$2 NLHE 6-max: Big draw, how would you play this?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $3.17 (159 bb)
MP: $2.59 (130 bb)
CO (Hero): $4.74 (237 bb)
BU: $2.46 (123 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 8 9
1 fold, MP raises to $0.07, Hero calls $0.07, BTN calls $0.07, 1 fold, BB calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.29) 3 5 9 (4 players)
BB checks, MP bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, BTN calls $0.08, BB folds

Turn: ($0.53) 7 (3 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.17, BTN calls $0.17, MP calls $0.17

River: ($1.04) 6 (3 players)
MP checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $1, MP folds, Hero calls $1

On the river I timed out thinking if I wanted to bet or not and it made me check, I was kind of scared of the front door flush but the V was an aggro-fish. We do lose to T8 and flushes, do we bet for value and fold to raise here or check call?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3.5bb is not a great price on a call so I would 3-bet or fold pre here. Does MP always open for 3.5bb? If not I would fold because there are definitely some 2NL recs that size up like this with a big hand. Against an unknown, at least in my pool, this sizing reps a stronger range on average.

On the river, against an aggro fish specifically, I think he has 2-pair, sets, worse straights, or a chop enough of the time for this call to be profitable.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Bit of a loosy-goosy call especially against a 3,5BB open.

Flop
Dont see any reason to do anything else than call here.

Turn
When MP gives up his betting lead, he probably have two overcards and is giving up. BTN probably have some sort of draw, weak pair or a pure float. We are likely ahead here and even picked up a gutshot in case, we need it. So I would also bet for value, but I would not go for this very small sizing, which is almost begging for them to stick around and try to draw out on you.

River
You improved to a straight, but its not the cleanest situation, since T8 has a higher straight, and diamonds came in as well. Often people tend to panic to much about 3 cards of the same suit on the board, but here it definitely matter. You are still against two opponents, and all the flush cards on the board are very low leaving of ton of realistic combos, they can both have.

So it seems a little thin to go for value here especially against two opponents. I think, its more a check and make a decision spot. And against an agro fish I guess, its close your eyes and call. You need to be good 1 out of 3 times, and there are probably enough chops, overvalued 4x or pure bluffs in his range to snap this off.