$2 NLHE 6-max: Best strategy here to exploit a rec player?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.80 (90 bb)
BU: $2.67 (134 bb)
SB: $2.27 (114 bb)
BB (Hero): $3.79 (190 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with J K
1 fold, BTN raises to $0.05, SB calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.15) 3 A 9 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.05, SB folds, Hero calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.25) A (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.25) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.33, BU folds

BTN Stats: 39/13, Fold to 3-bet: 3% (1/31) (1k hands)
SB Stats: 20/15, Fold to 3-bet 77% (10/13) (600 hands)

Pre-flop should I squeeze? A squeeze has very little fold equity against the BTN. My hand is definitely ahead of his range when he calls but I am OOP. Generally I tried to avoid 3-betting from OOP against opponents with low fold equity but since this is a fish I now think my strategy should be to isolate and 1) go for value the times that I hit a pair 2) bluff with strong draws that have implied odd potential, and 3) give up the rest.

As played on the flop should this be a XR with big implied odds against a fish?

On the river I have no clue what I am doing. I think maybe I should have checked and taken the showdown value with K high. Not sure if this bet is ever folding out his under pairs.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That we are out of position here against the button is, I believe, the argument for a 3-bet pre.

It also makes us look strong so I'd barrel at that flop and especially that turn. However, if I'd taken that line I'd probably give up on river if villain had called my 3-bet pre, and my two barrels. But I think a large chunk of the time he'd have folded to one of those.

That line would also build a nice pot for the times you make your flush on turn or river. On this line you take here you're often not getting paid when you do hit.

3-betting pre I think let's you sell a donk bet into the flop as well, which I think is better here than a check-raise. If you check-raise this flop, he is rarely folding an Ace, but he almost always is folding if another club comes.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is best seach a isolation in preflop. You have a good combination of broadways to try it. Enter a range bet on the flop and you'll easily get villains to fold. When you simply call you are giving away the flop to many smaller speculative hands than your own. And they should pay more to enter this pot. Mainly because you have no position with respect to the opener.
As played, when you overbet the river it is not credible that you have played that way with an ace, so your opponents calling range should be widened by default. And if you are looking for an exploitative line I recommend you check the river, since your range is perceived very weak in this sequence.
If you 3-bet and then cbet flop, on the river you could bet half of what you bet to throw away a worse hand that doesn't hold up to all the pressure. (I mean, a 2/3 pot betting OTR ratio).
Greetings.

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-bet pre to try and ISO the btn is ideal. You don't want to play w/ the SB reg in your hand. As played, a flop CR is good vs a rec player that won't understand you shouldn't be CRing that flop often. Don't hate a call either of course. Turn is std. River bet looks good.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.80 (90 bb)
BU: $2.67 (134 bb)
SB: $2.27 (114 bb)
BB (Hero): $3.79 (190 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with J K
1 fold, BTN raises to $0.05, SB calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.15) 3 A 9 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.05, SB folds, Hero calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.25) A (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.25) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.33, BU folds

BTN Stats: 39/13, Fold to 3-bet: 3% (1/31) (1k hands)
SB Stats: 20/15, Fold to 3-bet 77% (10/13) (600 hands)

Pre-flop should I squeeze? A squeeze has very little fold equity against the BTN. My hand is definitely ahead of his range when he calls but I am OOP. Generally I tried to avoid 3-betting from OOP against opponents with low fold equity but since this is a fish I now think my strategy should be to isolate and 1) go for value the times that I hit a pair 2) bluff with strong draws that have implied odd potential, and 3) give up the rest.

As played on the flop should this be a XR with big implied odds against a fish?

On the river I have no clue what I am doing. I think maybe I should have checked and taken the showdown value with K high. Not sure if this bet is ever folding out his under pairs.

Thank you for posting.

The key to knowing what we are doing on the river involves range defining street by street.

So a very good exercise for you is to build ranges for hands like this and then practice how to refine those ranges.

You will want to start with RFI ranges 4 handed you may be able to find charts for free premade you can then refine those based on your V tendencies.

As others have stated that range estimate would suggest that you can 3 bet this hand preflop.

Then on the flop we refine our V's range based on their actions.
A simple example would be
V min bets 33 99 AK-J: A9 but does not have 93
Min bets KK QQ JJ for pot control or do they?
TT-22 -no set- may be larger bet because flush draw is present or representing the A as a semi bluff
this is where we use player pool notes to know if our V use a min bet flop bigger bet turn as a bluff or are they just pot controlling when they min bet or combination but what is more common etc.

Once we build this range we can then look at our range we XR and decide if the KJ is in the check raise range.

Hint if this is a polarized bet sizing on this board check raising into nuts or nothing is not the most EV+ play. We do not want to be 3 bet off of our equity. Or worse the V has AcXc in this spot- a very important part of ranging is recognizing when our V can be ahead of us on flop and drawing to a better hand at the same time.

This is just a simple example but if you do even just a basic range estimate on each street based on V actions you will never be lost on the river again.

The question on river is what is the best hand the V will fold if we over bet pot? We know it is not the A maybe not KK but would they fold 88- 22 if not then we are not bluffing as they are only folding worse hands.

Hope this helps
:):):)

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: don't squeeze vs a 39/13 guy in nl2. BU is never folding (Fv3b: 3%), and small risk of SB coming along for a bloated 3bet pot OOP.

If you don't want to make a nitty fold, then it's a reasonable flat multi-way.

F: as played, fine. Don't check/raise, easy check/call to realize our equity, especially vs small bet of 33% pot.

T: fine.

R: check/evaluate. We don't have a hand, and giving up is fine. In general, no need to bluff like this in nl2.