$2 NLHE 6-max: Best line to take against rec player on this board?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 3 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

BU: $2.64 (132 bb)
SB: $3.94 (197 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.03 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with K K
1 fold, SB raises to $0.05, Hero 3-bets to $0.12, SB calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.24) 2 8 6 (2 players)
SB bets $0.12, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.84) 4 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.42, SB calls $0.42

River: ($1.68) 2 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.19 (all-in), SB calls $1.19

Villain Stats: 43/29 (14 hands)

Pre-Flop:
I dont have a ton of hands on this guy but he is clearly trending towards recreational. When I have little information on what type of rec player this is so how should I size my 3-bet with monsters? I wanted to isolate him in a pot but not get a fold.

Flop:
I am putting his donk on a draw or top pair or maybe overpair. I think I should have check-raised larger to charge his draws more (I gave him 21% pot odds) and to get more value from his pairs which he will likely call with.

Turn:
Turn doesn't seem bad since only a few weird draws got completed. Should I keep value betting here to charge pairs and overpairs and some draws? I don't know if this villain is a calling station or not so I am not sure how strong they are here on the turn.

River:
Backdoor clubs got there and if he had a pair of 2's it is now trips, but some of his two-pair are now counterfeit. This feels like a weird board and I am kind of in the dark on how strong villain is since I don't know if he is a station. I think checking back the river could be the safest play but I also think villain has a lot of top pair he is calling off with.

Thoughts?

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd want pretty clear evidence this villain gets all in with bad one pair hands before I took this line. Also that is a bad board for your 3 bet range and a very good board potentially for someone calling with a wide and loose range. You don't always need to ram your big overpair down their throats.

3 bet larger, 3 times at least, 4 times also fine. Personally I'd have done 3.5x here.

Post flop I think you need to scale it back a bit on this run out unless you're against a complete calling station. You're potentially value owning yourself otherwise.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I like your preflop and flop play. On the flop, imho, it's a mandatory raise, because villain has a lot of draws and top pairs in his range. So I like your flop raise. On the turn I would bet bigger, the board is very draw heavy and you have a lot of strong overpairs and sets in your range. On the river, imho villain has enoug top pairs and two pairs to make your bet profitable. Flush is a backdoor flush and you have K club in your hand, so you don't need to worry to much about it. Overall, except for turn sizing I like how you played this hand. Well played.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like how you played this hand, I would 3bet a bit larger to about 15cents pre flop though.
Donk bets at the micros are notoriously weak so I like your raise. The fact that villain keeps calling on flop and turn suggests he does not have a premium hand.
There is merits to checking on the turn as it is not the best for your range, but again a villain that is playing over 40% of hands a bet here is perfectly fine.
The river bet is borderline and a bit thin when the flush completes and the board pairs however you hold a flush blocker, making it less likely villain holds the flush.
A 2 is definitely in villains donk flop range, however it is still a small part of villains range.

I expect you to lose a small portion of the time here but the river bet against this type of villain is perfectly fine.

Turn bet sizing is okay as well as it sets up a nice river shove and still allows you to profitably call a river donk shove in case that happens.

Also just be cautious about stereotyping villain after 14 hands as it is such a small sample size. You probably need at least 100 before you can accurately make sense of hud stats.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the 3-bet preflop and I like that he just called. A typical 3-handed SB raise is 1/2 the deck, but just calling the 3-bet, eliminates he top hands.

Villain betting out on the flop out of position smells like over pai. If she had flopped trips would she let you bet? Hero's hand fells good here. I would re-raise more here. rec players will call $0,40 or even $0,50 as easily as $0.30. Anyone that folds to a larger amount wasn't going to call the turn either.

I'd bet more than 1/2 pot on the turn.

In a nickel game, I'd check back the river, but in a penny game, Id shove it in.

All and all, nice hand.