not want to get stacks in. Check calling or bet blocking 25% pot turn not betting large is a good play as even a spaz could be folding some of their range on a 3 flush 4 to a straight board when we bet big turn after a check raise. The check allows for spaz bluffs.
We are never folding so if the spaz shoves turn after we check we call.

Our goal in poker is to not take actions that help our V play better. Check raising this flop tells our V we are strong. Big betting turn does as well. It may not matter vs this V but vs standard V they may fold 2 pair on the turn.

If you thought this V is never folding any of their range -which is what your turn sizing suggests- then we could 1.5 pot lead flop-shove turn on blank turns.

As played our check raise can be much larger vs non folding V as well. Vs that type of V we would base our check raise size on the pot size not the V's bet size.
Pot 44 our raise 30-34 range. If they really are spazy our check raise could be 1.5 pot.

We want to pile chips in early in this spot as at 100bb deep vs a spaz we are getting stacks in as soon as possible expecting the spaz to not fold.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the in depth analysis, appreciated. V did spaz he shows KTo no heart and I rivered the flush. I havn’t thought about betting more than 3 or 4x the inital raise when check-raising but I do think you have good advice and I will keep that in mind for future, this situation on flop does seem like great spot for bigger raise. Ty

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the in depth analysis, appreciated. V did spaz he shows KTo no heart and I rivered the flush. I havn’t thought about betting more than 3 or 4x the inital raise when check-raising but I do think you have good advice and I will keep that in mind for future, this situation on flop does seem like great spot for bigger raise. Ty

Thank you for responding.

A concept you may find that has value moving forward is demonstrated in this hand. This V was getting all-in with any K on the turn no matter our betting actions. Therefore we do not need to target this V's Kx with our turn action when we know this. Also this V gets all-in on this flop with sets so we are not targeting that either.

The range we would be targeting is the weakest part of the V's range that may fold to large turn sizing. This would include 1 pair hands and weak Xh such as 33h etc. Vs spazy players with us holding near to the nuts and never folding vs this V we want to let this V be spazzy and maybe even bluff shove the turn when we show weakness or value shove 2 pair.
But we need to show weakness to get that range to spaz.
We can as I mentioned before bet smaller to seem weak or check.

Hope this helps